• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

General Concussion thread

COVID-concussion--640x1365.jpg

Really interesting, sad and inconclusive article on Norm Hadley.

Horribly sad.
I met him once, at the Middlesex Sevens. He came and sat with myself and a friend. He seemed a really friendly, funny chap, but what goes on inside a persons head isn't always visible, is it ?

Last edited:
More an observation then a real analysis, but it probably doesn't help that the standard look of a rugby player in the modern game seems to be bulky as possible. Go back to the black and white photo days and they mostly looked like normal people 😅

I imagine getting hit by a player nowadays is like running into a brick wall in comparison.

Interesting article about Dylan Hartley. He too has been diagnosed with brain damage and is taking steps to see if he can reverse the symptoms by using hyperbaric chamber therapy. So far, it seems to be having an impact.
He says he's contacted one of the Unions to speak to them about it but they weren't interested.

Isn't Dylan one of the ex=players suing the unions?
Might cause a bit of an issue, if so.

I'd also suggest that players should be taking their scientific/medical advice from scientists and medics - which doesn't mean "don't speak to Dylan", so much as "don't put any weight on what Dylan has to say about his n=1" of course, the court case still might mean "don't talk to Dylan".

Isn't Dylan one of the ex=players suing the unions?
Might cause a bit of an issue, if so.
He's spoken very openly about his struggles/diagnosis etc. but I don't think he's part of the lawsuit - not publicly, at least. Whenever it's mentioned it's always something like "100 players including X, Y and Z" and I've not seen him be one of the named players

Not everyone wears a mouth guard though…..
I take it they will have to be compulsory from now on.
Probably or players having to sign a waiver to give up any future right to sue WR if they develop dementia, which I doubt many would. We shall see.

Well that is quite obvious, isn't it ?
It is. But I wonder how much it informs current players not to prolong their careers past the age
Of 30? Of course they need the information through (brain scans) number of knocks (via smart mouth guards) as well as number of concussive episodes. It's a cumulative effect over a long period of time.

It is. But I wonder how much it informs current players not to prolong their careers past the age
Of 30? Of course they need the information through (brain scans) number of knocks (via smart mouth guards) as well as number of concussive episodes. It's a cumulative effect over a long period of time.
It is cumulative.
Difficult to know how many will give up by that age.

Latest posts