• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

France RWC 2011

Melhor Time

Bench Player
France are going to be as unpredictable as ever in 2011. A pool that is a dream has been gifted to France and will see them through to the final eight where they will be able to make everyone forget their poor late 2010 and early 2011 form. My preview:

<!-- m -->France are going to be as unpredictable as ever in 2011. A pool that is a dream has been gifted to France and will see them through to the final eight where they will be able to make everyone forget their poor late 2010 and early 2011 form.

My preview: <!-- m -->http://www.rugbymania.com.br/2009/ver_noticia08.asp?codigo=4196

The players are there to win the World Cup. Lievremont has been changing his selections continuously but if he picks youth over the 30+ year old players who are horribly out of form then France can win the tournament. This means not selecting names like Jerome Thion, Sébastien Chabal, David Skrela, Damien Traille, Aurelien Rougerie and even Yannick Jauzion. They should not be in the 22 for the RWC. France has young guys instead who are better performers in the Top 14. Assuming they are match fit in June-July then they should be picked. France could have an utterly devastating centres combination of Maxime Mermoz and Yann David (both injured at present). The road to take would be to pair them in the centres and not return to Traille, Jauzion, Rougerie or David Marty

France to knock over Japan, Canada and Tonga by 30+ points and to lose to New Zealand to face the second best of Argentina, England, Georgia, Romania or Scotland. France has the goods to go through to the semi and regardless of form they should. A team playing poor in 2011 still knocked over Ireland, Wales and Scotland. France was good vs Wales but below par in the other fixtures. I would bet on France getting it together for the QF and from there any side could win the ***le. If France get to the semi´s I´d lodge a bet on them winning the Cup. Individuals have been playing well for their clubs but the team is yet to get it together. This will change and France will be very strong come September.

My squad:

15 Maxime Médard (Toulouse)
14 Vincent Clerc (Toulouse)
13 Yann David (Toulouse)
12 Maxime Mermoz (Perpignan)
11 Alexis Palisson (Brive)
10 François Trinh-Duc (Montpellier)
9 Morgan Parra (Clermont)
8 Imanol Harinordoquy (Biarritz)
7 Julien Bonnaire (Clermont)
6 Thierry Dusautoir - capitão (Toulouse)
5 Lionel Nallet (Racing Metrô)
4 Julien Pierre (Clermont)
3 Nicolas Mas (Perpignan)
2 William Servat (Toulouse)
1 Thomas Domingo (Clermont) * - in doubt.

Reserves: 16 Dimitri Szarzewski (Stade Français), 17 Fabian Barcella (Biarritz), 18 Pascal Papé (Stade Français), 19 Alexandre Lapandry (Clermont), 20 Sébastien Tillous-Bordes (Castres), 21 Fabrice Estebenez (Brive), 22 Yohan Huget (Bayonne).

23 Guilhem Guirado (Perpignan), 24 Luc Ducalcon (Castres), 25 Fulgence Ouedraogo (Montpellier), 26 Romain Millo-Chlusky (Toulouse), 27 Sébastien Chabal (Racing), 28 Julien Tomas (Montpellier), 29 Damien Traille (Biarritz), 30 Marc Andreu (Castres).

Players to watch out for:

The Stars: François Trinh-Duc, William Servat, Thierry Dusautoir, Imanol Harinordoquy, Morgan Parra, Vincent Clerc.

Others who could stand out: Thomas Domingo*, Julien Pierre, Lionel Nallet, Maxime Médard, Yann David, Alexis Pallison e Yohan Huget.

The players are there to win the World Cup. Lievremont has been changing his selections continuously but if he picks youth over the 30+ year old players who are horribly out of form then France can win the tournament. This means not selecting names like Jerome Thion, Sébastien Chabal, David Skrela, Damien Traille, Aurelien Rougerie and even Yannick Jauzion. They should not be in the 22 for the RWC. France has young guys instead who are better performers in the Top 14. Assuming they are match fit in June-July then they should be picked. France could have an utterly devastating centres combination of Maxime Mermoz and Yann David (both injured at present). The road to take would be to pair them in the centres and not return to Traille, Jauzion, Rougerie or David Marty

France to knock over Japan, Canada and Tonga by 30+ points and to lose to New Zealand to face the second best of Argentina, England, Georgia, Romania or Scotland. France has the goods to go through to the semi and regardless of form they should. A team playing poor in 2011 still knocked over Ireland, Wales and Scotland. France was good vs Wales but below par in the other fixtures. I would bet on France getting it together for the QF and from there any side could win the ***le. If France get to the semi´s I´d lodge a bet on them winning the Cup. Individuals have been playing well for their clubs but the team is yet to get it together. This will change and France will be very strong come September.

My squad:

15 Maxime Médard (Toulouse)
14 Vincent Clerc (Toulouse)
13 Yann David (Toulouse)
12 Maxime Mermoz (Perpignan)
11 Alexis Palisson (Brive)
10 François Trinh-Duc (Montpellier)
9 Morgan Parra (Clermont)
8 Imanol Harinordoquy (Biarritz)
7 Julien Bonnaire (Clermont)
6 Thierry Dusautoir - capitão (Toulouse)
5 Lionel Nallet (Racing Metrô)
4 Julien Pierre (Clermont)
3 Nicolas Mas (Perpignan)
2 William Servat (Toulouse)
1 Thomas Domingo (Clermont) * - in doubt. (was posted before his injury)

Reserves: 16 Dimitri Szarzewski (Stade Français), 17 Fabian Barcella (Biarritz), 18 Pascal Papé (Stade Français), 19 Alexandre Lapandry (Clermont), 20 Sébastien Tillous-Bordes (Castres), 21 Fabrice Estebenez (Brive), 22 Yohan Huget (Bayonne).

23 Guilhem Guirado (Perpignan), 24 Luc Ducalcon (Castres), 25 Fulgence Ouedraogo (Montpellier), 26 Romain Millo-Chlusky (Toulouse), 27 Sébastien Chabal (Racing), 28 Julien Tomas (Montpellier), 29 Damien Traille (Biarritz), 30 Marc Andreu (Castres).

Players to watch out for:

The Stars: François Trinh-Duc, William Servat, Thierry Dusautoir, Imanol Harinordoquy, Morgan Parra, Vincent Clerc.

Others who could stand out: Thomas Domingo*, Julien Pierre, Lionel Nallet, Maxime Médard, Yann David, Alexis Pallison e Yohan Huget.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd have Chabal over Picamoles?
I know Chabal covers lock as well as backrow, but he's pants...

If France loose to NZ, they won't be playing the second best, they will play the winner. And Le Crunch can go either way (advantage Eng, though).
And I think Japan and Tonga will be harder than you make it look.

i dont watch alot of NH rugby but why didnt u choose jauzion? out of form/injury/dont rate him??

Once in a while he churns out some moments of utter brilliance...also him being a massive cult figure in france would make his exclusion very unpopular I would reckon

No disrespect to either Japan or Tonga but realistically the French should steamroll both of them, then again you never really know with the French, I suppose that makes it more exciting as a Frenchman, and worrying!

I agree that if France realistically want to win the World Cup they will have to leave out many of their older players. The French media would have a field day with these selections, but they have issues with just about anything anyone does. I'm impressed with most of your selections, but I would definitely still include Dimitri Yachvili. I also haven't been impressed with Szarzewski for a long time and would honestly leave him off of the squad for another player.

As long as Chabal is still playing and decent he realistically won't be left out of the squad even if he doesn't play. The French media would have a field day (err, month) with the coaching staff if they left him out.

I can't see France doing well at all I think it could end up like the soccer team I believe that the players hate Lievremont and they won't be happy campers

I think japan will get a shock win over France and qualify second after new Zealand in the group.

What are France and Japan's warm up games before the RWC? I know Canada and Tonga have the Churchill cup, as well Canada has a home and away vs. the States and possibly a game against Australia "A".

I don't see France collapsing to that epic of proportions.

They don't have to collapse to epic proportions, they just have to lose to the All Blacks (probable), and lose to the dominant side out of Canada, Japan, or Tonga (assuming that one beats the other two)

France can be brilliant at times, but they can also play pretty poorly at times too, so while you would bet the house on them not making the quarter finals, it's not totally impossible ... Italy beat them didn't they :)

... I know you didn't post it, but I can't see France beating all three of those sides by +30 points either

What are France and Japan's warm up games before the RWC? I know Canada and Tonga have the Churchill cup, as well Canada has a home and away vs. the States and possibly a game against Australia "A".

France will play Ireland twice prior to the RWC. There might be a third game.

France can be brilliant at times, but they can also play pretty poorly at times too, so while you would bet the house on them not making the quarter finals, it's not totally impossible ... Italy beat them didn't they :)

I agree, but all of the national teams can be that way, even New Zealand.

I agree, but all of the national teams can be that way, even New Zealand.

Agreed - this is one of the least likely pools to see an upset in, but I don't think the other three teams are going to be quite the push overs Melhor time suggests. They will be looking to beat the other two teams, and probably targeting the France game (rather than the All Black game) for the unlikely third win to put them through

France is just unpredictable this year so it depends on who's in the squad and even then...

I stick by my prediction that France will win the World Cup. I can't wait to be laughed off the internet when they get knocked out in the pool stages.

Agreed - this is one of the least likely pools to see an upset in, but I don't think the other three teams are going to be quite the push overs Melhor time suggests. They will be looking to beat the other two teams, and probably targeting the France game (rather than the All Black game) for the unlikely third win to put them through

I don't think France will dominate all three other teams in their group, but it could happen. In my opinion it depends on which players France will bring to New Zealand.

Latest posts