• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

France v England

Lipman is just the tonic we need i think. Huge amount of tackles he pulled off. It is nice that we are suddenly blessed with talent in the back line!

Saying that the english front row was cheating is a good excuse for a team whose scrum isn't fit for purpose. Trust me, i'll probably be saying the same thing after we play scotland or outer siberia.

I have no idea what balshaw was meant to be doing. In fact it makes the win all the more remarkable as england were playing with 14 men for the most part. The guy is like dan parks except the guy can't even kick. Thus, i bet matt williams loves Iain Balshaw.

How **** was Balshaw and why didn't France target him?
Worst player in the 6Nations by miles.
[/b]

I'm sure there is a Scot or an Italian that would trouble him for that tag but he was woeful again tonight, surely Ashton's patience must have run out now.

Isn't it fair to say that the French lost this game, rather than England winning it? They, as my Father said "look like headless chickens", and England did nothing but defend (well, of course) all night. Typical of England to ruin what would have been a brilliant (possible Grand Slam deciding) encounter between Wales and France in Cardiff. :(

Isn't it fair to say that the French lost this game, rather than England winning it? They, as my Father said "look like headless chickens", and England did nothing but defend (well, of course) all night. Typical of England to ruin what would have been a brilliant (possible Grand Slam deciding) encounter between Wales and France in Cardiff. :(
[/b]
Oh no speedy, it only goes one way, did you not listen to the impartial experts? its all about England vs Ireland now as England are the best team ever now, and it had nothing to do with French failed experiments and naive decision making, lets all ignore the team on the top of the table as everyone knows 4th is the new 1st.

Isn't it fair to say that the French lost this game, rather than England winning it?

Well, we could say that every time England beat us...

[/quote] of England to ruin what would have been a brilliant (possible Grand Slam deciding) encounter between Wales and France in Cardiff. :(
[/quote]

I think Walles vs France will still be the decicive match for the championship. Don't know what will be the motivation for Welsh, as there is a step in a Grand Slam or the 6N cup challenge, but for this young blue team, a lot to proove, justifying the choices of the coaches, and a 1st place would definitely be a excellent result.
So I don't expect many players changes for the next 2 matches, Lievremont/N'tamack/Reitiere will probably want to go to the end of their option.

Neither will I take any bet on this match before having first seen the team reaction after this defeat.
Italy, with their also strong/high defense, and their counter attack potential, will be a live test. I don't want to underestimate their strongness, moreover now they have a good example of the way to take.

Already impatient to see if our attack strategy will be the same...

Personally I thought France tried to go around England rather than through them and failed miserably. No point going aimlessly from side to side... the trick is to go forward. I thought the English scrum was excellent and totally dominant in the second half.
Going into an International without a genuine goalkicker is madness.

[/b]

Yeah fair point. We did just let France run at us for most the second half. As happy as I was when Sackey scored that first try, it just fell into our laps more than anything.

If Traille didn't miss those two first half penalties then it could have been a different game come the second half. The french game fell to pieces and England just took the opportunities when they could. Illustrative of this is Jonny's drop goal. Simply got it up the field from their own 22, simple pass out to the pocket, and Jonny puts England 3 points further in the lead.

The french defense in the last 10 was immense, but unfortunately you can't stop the inevitable. I'm ecstatic with the result, but I think it would have made the championship to see a grand slam decider between Wales and France, but its not to be.

Honourable mentions:
Nick Easter- Nothing flash, nothing special, just honest forwards work. A solid performance for him.
Richard Wigglesworth- Considering it was only his second cap, his first start, and in such a daunting place to play I think he played wonderful. Had a few moments of shakeyness but is a preferred choice than Gomars.
Tom Croft- See Easter
Paul Sackey- Majorly overlooked I feel as he had a wonderful game. Often helped remedy some of the clangers Balshaw made and I think he staked his claim for a start.

Dick of the Day
Who else but Iain Balshaw. Uncertain under the high ball, left space at the back and not only didn't have any spark, he actually took a lot away from what England were doing. Hoping, preying and begging Ashton to see the error of his way's and bring in someone with half a brain. I think at this point someone with no arms or legs would be better, perhaps the black night from Monty Pythons "The holy grail"?

On to Murrayfield!

What I'd appreciate from the Lièvremenont would just him to precise clearly that a 1st position in this 6N is not an aim.

Many players in this team are experienced, I can't imagine that none of them hadn't at any time the idea to alternate and vary the game (pressured kicks on Balshaw is just an example), so the only reason stays that Lievremont's instructions were precise about the strategy and the objective of the match

Now what is frustrating in France, is that we have problems to rebuild or evoluate without considering sacrifices, they are mandatory like revolutions !!!

Here would be the first lesson to definitely learn from England, who is able to slowly, imperceptibly and regulary renew its team combination.
In fact updating iso renewling.

I think Vainikolo deserves some praise. He was used more wisely and had the better of Clerc, which is no mean feat. He is far from the finished article but looked much more at home last night.

How did he get the better of Clerc, being on the opposite side of the field? :huh:

[/b]

As my friend said to me a few hours ago, France played badly because England made them play badly. France showed good back play in the last two matches, England's defence prevented that, our flankers were everywhere and France's breaks were cut down quickly. And throughout more than half of the match, Englands forwards completely dominated Frances. Every time a ruck formed, our forwards poured over it and made it difficult for France to serve whilst securing the ball for Wiggles. The scrums towards the end were ridiculous.

EDIT: One example of England causing France to play bad, France decided to run the ball from their own try line.. fair enough, not clever.. but.. England's defence a.k.a. Noon's tackle on Heymans I think.. lead to a try.

Even France's 'amazing' back three ran the ball into touch more than made breaks. When Rougerie went off.. 'I don't know why he's upset he's played crap' (Brian Moore). LOL that made me laugh. And some people say Lievrement doesn't care that much about winning, only wants to give younger players a sesh for the next WC.... If you weren't mad would you call someone a clown? http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/7261624.stm

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

As my friend said to me a few hours ago, France played badly because England made them play badly. France showed good back play in the last two matches, England's defence prevented that, our flankers were everywhere and France's breaks were cut down quickly. And throughout more than half of the match, Englands forwards completely dominated Frances. Every time a ruck formed, our forwards poured over it and made it difficult for France to serve whilst securing the ball for Wiggles. The scrums towards the end were ridiculous.

EDIT: One example of England causing France to play bad, France decided to run the ball from their own try line.. fair enough, not clever.. but.. England's defence a.k.a. Noon's tackle on Heymans I think.. lead to a try.

Even France's 'amazing' back three ran the ball into touch more than made breaks. When Rougerie went off.. 'I don't know why he's upset he's played crap' (Brian Moore). LOL that made me laugh. And some people say Lievrement doesn't care that much about winning, only wants to give younger players a sesh for the next WC.... If you weren't mad would you call someone a clown? http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/7261624.stm
[/b][/quote]

Couple of crackers in there, must rember them for future use.

How did he get the better of Clerc, being on the opposite side of the field? :huh: [/b]

To be honest Sir Speedy, I wouldn't be surprised that with Clerc's obsession last night with sprinting full pelt across the field for the touch line....which explains how Vainikolo hauled him into touch a few times..

<div class='quotemain'> How did he get the better of Clerc, being on the opposite side of the field? :huh: [/b]

To be honest Sir Speedy, I wouldn't be surprised that with Clerc's obsession last night with sprinting full pelt across the field for the touch line....which explains how Vainikolo hauled him into touch a few times.. [/b][/quote]

lol. I guess that's why some called us brainless chicken! I have to remember that one for next time I watch Shane Williams play (no offense Welsh guys, just a little intimidation :bleh!: )

But we tried you know, it just wasn't our day of genius. If we can beat Italy well, I have a feeling the Welsh game is going to be fantastic though. More space, and runners all over the field.

PS. I think when you watch Clerc and Vainikolo, you instantly understand what went wrong satudray night

Just watched this match today. England were pretty solid mostly, but France really did seem to be a little aimless at times, and probably shouldn't have insisted on running the ball as much as they did... it's good to play with flair, but unless you have New Zealand's back line it's better to play the percentages some of the time as well.
On a side note: Who the f#ck was the over eager douchebag with the lisp commentating for the BBC? Someone needs to take this guy away from the commentary box... and then beat him to death with his microphone.
Seriously, that's some of the worst commentating I've heard in ages. It was like listening to some pisshead at the pub who goes spastic at bloody every thing.

Latest posts