• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

June Internationals: Chiefs vs. Wales (14/06/2016)

For me there's a big correlation with participation and the rise of Cardiff city and Swansea city football a few years ago now. Welsh sport is competitive and rugby is probably not the national sport of you look at player numbers.

Indeed, while obviously a secondary factor compared to players and coaches, I do think the rugby culture in Wales needs to improve. If we saw higher attendance week-to-week in the Pro12 I daresay our quality would start to improve. It's a symbiotic nature where the players and coaches drive the fans who push them further in return, but something in the chain isn't quite working. I think Gatland has definitely improved the situation with the introduction of the dual contracts system but we really need a boost in our domestic game.

Either way will this game give New Zealand a bit more of an advantage as surely Wales confidence is knocked and players will feel effect of playing

Either way will this game give New Zealand a bit more of an advantage as surely Wales confidence is knocked and players will feel effect of playing

Getting thrashed by England seemed to motivate us a bit for NZ so let's hope this has the same effect! Haha

Had it been a close game and Chiefs sneaked it at least Wales could argue that it was down to this team not playing regularly together compared to the Chiefs players training week in week out. From what I saw Ruck speed for Wales is a major problem for this team and the 1st team. One passage of play in the 2nd half summed it up when Wales again were battering at the Chiefs line, but Chiefs just kept slowing it down and Wales came away with nothing. Reminded me of Wales battering Australia's line in the RWC.

Brad Weber can't make the AB's squad, but I swear most teams in the world he would be a starter and considered one of the best 9's in the world.

Great to see James Lowe have a strong game, and put some pressure on for the AB's left wing spot.

Quite probably I am suggesting Wales has less depth than the Chiefs..... think this morning showed it!

As for 40/46 man squads, the WRU does not seem able to finance an A team fully and certainly do not think that they could afford that number of players plus back up (and free loaders)!!

Add to that that some of these guys are already hitting too many games per season already - most have not had proper rest for nearly two years with RWC!

Think maybe you and certainly I want to go back to the old days but it ain't going to happen!!!!

I'd love it to go back in some shape or form to the old days too Tony (but agree it won't happen) ... I loved watching the touring sides play the individual NZ provinces, under that big yellow thing in the sky ... what's it called, oh yeah, the sun! :) ... I equally enjoyed getting up in the wee small hours, and watching the All Black dirt trackers (the mid week team) play Llanelli or Neath, and see if they could force their way into the test team

... but alas, it can't happen due to the international windows being so tight, and monetary considerations (funny how they could afford it when the game was amatuer)

Anyway, congrats to the Chiefs, and thanks Wales for agreeing to the fixture.

Brad Weber can't make the AB's squad, but I swear most teams in the world he would be a starter and considered one of the best 9's in the world.

If Aaron Smith went down with an injury, I'm pretty sure Weber would not only be named as his replacement, but would also start in the test matches, his game is so similar to Smith's that I can't see him displacing Kerr-Barlow (when he's fit) or Perenara on the bench.

This was the best thing ever..

Great piece of theatre, but does anyone else think including non-players with spears was a bit out of order?

Love a good rugby war dance, but strongly feel it should be for the players by the players.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great piece of theatre, but does anyone else think including non-players with spears was a bit out of order?

Love a good rugby war dance, but strongly feel it should be for the players by the players.

I think the guys with the spears take away from the intimidation factor (but agree they should be removed). Here you have these big, strong rugby players in the middle and then a mixture of skinny and chubby guys on the outskirts. I'm not a fan, and agree, it is unnecessary. Just leave it to the players.

Bloody hell mate. It's just a bit of a cultural experience for the Welsh boys.

Suppose you lads don't really have much culture to relate to other than beers and pies, that's about the extent of the English culture and I guess.... the Queen?

Suppose you lads don't really have much culture to relate to other than beers and pies, that's about the extent of the English culture and I guess.... the Queen?

Just my opinion, doubtless others feel differently. I really love the existence of the various war dances in rugby, and in no way am one of those who would have them banned. However I do think they should be subject to certain stipulations to keep them respectful, and IMO inviting outsiders onto the pitch solely to intimidate is too far.

Maybe a Lord of the Rings montage with music by Crowded House would've been more appropriate? Maybe Russell Crowe could narrate it?

Just my opinion, doubtless others feel differently. I really love the existence of the various war dances in rugby, and in no way am one of those who would have them banned. However I do think they should be subject to certain stipulations to keep them respectful, and IMO inviting outsiders onto the pitch solely to intimidate is too far.

Maybe a Lord of the Rings montage with music by Crowded House would've been more appropriate? Maybe Russell Crowe could narrate it?

You sound pretty condescending, close minded and intolerant in all honesty.

Just to make it clear. This is actually a gesture of respect, rather than just "pure intimidation". The Welsh have come to the heart land of the North Island where there is a strong Maori presence. Using men from the local tribes and Iwi's is a special occasion for the local populace.

And I'm sure the Welsh lads really appreciate this experience. Perhaps look past it just being a 'war dance' and more of an experience and gesture. It's a huge part of NZ culture whether you like it or not. Quite often high school sides will use their schools Kapa Haka groups in their Haka's pre-game and during games.

You're in New Zealand, so enjoy the experience.

Last edited:

So Everytime Ref gives his opinion on a war dance being supported by non-players, and this calls for you have a dig at "English Culture" and your ignorance that it consists solely of Beer, pies and the Queen. This actually reflects badly on you.

So Everytime Ref gives his opinion on a war dance being supported by non-players, and this calls for you have a dig at "English Culture" and your ignorance that it consists solely of Beer, pies and the Queen. This actually reflects badly on you.

Sorry, would it be better if I said kebabs in place of pies?

. From what I saw Ruck speed for Wales is a major problem for this team and the 1st team. One passage of play in the 2nd half summed it up when Wales again were battering at the Chiefs line, but Chiefs just kept slowing it down and Wales came away with nothing. Reminded me of Wales battering Australia's line in the RWC.

King, Turnbull and Faletau is a 6,6,8 combination, so you haven't really got an openside there. Gatland was criticised for not taking more 7s, considering there's a few in Wales playing well. When Sam was on in the 1st, he had to have had one eye on Saturday. He should have never been in that position.

I've been calling it converting in the red zone for the main team. The times they've not been able to convert from 5 metres out against the SH teams is bizarre. Perhaps it's line speed and ruck speed. Or perhaps they just aren't used to looking for the gaps and often just stick to the system.

Your appear to be a very sensitive soul.

IMO, having additional folks on the field for the haka is not appropriate. Yes, fine for the (in this instance NZ) players to respect the opposition with a haka pre-game.

Not fine to have hangers on attempt to do the same - what "respect" are they showing, to whom and why?

If you want to have a exhibition of Maori culture, fine, but not on a pitch at gametime.

The IRB's rules with respect to the Haka in general are pathetic. Opposition teams aren't allowed to do anything bar stand in a little zone, be bystanders and lose some of their adrenaline buzz from the anthems. The French got a good rap on the knuckles for the RWC2011 final.

Not sure you've noticed the irony, but there's a Union Jack in your flag.

Think you've miss interpreted Every Time Ref's message and lost the plot after that. Pretty sure he meant no offense.

Personally, I would love to see the All Blacks play lead up games when they go on the EOYT; an AP side in the week before the England test, and relevant Pro 12 sides before Wales, Scotland or Ireland, or a Top 14 side before France.

As long as you play the Baby Blacks not the full team.....!!!

Latest posts