• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Test: New Zealand vs. Wales [1st Test] (11/06/2016)

Yeah to be fair both Faletau and Warbs are up there in the "World Class" bracket along with Read and Cane (who I have not seen play in ages, so I'm assuming he's playing well atm) so out of all the head to heads those are on the lower end of ridiculous. Personally, I'd have them on a level, especially looking at what they add to their team respectively.

Read's out of form atm, whereas if Faletau can hold his form from the Six Nations he's playing some of the best rugby of his career.

Even footing on those grounds imo.

Read's looked pretty good in the games I've seen him play for the Crusaders this year.
Maybe you're basing your opinion on last year when he was a 6 or 7/10 at the RWC rather than the 9 or 10/10 he was in 2013 when he was World player of the year.

Faletau is a great player, but he was pretty ordinary versus England at the end of May.

Last edited:
Read's looked pretty good in the games I've seen him play for the Crusaders this year.
Maybe you're basing your opinion on last year when he was a 6 or 7/10 at the RWC rather than the 9 or 10/10 he was in 2013 when he was World player of the year.

Faletau is a great player, but he was pretty ordinary voters England at the end of May.

That's probably a fair evaluation.

They're hard players to compare though, Faletau more of an extra blindside (which works well for Wales) than a classic no. 8, while Read definitely fits the archetypal wide-carrying, link man, traditional idea of a number eight.

Wales in with a shot, no doubt. Mr Read thinks it's a good idea to ditch Richies black boots only policy and is probably going to be wearing those atrocious pink boots of his, if that's not a bad omen, then I don't know what is.

Our midfield has major question marks. It's a shame SBW isn't around this season to blunt the loss of Nonu and Smith, just glad he's signed back on and will likely make the next RWC.

Should still be an AB's win, but it won't be easy and Read is certainly no McCaw in terms of leadership and intelligence, most teams should be looking to beat the AB's this year, it will be their best chance, because Hansen will address any issues and lack of quality in areas by this time next year, not too mention new recruits will be hardened and seasoned.

I think a lot of people are confusing Read's change of playing style for his form. The All Blacks coaching staff purposely made Read a tighter styled forward to dominate the rucks and set up screen plays for attacking raids. With so much firepower in the ABs what was required is pack dominance not individual extravagance.

I think a lot of people are confusing Read's change of playing style for his form. The All Blacks coaching staff purposely made Read a tighter styled forward to dominate the rucks and set up screen plays for attacking raids. With so much firepower in the ABs what was required is pack dominance not individual extravagance.

I agree he does less of the link man type stuff out wide these days ever since that started going pear shaped against England a few years ago it was pretty easy for opposing teams to read what he was likely to do.

I'll pretty much only be watching our midfield in this game and maybe Cane who I dont think is that great.

I have to also add if Fekitoa doesnt show up in this match he should be dropped for Seta. Seta looks to have enormous potential at 13 to me.

Last edited:
I agree he does less of the link man type stuff out wide these days ever since that started going pear shaped against England a few years ago it was pretty easy for opposing teams to read what he was likely to do.

I'll pretty much only be watching our midfield in this game and maybe Cane who I dont think is that great.

I have to also add if Fekitoa doesnt show up in this match he should be dropped for Seta. Seta looks to have enormous potential at 13 to me.

Don't think that's the best option, Fek 12 with Seta 13 seems better than dropping Fek

I cant see Fekitoa getting dropped either, he is so talented that the All Blacks will see him through. Just like they did with Nonu they are spending a lot of time and energy on Fekitoa. I think he will be a long term All Black. He has a fairly complete skill set.

Just so you guys know I am in Auckland and it is wet and pouring rain. I would expect this would be much to Wales benefit and will keep the score closer.

- - - Updated - - -

p.s - anybody expecting Crotty to be an All Black weakness are in for a shock, Crotty is basically a like for like swap with Conrad Smith. Very similar players just he will play 12 instead of 13.

I've always been a fan of Crotty.
Loved watching him, and also Freuan, back in the day (must have been....2010? 2011? When SBW first went back to NZ for Union, I think).

is it still raining? I've heard it was forecast to be dry. If it's raining i'm going to bet £3000 on Wales +9.5 points in the first half at 10/11

Except that I'm 19 and I've made £62,000 profit betting on sport in the last 16 months since turning 18 but cheers for the input anyway.

If it's tipping it down, with Cruden being an average goal-kicker and Biggar being deadly. With NZ having their first run-out of the season. It's unlikely they'll be 10 points up at the half.

I could lose £3,000, but a lot of the time I'm winning £2750

Except that I'm 19 and I've made £62,000 profit betting on sport in the last 16 months since turning 18 but cheers for the input anyway.

If it's tipping it down, with Cruden being an average goal-kicker and Biggar being deadly. With NZ having their first run-out of the season. It's unlikely they'll be 10 points up at the half.

I could lose £3,000, but a lot of the time I'm winning £2750

Thanks for the info I couldn't care less about.

you initiated it so I got defensive. Anyway, is it raining in Auckland, I tried to get a live stream and what I saw it looks pretty dry?

Sun is out and remarkably its dried outside up a lot. Could be a decent night for running rugby if Eden Park is well drained.

Wayne Barnes is going to officiate this in favour of New Zealand I reckon. That 2007 QF will still be lingering on his mind. I don't think he's officiated the All Blacks many times since.

Don't think that's the best option, Fek 12 with Seta 13 seems better than dropping Fek

It makes as much as no difference if you have Crotty at 12 as he's got the correct skill set for that position and Seta at 13.

Seta is a far more direct runner than Fekitoa. Im a HL supporter and im straight up that Fekitoa runs it sideways far to much and generally goes missing in matches for long periods.

Its going to get very interesting next year when SBW is back as really he is not a complete 12 either his kicking game doesnt even exist for instance. And Charlie is proving to be to injury prone like Kahui to stick around for long.

- - - Updated - - -

Wayne Barnes is going to officiate this in favour of New Zealand I reckon. That 2007 QF will still be lingering on his mind. I don't think he's officiated the All Blacks many times since.

Unless Wales loosies somehow get one over on us Wayne wont have much say in this game. Barnes is the worst referee in the world to have against teams stacked with good ball pilferers like Pocock. He allows a free for all in any match where a 7 decides he's making the rules. And Wayne had a very big say in the result of the Wallabies/AB game in Sydney last year! We were atleast two or three tries better than Australia last year but that game he let Pocock and hooper do whatever they wanted.

Jesus. 50 seconds in and Barnes makes a god awful call :lol: Can't get much clearer than that for holding on! Barnes really doesn't like to call holding on ever does he?

Latest posts