• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Golden Lions v Lions

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Jun 3 2009, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Intentionally. he's definately in pole position, but Kearney didnt f*** up and we dont know whats going on in training. Byrne would be my choice, but its not a clear choice, unlike the others (at the moment, still early days)[/b]

Ok he did not mess up but I felt his performance fell second half.

Cannot see how Jenkins at loosehead is not cemented, showed tonight how good he was.

Podcast recorded boys, Prestwick should have it done and up within the next day or so.

Well.... that was fookin' great :D

Nicely played lads :bravo:

Some VERY, VERY good performances there and I'm sure that can only inspire those not playing today into really stepping up when they get the chance.

Just saw the highlights on S4C and I gotta say :p that was friggen awesome
Great display from the pack, they really upped their game loads from last week. Was especially impressed by Gethin Jenkins, AW Jones, Croftand Heaslip. Hines played well too. Ferris looked good when he came on, showed great pace for his try. The Roberts O'Driscoll partnership worked a treat too, both played very well and they really seem to complement eachother. Bowe looks liek the form wing in the squad so far, didn't see so much of Shane when he came on, but he's got plenty of time to prove himself, same for Halfpenny and Fitzgerald. Stephen Jones showed some very nice touches, and his goal kicking was superb too. Phillips played very well too, and from the way he was doin dummy runs all over the place at set-plays when they shifted him to inside centre, it's obvious that the managment have played with the option of sticking him at centre.

Just finished watching on S4c:
Now THAT is how a lions match should be :p
Players that stood out to me:
Mike philips
Stephen jones
Bod/Roberts combination
Tom croft
And Bowe, obviously

On a related note, i think Vickery played well today (shock horror), saw him make an impressive drive in the first half

Had an interview with the springboks captain after, and he said he wasn't expecting an attacking side like that, and that he's keeping an eye on BOD/Roberts

Stephen Ferris > Pierre Spies :D

Tommy Bowe was unbelievable. Seriously, I hope the days of me having to defend him on here are over, where is the so called GingerGeniusngerGenius now? Seriously Bowe was the main creative force in attack, and doing it from the right wing. Could be a major weapon come test time.

Jones and BOD linked very well too, and Roberts is the man. Like a train, very difficult to stop him when he gets going, he showed a bit of pace too.

I was pleased to see Croft play like a forward and not hang around on the wing all day long, and Barnes wasn't drooling over him all the time like he usually does.

The following I think are the players who are head and shoulders above the competition for a test spot.

Test Team:

5. O'Connell ©
8. Heaslip
10. Phillips
12. Roberts
13. O'Driscoll
14. Bowe

[qufeicarsinnfeicarsinn' date='Jun 3 2009, 04:29 PM' post='398768']
hey no robbing blogs around here
[/quote]

[quBumbadum='Bumbadum' date='Jun 3 2009, 04:23 PM' post='398767']
[quMunsterManMunsterMan' post='398761' date='Jun 3 2009, 03:51 PM']It's a good point about the Altitude. I think this is how Ferris managed to hurt himself getting off the Bus. If the land is higher then the bus must have been higher so therefore he had longer to step. He did not remember and strained his thigh. This is logic.[/quote]

Can't argue with that.
[/quote]

I'm just quiting Keith

He was excellent and is front runner for the test spot, but he isn't head and shoulders ahead of Sheridan (who played well for the first time since i don't know when on Saturday), yet.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jun 3 2009, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
He was excellent and is front runner for the test spot, but he isn't head and shoulders ahead of Sheridan (who played well for the first time since i don't know when on Saturday), yet.[/b]

Of course he is, Jenkins scrummaged well, tackled very well and was noticeable in the loose. Just wonder what this guy has to do before people take notice of him. Christ if he was from Munster, Ireland, England or Scotland he would get a better mention!

I saw nothing from Sheridan on Saturday other than dominance in the scrum, a facet that was enjoyed by the other 2 players in the front row as well.
He isn't in the same league as Gethin.

That's better from the Lions!

Very commanding performance from the Lions against one of the big 5 Unions in SA. The Golden/Auto & General/Xerox Lions were pathetic, their rush defense was totally unorganized. And that replacement fullback.. if he is behind Rose in the pecking order then I'm not surprised by his performance.

Anyway that center partnership of BOD and Roberts is looking very effective. Bowe has not made a mistake yet and Monye was very physical and showed more edge than your normal British winger. My prediction for the Lions Test backline would be last nights backline bar Kearney.

Only going on what we have seen so far ( before anyone jumps on me )

Test Team:

1. Jenkins
2. Mears
5. O'Connell ©
6. Croft
10. Phillips
12. Roberts
13. O'Driscoll
14. Bowe
15. Byrne

I'd reserve judgement on Croft until Ferris gets a full game, even in his cameo he wasn't overshadowed by Croft.

Roberts looks nailed on as of now but let's see what D'Arcy does when he gets a game.

Spot on Daylightfire, those are the close to guaranteed starters imo. Lee Burne is a test banker, as Kearney didn't show up like he should in a 74 point romp. Same Goes for Heaslip at 8, although he's probably frontrunner, Powell could still give a better performance (although unlikely).

There is still a chance Ferris could start at 6, but Croft was superb last night. He scored a great try, but more than that, he gives another valuable lineout option. Some may argue that Ferris does aswell, but Croft was excellent in that facet yesterday. Both will play their part though, it's great to have such options.

A.W.Jones took another step towards a test spot, but Hines looked good aswell, and we are still to see O'Callaghan! The openside spot will depend on what Martyn Williams does on sat, but Wallace put in a fine showing, so another great battle there!

At 10, I think Stephen Jones pushed himself above O'Gara. Both had flawless kicking games at the posts, but the rest of Jones' game was superior imo (he won't drop another ball like he did at the start of yesterdays game). He's got a much better defensive game, and that flick for Bowes try was top drawer.

Outside him, it looks like the only spot up for grabs is on the left wing. Monye put in a good performance last night, but went awal in defence a couple of times. Halfpenny, Shane Williams or Fitzgerrald could all force themselves into the test spot with a good showing.

It looks like we've found a great pairing in Roberts/BOD, they seemed to understand each other from the off. I don't think anyone's getting through there either!

Overall, great performance. But more than that, there's great competition for places all over the field which should force everyone to improve. I'm genuinely excited about our prospects after that game.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daylightfire @ Jun 4 2009, 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Only going on what we have seen so far ( before anyone jumps on me )

Test Team:

1. Jenkins
2. Mears
5. O'Connell ©
6. Croft
9. Phillips
12. Roberts
13. O'Driscoll
14. Bowe
15. Byrne[/b]

somehow I missed a 9 out :)

I'm biased as hell of course, but I still say Croft has to prove himself better than Ferris, not the other way around. Croft is a great lineout option yes, but Ferris's power and presence at the breakdown, his tackling and his carrying are all way superior to anything i've seen from Croft. Last night he proved Croft aint the only one with a bit of pace either.

Personally i think they should start the two form players at 6&7 come test time, there's every chance those two could be Croft and Ferris. Overlooking the other two already isn't exactly clever though.

Byrne vs. Kearney is shaping up to be a great contest. I think Byrne shades it for now as RK was a little anonymous in the second half last night, after some great penetrating runs in the first 40. Both have been rock solid under the highball so far as well.

If I was forced to choose now between ROG and Jones, I think Jones would just edge it. Though I think it's difficult to draw conclusions here given the gulf of difference in the service they recieved. Points kicking from both has again been virtually perfect, another great sign for the tour overall.

My certainties so far are:

1. Jenkins - Sheridan gave a decent account of himself on Sat but just cant see him dislodging the great one.
5. OcConnell ©

9. Phillips - The other two will have to be exceptional now to overtake him.
12. Roberts - Others again will need to play the games of their lives to oust him.
13. BOD - Who else
14 - Bowe - If he keeps it up could be the Lions best player.

All the rest I think are still wide open.

Latest posts