• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Heineken Champions Cup - Quarter-Finals

It will be so so sweet to see Munster choke against Leinster again in a semi final.
Maybe but what is very embarrassing now is Munster on course to sell more "home" tickets for a game vs French opposition than Leinster could for a knockout game in Europe vs Irish opposition.
For all the D4 talk that shows something very wrong.

Back on comment - Would Munster choke if they would be classed as huge underdogs vs Leinster in a game in Dublin?
In 2009 you could class it as choking although again if you were fan back then (genuinely as Leinster fans only grew really from 2011 so not sure on status) Munster didn't necessarily choke as they were competitive but outclassed by a better team where everything clicked perfect on the day.

Regards our recent Semi Finals - We haven't actually choked.
19-20 - Weren't in knockouts.
18-19 - Beaten by a Saracens who totally overpowered Leinster also in the final. We were massive underdogs and in game for long period. Hardly choked. Missing 2 key players also that day. (not an excuse just beaten by a better team.)
17-18 - Again massive underdogs missing players in crazy heat. Lost to Racing by 5 points when Alex Wooton probably had his worst game of career and again could have won it but not a choke.
16-17 - Again lost to a Saracens team who were at their peak and we were massive underdogs. Leinster lost to a Clermont team (and Leinster could have won) but then Saracens destroyed Clermont too.
15-16 - Bad year for Irish Rugby overall Munster, Leinster and Ulster all failed in Europe.
14-15 - Didn't qualify loosing out marginally to Saracens and Clermont so can be deemed unlucky in pools.
13-14 - Lost in a Semi final (as huge underdogs) to Toulon away in their pack and we competed superbly but the more powerful team won.
12-13 - Lost to Clermont and could have won it. Lost Paulie and ROG was on his last legs (was his final game) but still performed and well we were hugely applauded for punching above our weight.

So not too sure on the choking bit. Lost semifinal yes but I suppose alot can be linked to bad luck with draw and partly too to not being good enough.

There is actually a quarter first

some impressive English Arrogance on display here
There is some travel agency in Dublin (will remain nameless) already selling packages to Marseille for the final for Leinster fans.

There is actually a quarter first

some impressive English Arrogance on display here

Yep its gonna be a great game, taking nothing for granted there.

Just would love to see Munster lose to Leinster, it never gets old.

Saturday: Five bags of popcorn with some pióg an aoire
Sunday: Two bags of popcorn with shark fin soup

Yep its gonna be a great game, taking nothing for granted there.

Just would love to see Munster lose to Leinster, it never gets old.
Again by that mentality so you are agreeing if (and it is a huge IF) Munster get to a SF and Leinster don't then it is a major fail on Leinster this season. And if we both got their and Leinster lost it is actually a dark day on the likes of Sextons chase for a European Cup.
More like Munster have very little to loose where Leinster have piled pressure on themselves.

Again by that mentality so you are agreeing if (and it is a huge IF) Munster get to a SF and Leinster don't then it is a major fail on Leinster this season. And if we both got their and Leinster lost it is actually a dark day on the likes of Sextons chase for a European Cup.
More like Munster have very little to loose where Leinster have piled pressure on themselves.

Yes any season where Munster get further in europe than Leinster is a huge failure.

Increasingly tetchy posts aside, choking is for favorites. Which we are definitely not from this point in.

I would adore if Leinster lost in England, but I think they'll trade a few scores before pulling away a bit. I definitely wouldn't go crowning them just yet (not saying anyone here has), as Toulouse, Racing and La Rochelle are all pretty nasty matchups for Leinster. AKA massive and French.

Yes any season where Munster get further in europe than Leinster is a huge failure.
Exactly so as I said IF and it's a big IF we did get further what a very sad way for some of Leinster greats to bow out or miss out on probably their last serious chance in many peoples eyes. But also would you say majority of BODs career was failure so as his W/L ratio vs Munster is not great and his record of going further than Munster in Europe is not better either.
Or did you support Leinster back then :)

Increasingly tetchy posts aside, choking is for favorites. Which we are definitely not from this point in.

I would adore if Leinster lost in England, but I think they'll trade a few scores before pulling away a bit. I definitely wouldn't go crowning them just yet (not saying anyone here has), as Toulouse, Racing and La Rochelle are all pretty nasty matchups for Leinster. AKA massive and French.
To be fair Leinster are favourites for a reason. They should win in Leicester which while being a tough trip is the easiest of the tasks out there.
They are in Dublin in the Semi Final regardless and then on Neutral ground they are a force.
Argubally taking off my Munster hat. Leinster should beat Leicester. Then you'd fancy them in Dublin against us our Toulouse and well in a final they are the experienced team and I think would beat Racing in a close game in Neutral soil although I would not be surprised if they won it well and La Rochelle aren't great this year. Not at same level as last year so would expect Leinster to beat them comfortably.

Exactly so as I said IF and it's a big IF we did get further what a very sad way for some of Leinster greats to bow out or miss out on probably their last serious chance in many peoples eyes. But also would you say majority of BODs career was failure so as his W/L ratio vs Munster is not great and his record of going further than Munster in Europe is not better either.
Or did you support Leinster back then :)

BOD has more european medals than any Munster player, but then there are many leinster players with more medals than the Munster "legends" of the 2000s. So interesting definition of failure and success you have there.

It's not like a Munster fan to live in the past, suppose it's all you have these past 13 years.

BOD has more european medals than any Munster player, but then there are many leinster players with more medals than the Munster "legends" of the 2000s. So interesting definition of failure and success you have there.

It's not like a Munster fan to live in the past, suppose it's all you have these past 13 years.
You're 100% correct but alot of Munster legends never had a serious league like Pro14. Was more AIL on those days.
And I think if you on this site long enough you'd know I certainly don't live on past glories. Was just applying your logic re BOD. I don't deny he was superb player. But think I get you obviously don't follow your own logic so we will just leave it like that. School in morning.

TBF it must be nice for Irish fans to just experience what it is like beyond the quarters of a big competition.

Interesting headline here....

The Irish press showing Dan Kelly a Pro 14 trophy
heres-what-you-could-have-won.jpg

Granted wouldn't he have most likely gone to Connacht or maybe Munster anyway?

Also don't they know Kelly is injury so at best 50/50 to play tomorrow?

Says the guy whose best day of his life was the 2009 final.

We don't talk about that game.
Although honestly it was great to watch live in the stadium Nacewa, Horgan, BOD, D'arcy, Fitzgerald, Sexton, Heaslip, Elsom, MOK, Healy in their primes/coming up.

"They're in a great pace, this has been planned along the way. I'm not taking away from Leicester, they're a good team, top of the Gallagher Premiership, but let's not forget Connacht scared the pants off them in the European Cup. At [Mattioli Woods] Welford Road the final score was 29-23, and the score at the Sportsground was 28-29."

Why can't the Irish ever get their heads around the fact we played basically a mismatch team v connacht? we had 3rd choices playing in some positions.
Granted Leinster should work this but always annoys me hearing that Connacht scared the pants of when in reality we had no Montoya, Cole, Liebenberg, Ford, Kelly, Moroni, Nadolo, Potter, Steward at 15. Reality is Borthwick never targeted Europe till the Clermont game.

Yeah very slim chance Kelly would have signed for Leinster. Think there were rumors we were interested. Just a weird premise for an article anyway.

Also I find the tv show Bullseye deeply distressing for some reason, having watched an episode while gee eyed in a Premier Inn. I think it was the realization that most people on it were now dead.

Latest posts