• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

HB STUDIOS Q&A vol. 3

"No" to every question, what a disappointment. The outlook for this game is a double-edged sword, low budget due to the game's restricted market, but without the implementation of features seen in other recent sports ***les this game is destined to remain a niche which will only attract the established user-base.

This game seems destined to be a recycled rugby 08, a trend that will continue until a rugby game receives viable financial backing. Doubt ill be purchasing unless the finished product can convince me otherwise.

- Online capability may be its only saviour (if its even implemented).

Last edited:
well it's not going to be the flashiest rugby game ever going by the answers and HB clearly being on a tight budget but it will be a next-gen rugby game. also even if they don't post often the developer is actually reading this forum so we the fans are for once getting a real opportunity to help shape a game we love. thanks to all the staff at TRF for bringing this information and of course to HB for answering the questions, making rugby 2012 and reading this forum for our ideas.

i don't have a good feeling about this game... if they're going to focus on the gameplay and leave other things out then all aspects of gameplay should be addressed. passing is a core area of rugby and i don't think the game portrays it well enough. it needs to be improved especially in multiplayer where you can't pass to one another. also, the game only lets you pass to the closest team mate when there could be another guy one out who is in a better scoring position.. all the answers they have given us so far have been very vague like they've only said they will think about certain ideas but they haven't really said they will actually input any of them. that sounded really negative but that's just what i think.

I guess not many people are upset at all those pirates out there, who put HB in this position. The true irony is that by the law of averages I'm sure that many of those last-gen pirates are amongst the bleaters upset they aren't getting AAA production values.

I guess if any of you want rugby gaming to have a future you have to buy this game.

As for the passing complaints, they've said there most likely won't be any new passing mechanics, they haven't said that they won't make them work better in multi-player (that's basically a bug for them to fix, not a new feature) or that they won't refine the actual pass, it's speed, directions angling etc. I think they are playing down it being a whole new method giving a range of options etc, because it'll just be an improved version of the current system.

lol... I'm sure there are some surprises for us. You guys are jumping to way many conclusions. They won't say the game is looking good if everything is still the same as rugby 08 :p

I guess not many people are upset at all those pirates out there, who put HB in this position. The true irony is that by the law of averages I'm sure that many of those last-gen pirates are amongst the bleaters upset they aren't getting AAA production values.

I guess if any of you want rugby gaming to have a future you have to buy this game.

Very good reasons for the game getting an exclusive console release.

Very good reasons for the game getting an exclusive console release.

Yep, it was one of the first things they told us after linking with TRF, and it confirmed my long-held suspicions. It's sad but there's an absolutely huge percentage of pirated copies of particularly PC versions of Rugby games.

It's still a problem on Xbox 360 and starting to become it with PS3, but much less so than PC.

I seem to remember a while back around the time 08 was produced that HB said the problem with next gen consoles was that they're really expensive (ie time consuming) to program so I think we should all just be grateful they're taking this step to next gen. More can be added later.

On the passing thing they said no change in the way it works which won't necessarily be a problem if they nail the AI to allow better passing options either side of the ball carrier. Hopefully it's the AI and the ruck they're spending time on because if they can nail those it could be very good!

I also think a lack of manager mode/world league isn't a problem as long as online play is in. On my all time favourite rugby game Lomu the best games were always had against my mates when they came round as it's less predictable.

I think the people around here are getting a bit pretentious. First, it was about fixing the rucks, making the mauls, scrums and line-outs work. Now, it's about the passing, licensing and manager mode?!

I just want to ask you one thing:

What were your expectations in the moment you saw the announcement of a new rugby game?

There HAS to be an edit mode in this game or this game will fail .

A little harsh, but almost completely correct. It wouldn't completely destroy the game, but would do a lot of damage. Where there are no licenses, even the Ashes and International Cricket games had editing (albeit a little poor quality).

The days of having to play a game with L. Muden instead of Lewis Moody in a game you only get an edition of every 4 years are surely past. If not, sales will inevitably suffer.

We know you do your market research HB, but please listen to the fans on this. I'm actually saying it as much for your sales sake as for us as gamers. People will buy a copy, grow bored with the lack of authenticity and then sell it quickly to someone else who will not buy a retail copy.

I've seen average to decent-ish games on trading sites within days if I want a copy cheaply. Good games that people are putting in their collections sell for almost the same price as retail on trading sites, so people buy retail with those.

Lack of editing with scarce licensing will be a nightmare for both HB and fans for sure.

Sounds like they are still going using some of the stuff from rugby 08.. Can't wait.

I was really getting bummed by no update and then BOOM!! UPDATE!! really interesting reading on that core gameplay is the main focus, which is great. I'm seeing this being much like FIFA 07 on the next gens - Basics and next gen graphics. That'll do me fine. As long as theres actually Sidestep, fend etc that'll do me :D :D Was quite cool how one developer said after new year for screenshots but the other said before new year (both with "possibly" before each answer). Either way i'm just really happy there going for gameplay first :D :D As someone said - Rugby Challenge 2006 had licences but was weak in terms of gameplay (although i enjoy having a game now and again - they actually had different sidestep animations, despite them being random :p).
Thank you HB studios and TRF for sharing this new info :D

Please read the Potential Rugby Game? thread and watch the clip, see what you guys think?

I thought it was a nothing thread, may still be, but VERY worth inspection.

I remember once upon a time when Pro evo soccer was considered the don of roundball games, despite having no licences or manager mode - Ironically instead having what was nigh on identical to World League mode - yet Fifa with it's licenses, competition et al was considered the inferior counterpart because of the gameplay, even to casual gamers.

Funny how opinions change...

I remember once upon a time when Pro evo soccer was considered the don of roundball games, despite having no licences or manager mode - Ironically instead having what was nigh on identical to World League mode - yet Fifa with it's licenses, competition et al was considered the inferior counterpart because of the gameplay, even to casual gamers.

Funny how opinions change...

I think it seems like it's 50/50 those who are worried about manager mode and licenses and those who aren't. For what seems to be the sensible half, we're more worried (or just trying to encourage HB that there could be an editor mode just like Pro Evo Soccer has had to take up the slack of no licenses or manager mode.

I personally think a huge showing of "ask nicely" for that is really the most we should be hoping for on that front, with the real major focus on a good solid game. After all, licenses, game modes, editing or whatever, the most important thing of all is a good solid and enjoyable game to play. It certainly seems that HB are giving their all in that, the most important department.

Let's focus on the positives!

Glen Gavin: We have been working hard to nail down the core rugby gameplay experience. This is something we are getting closer and closer to achieving.
AJ: There’s also been a lot of focus on the licensing and publishing side of things as well. Our direction has been driven somewhat by those elements.

HB Studios obviously want to keep some things quiet for now.

They are obviously looking at getting licenses and gameplay experience right. I am sure there will be even better news to follow in Q & A vol:4.!!!:)

I think people forget that it's always better to "under sell and over deliver". They don't want to start making promises they will then have to break. Instead they are giving you their primary goals: Game play and Licenses.

I just hope that they introduce a quick ball button, like if you have a huge break and you maintain ball possession, you can double tap a button and it will be a quick ball out to any of the backs or even forwards. That was always a let down on 08, because the defense would be almost set by the time the ball was out.<O:p</O:p

Latest posts