• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June International Test: New Zealand vs. Wales [1st Test] (11/06/2016)

Owens for Baldwin, initially surprised but then Baldwin hasn't played great for Wales recently especially not hitting his jumpers in the line out and missing tackles.

No Charteris is a blow - assuming his late arrival didn't help. Bradley Davies isn't that great a line out exponent, so I wonder if Wales will look to hit Warburton and Faletau as alternatives to going to AWJ. How is Moriaty as a jumper?

Jenkins picked ahead of Rob Evans I suspect for his experience and breakdown presence in terms of getting over the ball to help out The backrow.

Baldwin is awful at his worst, OK / solid at his best. Very very happy Owens has been picked ahead of him, impact he adds is a level above Baldwin imo.

Finally Anscombe is in as a back up 10, and great to see Jenkins on the bench too. Real quality player.

I'm not that clued up on Super Rugby, what are your guys thoughts on Seta Tamanivalu?

big, hits gaps, scores trys, defends well. Different sort of player to Fekitoa, straighter runner. In better form this season compared to Fekitoa, Seta has had a huge season. Has benefited from playing outside Ngatai who has been in superb form. Ngatai has been NZ's form mid-fielder and arguably the most important player in the chiefs backline.

Personally I see Moala as a better long term option. But with Smith & Nonu gone, SBW in 7s and Ngatai injured other players are going to get chances. Seta needs big performances because I think the more gametime Moala gets the more he will establish himself.

Quite happy with that selection from Gats.

Very happy with Owens starting. I'm all for impact subs, but of the game's over before the change has been made, what's the point. Baldwin has been steadily getting worse, with his missed tackle count far too high for my liking.

My one disappointment is that Charteris isn't in the match day squad, let alone starting. On his day, he's a world class operator imo. His work rate in defense is phenomenal, both tackling and maul defense, and he's always a useful target in the lineout given his height. Surprisingly mobile too. Arriving late must have really hurt his chances.

Happy with the back row, and delighted to see Ellis Jenkins on the bench. Moriarty needs a big game, because if he can impose himself on the game, he could surprise NZ with his explosiveness.

Finally, really happy with the bench (other than Ball over Charteris). Rob Evans' fitness isn't quite there, he's everywhere in the first 30min, then often seems to fade, so bringing him off the bench for the final 30 may make more sense. Anscombe over Priestland, hooray!

I'm feeling a little more positive now!

big, hits gaps, scores trys, defends well. Different sort of player to Fekitoa, straighter runner. In better form this season compared to Fekitoa, Seta has had a huge season. Has benefited from playing outside Ngatai who has been in superb form. Ngatai has been NZ's form mid-fielder and arguably the most important player in the chiefs backline.

Personally I see Moala as a better long term option. But with Smith & Nonu gone, SBW in 7s and Ngatai injured other players are going to get chances. Seta needs big performances because I think the more gametime Moala gets the more he will establish himself.

I disagree, Seta has no need to worry about Moala. Seta's been unbelievable all season, Moala's been... Meh. I was suprised when he was called into the squad, I thought Faddes had been playing much better. Plus, with Faddes if you put Sopoaga at 10 and Feks at 12, you have a full Landers back line (Exceit for Savea). Would mean it was a very well bonded back line.

Charteris is going too be a miss in the line out, I do agree with Owens over Baldwin though.

So who's the ABs pick to lead the Haka in the first test? Read?

I disagree, Seta has no need to worry about Moala. Seta's been unbelievable all season, Moala's been... Meh. I was suprised when he was called into the squad, I thought Faddes had been playing much better. Plus, with Faddes if you put Sopoaga at 10 and Feks at 12, you have a full Landers back line (Exceit for Savea). Would mean it was a very well bonded back line.

the blues backline has been misfiring, the blues have the worst 9-10 combination of the NZ super sides and generally they have not been as settled as the other teams, ranger has been in and out and in patchy form. where Seta at the chiefs is playing outside arguably the best 9, 10, 12 (Weber, Cruden, Ngatai) combination in the whole competition. Seta hasn't been unbelievable all season, When Ngatai has been injured he's been quiet, the whole chiefs backline has struggled when Ngatai's injured.

Moala hasn't all of a sudden become a bad player, he was just named player of the year for the NZ national comp (ITM cup/NPC). Hes better than he is showing for the blues recently and I think given the chance for the AB's he will shine.

I think that Pilou Pilou guy should be taken out behind the barn and shot.

I wonder with Moody being 6 years younger than Crockett they now see him as the starting loosehead, Crockett won't make another world cup whereas Moody will.

I wonder with Moody being 6 years younger than Crockett they now see him as the starting loosehead, Crockett won't make another world cup whereas Moody will.

They've explicitly said that Moody is the number one at the moment, he earned that during the World Cup.

Warburton is back from injury to lead his country and fire up his Dragons.
I can see Wales steaming into this one and catching the AB's unawares.
All the talk about this young talented midfield will mean little when they come up against the experience, determination and size of Mr Jamie Roberts.

All the talk about this young talented midfield will mean little when they come up against the experience, determination and size of Mr Jamie Roberts.

Mr one dimension?

Good to see Warburton back, he is a world class player.

Roberts reminds of that munter from England, the one with no brains that toured here when England last came. Big guy that causes havoc due to size and speed but doesn't offer much outside of that.

Good to see Warburton back, he is a world class player.

Roberts reminds of that munter from England, the one with no brains that toured here when England last came. Big guy that causes havoc due to size and speed but doesn't offer much outside of that.

He is probably the best centre in the world in getting over the gain line & a defensive maestro. Yes he's not a flashy guy, he just does what a centre is meant to do and he's easily one of the best centres in history.

You mean Kyle Eastmond or Luther Burrell?

Latest posts