• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

H Cup Quarter Final : Toulon vs Leicester

Tait and Allen looked quality today. Think the wrong Leicester players are in the England team.

Surprised Toulon won that tbh, the weird thing about them is they don't even 'look' like a good team the way Clemont or Toulouse do over a game.

You cant play 20 minutes with 14 men and expect to win a Heinekin Cup quater final against Toulon.

Reckon Leicester will win the Aviva this year though.

Why do people dislike Wilkinson? He wins games with his accurate kicking and is a rock in defence unlike Ronan O'Gara. An outstanding player who has been overpraised due to the media, not his fault, and always shows dedication and loyalty to his side.

If only France had a player with his integrity and loyalty then maybe the 2011 world cup fiasco wouldn't have happened. World cup final or not, France were a disgrace.

Wilkinson is excellent at what he does. He's still a great place kicker, and is a rock in defence. That suits Toulon perfectly when they have a pack like they do. Does that make Wilko deserving of a Lions spot? I dunno. The Lions already have a world class kicker or two, and they have options at 10 who possibly offer more. I think Biggar offers more in attack, and in his out of hand kicking, but lacks Wilko's defensive solidity; just as good a place kicker though. Sexton certainly offers more. Farrell is a similar type of player, but prone to more off days with the boot.

I really do admire Wilkinson for the way he has conducted himself throughout his career, despite the injuries he's sustained. But he hasn't been a world class outside half since about 2004. I would describe him now as reliable. I do get tired of his never ending attempts at dropping goals. Don't get me wrong, he's one of the best at executing, and the one he slotted tonight was a good option, but the first one he tried tonight was a little ott.

Edit. @ SelimNiai. Do you hate Wilkinson himself, or do you hate the imo artificial, outdated hype that surrounds him? I think I understand what you were getting at, but you really didn't put it across well. Imo there is no reason to dislike Wilkinson the man, he's dedicated, humble and loyal.

Last edited:
Don't care about those stats, any 10 could get that much playing in that league in that Toulon team.

As for todays points, its his job. He is over the hill and I'm going to sound like a broken record but he shouldn't be anywhere near a plane to Australia unless he's going to Tassie for his hols.

Absolute rubbish. Several of those kicks he got in the match were hard, not "any 10" could get them, add to that his defensive efforts as well. I don't not what your point is about "it's his job" either.

Sivivatu was immense for Clermont, shall we dismiss that he was good because "it's his job"?

Also not any 10 could do what Wilkinson does. Just look at Priestland, Hook, Stephen Jones and even Halfpenny all choking in the RWC missing late drop goals and penalties which meant that Wales cost themselves wins over South Africa and France that they should have won. There are countless other examples of players not delivering under pressure as well, Brock James vs Leinster in 2010 comes to mind.

Fine, you want me to say it? I'll say it

I despise Wilkinson and the dewey eyed notion its 2003 all over again and because of his play A DECADE AGO he deserves to waltz onto the Lions tour.

Nobody has mentioned 2003 apart from you on this thread. Most are talking about his performance today, also nobody apart from you has mentioned "waltzing" onto a Lions tour or are pretending that he has ever reached his levels of England's golden era.

Also Wilkinson doesn't write his own press, and has even said he didn't enjoy the press attention that much either, so that is no reason to "despise" him either because of that.

I probably wouldn't have Wilkinson in the Lions tour, and certainly not starting, but I wouldn't complain if Gatland did pick him as well.

I like Jonny. He seems like a really dedicated player and genuinely nice person. I always see picture of him with fans and looking genuine, really enjoying his rugby and time in France. He seems to dislike the English media buildup that he has had in the past. Let's put it this way, I wish he was on the bench v South Africa four years back, and I wouldn't worry if he was brought on with the series tied in the third test.

I like Jonny. He seems like a really dedicated player and genuinely nice person. I always see picture of him with fans and looking genuine, really enjoying his rugby and time in France. He seems to dislike the English media buildup that he has had in the past. Let's put it this way, I wish he was on the bench v South Africa four years back, and I wouldn't worry if he was brought on with the series tied in the third test.

+1

Wilkinson wouldn't have missed that penalty that Flood put wide.

I always have a love hate relationship with Toulon.

On one had they've had some of my favourite SH players like Tana Umaga, Jerry Collins, Victor Matfield, Anton Oliver, George Gregan, Andrew Mehrtens and Carl Hayman - while on the other hand I realize it's clubs like Toulon which are why I stopped being able to see my favourite players live.

Also - they are pretty damn boring in big games. Wilkinson is/was a great goal kicker - but it's lucky they have Giteau to actually run some plays...

EDIT:

Also, for the Wilkinson wouldn't miss scenario...anyone watch that last RWC?! I mean it goes to show even some of the best miss and in Wilkinson's case - miss a crap load.

[FONT=arial, sans-serif, verdana, bitstream vera sans]Hard fought but deserved victory for Toulon, Leicester indiscipline helped them a lot but for the next round they'll need to be more clinical and not waste opportunities.
Hoping to see them in final for what could be another all-french affair if things goes well for ASM also !

About Wilko, he's maybe not as accurate as he used to be but he still performs well on big events like yesterday, I will always have a huge respect for his rugby talent and attitude on the field.

[/FONT]

Latest posts