TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
wru-press.gif

WalesRugbyTraining.JPG

JONES AND HIBBARD BOOST WELSH SQUAD NUMBERS
Wales have called Ospreys forwards Alun Wyn Jones and Richard Hibbard into their RBS 6 Nations 2012 training squad preparing to take on England at Twickenham on Saturday.

The 59-times capped lock Jones made his second appearance for his region since returning from a toe injury on Friday night and he joins the squad as a direct replacement for Blues second row Bradley Davies, who is currently serving a suspension.

Hibbard, who has featured for his country on 15 occasions, has been called up as cover due to the well documented injury concerns over fellow Ospreys hooker Huw Bennett and Scarlet Matthew Rees (both are recovering from calf strains) and will boost training numbers at the WRU National Centre of Excellence, alongside Jones, to 38 from tomorrow (Monday).

Alun Wyn Jones
DOB: 19th Sep 1985
Birthplace: Swansea, Wales
Height: 1.96 m (6' 5")
Weight:118 kg (18 st 8 lb)
Position: Lock
Test Honours: Wales (59 caps)

Richard Hibbard
DOB: 13th Dec 1983
Birthplace: Neath, Wales
Height: 1.83 m (6' 0")
Weight: 110 kg (17 st 4 lb)
Position: Hooker
Test Honours: Wales (15 caps)

WRU Media

It was expected to see Jones coming in and Hibberd is needed as cover in case of injuries good moves all round.

Alun will be needed but is lacking serious game time I cant see Hibbard starting but will be useful cover.

Regarding the picture. It's crazy that 16,000 people turned up to the millenium stadium to watch the Welsh squad train, yet none of the regions can attract anywhere close to that for a Pro12 match!

As for the news itself, quite straight forward. I wouldn't be atall surprised if Alun-Wyn started next weekend, although the bench is the obvious place with Ryan Jones filling in quite well. He may be lacking gametime, but he's a class player and is a natural athlete, so should be able to come back into things and do well.

Hibbard was the obvious choice considring Burns is out, Bennett is probably out, and Rees is a doubt. Ken Owens will be involved in the 22. Rees should hopefully be fit to start/be on the bench, so Hibbard probably won't be needed, but he won't let anyone down if he is. Always been a fan of Hibbard, but he seems to be struggling more than ever with his weight.

why recall fatty bom boms Hibbard at hooker? seriously I've seen Marc Jones of Sale play and he is much better, he is under the radar at Sale but has quietly become a regular first team player there and is good in the loose and at rucks and decent at lineout, better than Burns as well

Hibbard is certainly overweight at the moment, but not too much worse than Adam Jones after a lengthly lay off. I feel Hibbard still get's around the field and get's through alot of work regardless. There's always been question marks over his lineout throwing, but he wouldn't be a Welsh hooker if there wasn't!

Haven't seen much of Marc Jones mind...

Always better to have a poor option than no option!
Hibbard was actually doing pretty well last year, and would have been our first choice hooker for the World Cup had it not been for his injury.
I thought that Rees had a good chance of making it for the England match.

Bennett's out, but Matthew Rees is 50/50. Team's named tomorrow, knowing Gatland he'll probably name Rees regardless and then withdraw him on Saturday morning when it turns out that he hasn't walked in a month.

Classic Gats
Bennett's out, but Matthew Rees is 50/50. Team's named tomorrow, knowing Gatland he'll probably name Rees regardless and then withdraw him on Saturday morning when it turns out that he hasn't walked in a month.

May be rubbish but the DM are saying Rees failed a fitness test so Owens will start.

This worries me a bit, and maybe its where England can gain so advantage. saying that its not like we have been throwing that well at the line out, so maybe this could be a blessing. So is it safe to say the team will be: (Ok ok nothing is straight forward with Gats!)

1 Geth
2 Owens
3 A Jones
4 Evans
5 Wynn Jones
6 Lydiate
7 Warburton
8 Faletau
9 Phillips
10 Priestland
11 North or 1/2p
12 Roberts
13 Davies
14 Cuthbert
15 1/2p or Bryne

16 Hibbert
17 James
18 Jones
19 Tuperic
20 L Williams
21 S Williams
22 Hook

with Ryan Jones and Hook on the bench they cover a few options, and I think I would be more comfortable with Bryne starting at full back.

Well 100% correct for me, with North being passed fit. I still think he is 50/50 and could be withdrawn for Bryne. but I like it a lot, still with people like Powell, Henson, Rees, Shingler, Charteris outside the 22. I am really trying not to get carried away!

Latest posts