• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

France v England

finally got some time in the middle of night shifts to do important things like talk about rugby...........

Some thoughts on the game:

1. Really intense game from the off. France were giving it everything in attack, but England's defensive display was the best i've seen for a long time. They won the game in defense and especially the contact area. France were hitting the ball at pace and many times got good quick ball but by winning the collisions we stopped their attacks getting more dangerous as the phases rolled up resulting in them running sideways into touch. special mention to Lipman for 21 tackles!!!!!!! The intesity and the defensive focus finally gave the team a common goal (other than trying to win) and probably helped the team gel and create spirit and cohesion. It was sheer brute force and bloody-mindedness that has been the hallmarks of all the best English sides, so it's nice to get some back in the team.

2. noon's try. It hit his hand. But it was still a great example of England's tough defence.

3. Balshaw. His best game yet in a way. France having the ball and rarely kicking it meant his mistakes were fewer and cost us less than previous matches. Had we had more attacking possesion or had france kicked more. he needs to go, especially with the previously out-of-form Lewsey doing well at Wasps.

4. we started to use the volcano. Everytime he took the ball up he caused the french tacklers problems. 1 charge and quick ball set up the drop goal. More of this please Mr Ashton.

5. the scrum. We got several penalties (some converted by Wilko) and ruined some french ball. This could have been the difference in such a tight game.

6. Regan. Love him or loathe him he did his job. If you are relying on your defence it helps if the opposition make errors and get riled. Regan simply helps this. He's not the best hooker in the world, but on a day like saturday he was just what we needed.

7. France. played with adventure and no little skill. I don't think they were poor by any stretch of the imagination, but they lacked some muscle up front and probably needed a couple of big impact runners in the pack to straighten things up when it slows down before it gets lateral and they run into touch. They always looked only an offload away from breaking the English defence but they never quite made it. I don't think France will look back and think they need to change their approach totally. Lievremont is more likely to see where they go wrong with this and what they need to do when things aren't quite working and what else he can add to make the running game more effective. France were penalised at their own scrum when they had the whole field to work with. Imagine what damage their backs could do from a strong scrum which wheels the opposition back row away from the action. I still think they will win the tournament by winning in Cardiff, but they may need to rack up the points v Italy in case Wales win in Dublin.

Ok. rant over.

I know what you mean about France only being an offload from breaking England's defence or an inch away from breaking a tackle!

Watching Thierry Dusautoir hit the ball with pace and I had to watch with my heart in my mouth as he just hung there for a second while zipping past the English line, leaving you wonder with dread if he had made it through before breathing a sigh of relief as he fell down because of an unseen tackle. Afterwards, I was like "jesus christ he's fast!"

still left me thinking that we have a lot more to do to get our offence going. France looked so dangerous, whereas England didn't really threaten half as much ball in hand. i think we missed Haskell as a second phase runner.

new thought (i normally go for days before this happens):

Vickery seemed alot more involved against France. The first time i actually thought we might win the match was when i turned round to my brother and said "oh my god, we actually look like a team. We've even got a captain".

I think this sums up the England vs France game perfectly. From Mick Cleary of the Telegraph:

If the opposition know that you're going to pass the ball down the line until it reaches the speedster, they'll line up and knock the living daylights out of him. Jamie Noon did just that to Cedric Heymans. The rest was England's first try.[/b]

There were still a few players in that squad hiding or placing themselves in the wrong position, not a perfect game...

Going to be interesting to see what Ashton picks...

Obviously infuriated by the defeat, but some satisfactions already. Picamoles had a good game, and Parra and Trinh-Duc , although very young, are quality players and have a long future in Bleu ahead of them. Watch out when we sort out the scrum and begin to put everybody on the back foot. May not happen this year, but I reckon we'll a big threat next year.

And the ELV's are gonna suit us perfectly I say...

Obviously infuriated by the defeat, but some satisfactions already. Picamoles had a good game, and Parra and Trinh-Duc , although very young, are quality players and have a long future in Bleu ahead of them. Watch out when we sort out the scrum and begin to put everybody on the back foot. May not happen this year, but I reckon we'll a big threat next year.

[/b]

Yes very agile and fleet of foot, if Legolas is anything to go by.

But they are only good as Backs as their ears get damaged in the Forwards.

Dwarves are best there for digging out the ball in Rucks & Mauls.
No good in the Lineouts though.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

Yes very agile and fleet of foot, if Legolas is anything to go by.

But they are only good as Backs as their ears get damaged in the Forwards.

Dwarves are best there for digging out the ball in Rucks & Mauls.
No good in the Lineouts though.

[/b][/quote]

i think the ENTs would make good locks then.

Latest posts