• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland Squad Announced

F

feicarsinn

http://www.scrum.com/ireland/rugby/story/1...4.html?CMP=RSS2

Ireland Squad: Tommy Bowe (Ospreys), Neil Best (Northampton Saints), Tony Buckley (Munster), Darren Cave (Ulster), Tom Court (Ulster), Sean Cronin (Connacht)*, Leo Cullen (Leinster), Gordon D'Arcy (Leinster), Gavin Duffy (Connacht), Keith Earls (Munster), Stephen Ferris (Ulster), Luke Fitzgerald (Leinster), Jerry Flannery (Munster), John Fogarty (Leinster)*, John Hayes (Munster), Cian Healy (Leinster)*, Jamie Heaslip (Leinster), Chris Henry (Ulster)*, Marcus Horan (Munster), Shane Horgan (Leinster), Robert Kearney (Leinster), Denis Leamy (Munster), Fergus McFadden (Leinster)*, Donncha O'Callaghan (Munster), Paul O'Connell (Munster), Brian O'Driscoll (Leinster), Ronan O'Gara (Munster), Tomas O'Leary (Munster), Sean O'Brien (Leinster)*, Eoin Reddan (Leinster), Mike Ross (Leinster), Donnacha Ryan (Munster), Jonathan Sexton (Leinster)*, Peter Stringer (Munster), Devin Toner (Leinster)*, Andrew Trimble (Ulster), David Wallace (Munster), Paddy Wallace (Ulster), Brett Wilkinson (Connacht)*.

Not too many surprises really. The main omissions would be Ian Humphreys, Fionn Carr and Kevin McLaughlin but they probably wouldn't have been in the 22 anyways so meh. Strongest team would probably be:

15 Kearney
14 Fitzgerald
13 O'Driscoll
12 Wallace
11 Bowe
10 Sexton
9 O'Leary
8 Heislip
7 Wallace (would have liked to see Jennings get a go by thats the ERC for ya)
6 Ferris
5 O'Connell
4 Cullen
3 Healy
2 Flannery
1 Hayes

Subs:
16 Ross
17 Cronin
18 O'Callaghan
19 Best
20 Reddan
21 O'Gara
22 Earls

Very frustrating to see a squad that large not contain the 3 players you mentioned, Humphreys is the one I can understand the most as Wallace can cover out half as well, but still think he should have been on the bench for the Fiji match. No doubt all 3 will start for the As or whatever ridiculously gimicky name they come up for them, against Tonga and the Jaguars.

Duffy always baffles me, he won't ever get near the starting XV so what's the point in picking him over someone like Carr who does have a far better chance of starting for Ireland than Duffy.

Think Cullen is there purely to be on the bench, can't see him starting despite DOC's poor form, similar story with O'Gara and Sexton, I see ROG starting against the Aussies but not against South Africa, despite it being the glaringly obvious thing to do.

Ireland: 3 internationals, name a 39-man squad.

Wales: 4 internationals, name a 29-man squad. MADNESS!

I think Ireland's got the right idea. Even if people don't play, they'll have so experience of training at intenrational level. Gatland refuses to do that. Idiot.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Oct 27 2009, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ireland: 3 internationals, name a 39-man squad.

Wales: 4 internationals, name a 29-man squad. MADNESS!

I think Ireland's got the right idea. Even if people don't play, they'll have so experience of training at intenrational level. Gatland refuses to do that. Idiot.[/b]

That 39 will also provide most of the players (except for maybe an extra call up here or there) for the 'A' internationals against Argentina Jaguars and the Tongan first team.

Em, time for some Lists.

Happy List
Darren Cave
Sean Cronin
Chris Henry
Fergus McFadden
Devin Toner
Andrew 'Can't belief he's found form' Trimble
Cian Healy
Sean O'Brien

WTF List
Gavin Duffy (and that's pretty much it).

Unhappy List
Niall Ronan
McLoughlin
Willie Falloon
Fionn Carr
Ian Humphreys
Johne Murphy

First Team and 'A' Team pending.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ("hugonaut")</div>
Just to make it a little easier on the eyes than an alphabetical list:

Backs

Scrum Half:
O'Leary [M], Stringer [M], Reddan [L]

Out Half:
O'Gara [M], Sexton [L]

Centres:
O'Driscoll [L], D'Arcy [L], P.Wallace , Cave , McFadden [L]

Wings:
Bowe [Osp.], Fitzgerald [L], Horgan [L], Trimble

Full-backs:
Kearney [L], Earls [M], Duffy [C]

15 Leinster [7 forwards, 8 backs]
13 Munster [9 forwards, 4 backs]
6 Ulster [3 forwards, 3 backs]
3 Connacht [2 forwards, 1 back]
1 Osprey
1 Northampton[/b]

I saw the above on LF.com which makes easier reading than a list of players.

Some players can count themselves very lucky. Gavin Duffy is only included due to Geordan Murphy's injury. Fergus McFadden is in and out of the Leinster squad and is lucky to be included as a centre when Tommy Bowe can play there. Peter Stringer is a bench option for a Munster team playing average rugby whereas Isaac Boss is dominating in a resurgent Ulster side. Sean O'Brien has played well but not as well as Willie Faloon. Denis Leamy hasn't been as good as Alan Quinlan but gets in due to the age of the latter player in my opinion. I don't understand how fringe players like Donnacha Ryan and Devin Toner are ahead of Bob Casey and Ryan Caldwell in the pecking order. Brett Wilkinson isn't required when there are three other looseheads in the squad.

I'm quite surprised room hasn't been found for Ian Humphreys but the challenge for him now is continuing in his rich wein of form so that he can't be left out of the 6 Nations squad.

Overall, I can't complain about the squad when there are 9 uncapped players there. The two new hookers, Henry, Sexton and Healy look best placed to win caps. Wilkinson, Toner, McFadden and O'Brien will likely have to bide their time.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Oct 27 2009, 05:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Very frustrating to see a squad that large not contain the 3 players you mentioned, Humphreys is the one I can understand the most as Wallace can cover out half as well, but still think he should have been on the bench for the Fiji match. No doubt all 3 will start for the As or whatever ridiculously gimicky name they come up for them, against Tonga and the Jaguars.

Duffy always baffles me, he won't ever get near the starting XV so what's the point in picking him over someone like Carr who does have a far better chance of starting for Ireland than Duffy.

Think Cullen is there purely to be on the bench, can't see him starting despite DOC's poor form, similar story with O'Gara and Sexton, I see ROG starting against the Aussies but not against South Africa, despite it being the glaringly obvious thing to do.[/b]
Agree with you Tarbh about most comments but been fair to DOC he isn't playing that bad and is on better form than Paulie.
But glad to see McFadden in squad as he really is good player.

My starting 15 would be:
15. Kearney
14. Earls
13. BOD
12. Fitzgearld
11. Bowe
10. Sexton <_< (Don't like him personally, but he a star in making)
9. O'Leary
8. Heaslip
7. Wallace
6. Ferris
5. Paulie
4. DOC
3. Hayes
2. Flannery
1. Healy
16. Cronin
17. Horan
18. Cullen (Age counts against Cullen to start as Kidney is shrewd like that and I won't be surprised if he pick D. Ryan here even)
19. Leamy/N.Best
20. Should be Reddan but Stringer will be selected
21. Will be ROG but I'd pick P.Wallace as he can play centre also or D'Arcy
22. D'Arcy/McFadden

Reason I selected Fitz at 12 was been honest in next few years Fitzgearld & Earls are destined to be Irish centre pairing and Luke has good defence for 12.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Oct 27 2009, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
15 Kearney
14 Fitzgerald
13 O'Driscoll
12 Wallace
11 Bowe
10 Sexton
9 O'Leary
8 Heislip
7 Wallace (would have liked to see Jennings get a go by thats the ERC for ya)
6 Ferris
5 O'Connell
4 Cullen
3 Healy
2 Flannery
1 Hayes

Subs:
16 Court
17 Cronin
18 O'Callaghan
19 Best
20 Reddan
21 O'Gara
22 Earls[/b]

Court for versatility, like in the 6 Nations.

Ireland A:

1. Horan
2. Fogarty
3. Ross
4. Ryan
5. Toner
6. Leamy
7. O'Brien
8. Henry
9. Stringer
10. Humphries
11. Trimble
12. D'arcy
13. Cave
14. Horgan
15. Duffy

16. Kryiacou
17. Buckley
18. Caldwell
19. Faloon
20. F.Murphy
21. Keatley
22. McFadden

bear in mind Ireland A are playing against proper teams, not other A teams, and that the matches are on the same weekends as the tests. So hopefully it will be a proper second XV not a development XV, and will be used to give the fringe players gametime should a matchday 22 player get injured.

Wouldn't it be lovely to see ROG play for Ireland A?

BTW, have you heard Ireland A are to be renamed soon?

Well we can't be the Wolfhounds because league got that so I think we should steal from good old Age of Empires. Go Irish Woad Raiders!

I dont get it either but I presume they cant as .......... eh ............ the USA have that name already.

We could be called the Irish eagles though. Hows that?

For anyone interested the squad split is:
Leinster: 15
Munster: 13
Ulster: 6
Connacht: 3
Ospreys: 1
Northampton: 1

Very well by all accounts. I suppose Kidney thought he already has a physical 9 in Tomas O'Leary. Anyways I never really thought Isaac Boss was really up to international rugby.

Lads would ye agree Denis Fogarty is unlucky too not to get in ahead of his brother ....

Also, I admit haven't seen Saints alot, is Downey unlucky to be omitted like I believe he'd be a more physical choice at 12 (an unsure position) than Duffy (I know he not a 12) who offers very little to the squad.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Oct 29 2009, 07:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Very well by all accounts. I suppose Kidney thought he already has a physical 9 in Tomas O'Leary. Anyways I never really thought Isaac Boss was really up to international rugby.[/b]
The AB posters on here wet themselves laughing when he scored under the posts against the Saffers!

Latest posts