• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Golden Lions v Lions

I wonder if all these pro-Ferris comments would still be posted if he wasn't Irish... :rolleyes:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jun 4 2009, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I wonder if all these pro-Ferris comments would still be posted if he wasn't Irish... :rolleyes:[/b]

Have a day off mate. I already said I was biased.

Congrats on noticing I chose two Welshmen over their Irish counterparts as well. :bravo:

Still reckon the 6 shirt is still wide open for the Lions. Both Ferris and Croft were good there last night.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jun 4 2009, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I wonder if all these pro-Ferris comments would still be posted if he wasn't Irish... :rolleyes:[/b]

Ah...yes. seeing as Croft has played a full game and Ferris only came on as a replacement (out of position) and still played very well so it's a bit (very) naive saying that Croft's place is secure (and that's what we're talking about) considering that and also that Ferris was brought as first choice and not Croft.

But like I said it was a bit of a shocker that Croft wasn't there in the first place and it should be a great battle.

I think Kearney showed a bit of what he was missing during the 6N last night but I'm still giving the 15 to Byrne for test matches without much hesitation.

But what did Croft do that was THAT impressive. He offered the lineout option, took a nice try running away from a winger (Ferris did the same but ran the length of the pitch) and put in a few tackles. Its way to early to say he's a shoe-in for any position but he's certainly put himself forward. Nationality doesnt come into it really. Jones is better than O'Gara, AWJ is better than O'Callaghan, Byrne is better than Kearney ..... croft is not that clearly better than anyone yet. I hope to jesus he is as good as everyone says he is, but he hasnt done it yet. There is a lot more to playing 6, then running fast.

I suppose my point is that you cant pick a team, or look at certainties based on a 70point win over a mickey mouse S14 outfit. Its way to early.

The thing that is starting to excite me is that there arent so many obvious choices. Byrne / Kearney, AWJ / Hines / O'Callaghan, Ferris / Croft / Heaslip / Powell / Wallace / Williams, Jones / O'Gara, Ford / Meers, Murray / Genkins / Jones / Sheridan / Vickery (?).

Flutey, D'Arcy, Fitzgerald and Halfpenny havent been given a run at all (among others) so you'd expect the competition to increase more and more. Everyone remains in with a shout and there are no obvious dirt trackers at this stage which in itself is a huge positive.

I'm expecting to see Jones at 10, unless O'Gara does something special in his next match/matches

I'm biased towards Croft, being English, but i do think he'd be a better choice. I really don't think there's that much in it between Ferris and Croft, and though ferris isn't slow, crofts speed could prove handy against the boks
There's a good chance, imo, that monye on the wing is likely to happen
BOD/Roberts will almost certainly happen, which is good, as they're a great combination, but i'd have liked to see flutey in the centre :p Though i wouldn't be surprisd to see him on the bench

Fullback could be Byrne or Kearney, Byrne did play well againt royal xv, but i'm not sure whether that was just in comparison to the rest of the match being relativley poor, and though kearney did play well, i wasn't really wowed by him

The debate that is always going to rage on is "oh (A.Player) played against a stronger side therefore his performance is better than the man before him"

Going to be an interesting few weeks before the first test!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Jun 4 2009, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
There's a good chance, imo, that monye on the wing is likely to happen[/b]

I agree with you but I wasn't overly impressed by him as a creative force. Bowe over on the other wing came infield alot and had a creative hand (or actually scored) in half the tries, maybe more where Monye seemed to me more of a strong finisher with alot of speed. and an average boot. I'm not saying he's not good, I think he's an excellent wing but I think with Halfpenny and Fitzgerald likely to start the next match I'm not even thinking about anyone other than Bowe as having a good shot.

The only one I'm counting out is Williams who's been so Mediocre 'oh look at me catch the ball and run lateral before running forward and! making about two metres before being tackled....I ran lots but didn't make much ground and it looked fast coz I have little legs that move quickly!' START RUNNING FORWARD AGAIN DAMNIT!!!!

Moyne didn't set the world on fire last night but he looked like he could settle into the side comfortably. I'd have him and Shane about level pegging for now, given that - although he's nowhere near on form - Williams can change a game before anyone's even noticed he's got the ball.

A certain Grand Slam and HEC winning Luke Fitzgerald will take that position easily enough ............ if fit. Not a reflection of Williams, Monye or any of the others but hes just the complete package. Pace, Physicality, Step, Positioning ....... I'm sounding like Alan Hansen. He's can play anywhere outside of 10 (like Bowe) and has the skills and physicality to match any of those positions (like Bowe).

Unless he has a stinker, he'll be alright.

To be honest, I kinda expected the Irish players to let the side down on the tour. Given the season and relative success they have had I wonder what the motivation would have been for them. Looking at their performances so far I've been happily surprised. Still early days though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Jun 4 2009, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
To be honest, I kinda expected the Irish players to let the side down on the tour. Given the season and relative success they have had I wonder what the motivation would have been for them. Looking at their performances so far I've been happily surprised. Still early days though.[/b]

Bit of a silly comment really ... might not have the motivation .... playing on a Lions Tour is motivating enough.

Also with Edwards, Gatland and of course Geech I find it hard to imagine that those lads will need motivating or they would face the biggest backside kicking in history!

Actually, lets not forget the benefit of having Halfpenny on one wing that we'd have a massive boot that could probably hit it from 60 metres at high altitude.

1. Jenkins.

5. O'Connell

9. Phillips

12. JR

13. BOD

14. Bowe

15. Byrne

As far as I'm concerned, these players will be starting in the first test against SA. Unsure about the other positions; too much competition there to come to a decision.
At fullback, I've picked Byrne because he does everything as good as Kearney does (kicking; catching ball under pressure), yet he's got a better running game. Well, I'm just saying that Kearney hasn't shown his attacking ability for a while, so it's gotta be Byrne. Gotta be...
Also, NO SHERIDAN.

EDIT: Lol Mite, you never fail to reel them in...

I have lots of skills, this is for my own amusement - You're the one who keeps biting! :lol: