[TD="align: center"]Mathieu Bastareaud[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]15[/TD]
[TD="align: center"]Toulon[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Last edited:
*sigh*
hopefully uhmm...we put SOMETHING on the scoreboard this time ?! :D

Last chance for us; I have this (probably very common for French fans) feeling we let our chance go during that first test...the terrible pass to Picamoles's feet, 5m from the try line.
Speaking of which: so he's not playing this one, going back to France with Freddy...

I really hope for the future that PSA will understand at some point that Michalak is first of all no huge prospect for the 2015 RWC, and we need to try out some exciting new flyhalves who've produced so far.
Second, wtvr it is, fatigue, huge lack of confidence, losing his mojo COMPLETELY - probably all that - Michalak needs a long rest. It took a big shoulder injury to him for us to finally drop him...

Is Saint-André really ruining the French XV ??...I mean, the one very obvious element has been Michalak, and PSA's stubborn concept that he'll rebound at some point (as I thought myself for a long time this year). Michalak was magnificent these past June/November 2012, and then played like shyt from the 6N til now. But he can't be blamed wholly for this of course...
And on attack, we've shown some beautiful plays, full of flair, on a few occasions. I remember that last 6N match against Scotland where we scored seemingly effortlessly 2 nice tries in a row...all those breaks against NZ in test 1, including a try in the first 10min was it ?...

We've got SO much potential, it's sad from a rugby perspective, regardless of the fact that I'm a French supporter. Terribly sad...

This third test, I have a feeling will be an okay rebound for us - but I don't think is our ultimate redemption for this year's woeful displays. That, will come later...

Last edited:
I wouldn't put it all on PSA though. He has had some very dodgy decisions, but I think most of it comes from wanting to play the XV that would be the best if they were all on form, without thinking of the results or of the players' health. Sort of expecting the players to get fatigue injuries to tell the clubs "I told you so".
For the third test there aren't that many options. Michalak and Picamoles are out, Guirado, Kotze and Mermoz have proven they're not up to it (probably Kotze will get another chance). Of the 30 players left, I'd say there is a bunch that are bordering the physical collapse: Domingo, Mas, Maestri, Dusautoir, Nyanga, Fofana and Médard. Some of those will have to play anyway, while some other absences make selections a bit "easier".

Front row: Szarzewski has been playin really bad, though not worse than Guirado. I think it would be wise to have a full Racing front row on the bench, which would give Ben Arous the opportunity to show his worth in better conditions. I am hopeful for Ducalcon actually. He got destroyed in the first test, but there had been only 30 minutes of scrum training before that game. If Domingo is out (please God no!) I'd even consider starting with Ben-Arous, Szarzewski and Ducalcon, as it seems more and more obvious that Debaty is not a starter. Mas has to play. Probably the most important French player.

Locks: Maestri needs to rest, but if we leave him out of the 23 we have no TH lock cover if Vahaamahina goes down. Flanquart should play, which should push Samson out of the 23 (he managed to have 0 attempted tackles last test).

Backrow: There are 5 available, out of which in all likelihood at least one will not make it to the third test. The other 4 go in the 23.

Halfbacks: There are 4 available, I think all will feature. I don't think PSA will risk playing Doussain at 10. After Machenaud's game last Saturday, Doussain is likely to start, with either Tales or Lopez. Tales seems more likely given his defense and long rage kicking game (trying to think as PSA).

Centres and back-three: Of the 11 players available, I think Medard and Mermoz won't feature. Of the remaining 9, only six will feature. Dulin will surely start at 15, and Huget will be somewhere to cover 15 (probably starting at the wing). We've seen Planté play two tests already, so I don't think he will play. The five remaining spots are to be given to any of Fofana, Bastareaud, Fritz, Fickou, Nakaitaci, Andreu and Huget. Nakaitaci and Andreu are unlikely to start, though we may see Nakaitaici on the bench. We might see Fofana on the wing... Anyway, there is 97% chance someone will get injured before the test, so there is little point in speculating.

I think this will be closer than the second test, maybe even than the first. AB by 3.

Oh I tried to give you good rep for this one, but I apparently have to "spread some more around"...tough luck !

AB by 3 ?!....hmmm I dunno. Man, it's just such a disappointment huh, isn't it man ?!....:(
Fkn injuries and game plan problems and what not and even the fatigue factor you've just mentioned.....we're not going to get even that one win are we ?..
Oh well, the potential for greatness still is there, I'm just waiting for the moment it manifests itself...I'll be patient, and hope we at least survive with alright results in the meantime.

Yeah, Domingo has given sooooooo much this year, poor guy...I do think some of our guys are on the verge of having a seizure or smt on the field !! :p
And yes, Ducalcon had some trouble (not "destroyed" though) as a starter in the scrum, and there's no way Debatty starts...in any match, I don't care if it's even this June's Argie side ! I can't understand how he can be so bad in the scrum, while being so physically powerful. I know I know, technique...but still.

I like the chances that are given to Brice Dulin, looks like a kid you can count on...

*Insert French war jokes here in context with rugby*

Mathieu Bastareaud a déclaré que les Bleus doivent faire preuve de résistance pour bien figurer face à leurs adversaires : « On a vu qu'on n'était pas forcément récompensé par les efforts qu'on a faits sur le terrain. Il va falloir se bouger un peu, se révolter. On est quand même l'équipe de France, on se doit de montrer un meilleur visage et on a largement les moyens de le faire (…). A nous de rectifier le tir et d'être plus sérieux dans l'application des consignes et plus rigoureux (…). A nous de nous prendre en main, de leur montrer qu'on est des grands garçons et qu'on ne veut pas accepter ça. Que l'on ne veut pas subir. »

com'on Basta lead us to victory!! :D

Will be interesting to see if DC gets a start or if Cruden Holds his spot, even though Cruden had a fantastic game you kinda expect that carter will get a start if the Doc gives him the nod.

either way I think I'm going to play the ben smith drinking game even if I am watching the game at home by myself haha?!

will probably require at least a tray/crate of speights or I'll run out.

Mathieu Bastareaud a déclaré que les Bleus doivent faire preuve de résistance
Totally agree.
pour bien figurer face à leurs adversaires : « On a vu qu’on n’était pas forcément récompensé par les efforts qu’on a faits sur le terrain.
I don't know about that - but you might be right. We'll see I guess.

Maybe.

falloir se bouger un peu, se révolter.
No need to go into insults now buddy. But yes, fair point.

On est quand même l’équipe de France, on se doit de montrer un meilleur visage et on a largement les moyens de le faire (…). A nous de rectifier le tir et d’être plus sérieux dans l’application des consignes et plus rigoureux (…). A nous de nous prendre en main, de leur montrer qu’on est des grands garçons et qu’on ne veut
A bit off topic, but yes, I like ice cream.
pas accepter ça.
Say what now about our mothers????

Que l’on ne veut pas subir. »
Disagree

:D

^ French is the most beautiful language there is, but that was actually pretty funny :D

NZ team I'm expecting (/hoping for a little bit) is:

1 Woodcock
2 Coles
3 Afeaki
4 Romano
5 Whitelock
6 Luatua
7 Cane
8 Read
9 Weepu
10 Carter
11 Ranger
12 Nonu
13 Smith
14 Smith
15 Dagg
16 Mealamu
17 Crockett
18 Franks
19 Thrush
20 Vito
21 Kerr-Barlow
22 Barrett
23 Piutau

Worth noting that there have only been two new caps so far, with both of them coming off the bench and getting very little game time.

Camille Lopez must return to the team in place of Michalak if Les Bleus want to increase your chances

^ French is the most beautiful language there is, but that was actually pretty funny :D
I would agree that it's one of them. My point was to showcase and have a laugh at my lack of understanding. Though I could've Google Translated - but that would've been cheating. :p

Camille Lopez must return to the team in place of Michalak if Les Bleus want to increase your chances

Agreed - he looked more dangerous than Michalak ever did during the 2nd test.

1 Woodcock
2 Coles
3 Afeaki
4 Romano
5 Whitelock
6 Luatua
7 Cane
8 Read
9 Weepu
10 Carter
11 Ranger
12 Nonu
13 Smith
14 Smith
15 Dagg
16 Mealamu
17 Crockett
18 Franks
19 Thrush
20 Vito
21 Kerr-Barlow
22 Barrett
23 Piutau

Worth noting that there have only been two new caps so far, with both of them coming off the bench and getting very little game time.

Well, who knows ... in this article they seem to expect that Vito will start at 6, Weepu and Carter starting at 9 and 10, and Ranger starting at either Ben Smith's or Savea's expense. They expect that Luatua and Piutau will be the only new caps, and will earn them from the bench

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/8810553/All-Blacks-set-for-mix-up-ahead-of-third-test

I'm hoping that those two at least, get some game time.

Well, who knows ... in this article they seem to expect that Vito will start at 6, Weepu and Carter starting at 9 and 10, and Ranger starting at either Ben Smith's or Savea's expense. They expect that Luatua and Piutau will be the only new caps, and will earn them from the bench

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/8810553/All-Blacks-set-for-mix-up-ahead-of-third-test

I'm hoping that those two at least, get some game time.

Yeah I had a gander at that - don't how know how much of it is inside info and how much is pure speculation. They say that Vito had great impact (or words to that effect) off the bench, which I think is a bit of an overstatement ;)

I just don't see much benefit in Luatua coming on once we're ahead and playing against a bashed up French forward pack - he needs to get a proper test under his belt, and I'd much rather he starts now instead of against Oz or SA. The same goes for Piutau - coming off the bench when we're 20 points up isn't going to do his development any good.

1 Woodcock
2 Coles
3 Afeaki
4 Romano
5 Whitelock
6 Luatua
7 Cane
8 Read
9 Weepu
10 Carter
11 Ranger
12 Nonu
13 Smith
14 Smith
15 Dagg
16 Mealamu
17 Crockett
18 Franks
19 Thrush
20 Vito
21 Kerr-Barlow
22 Barrett
23 Piutau

If this is the team and guys like Kerr-Barlow and Piutau come off the bench early in the game with plenty of ball then the French could face a big blowout score.

The French just didnt lift last week and thats whats required. The Blacks were more than what they were in the first test. If France wants to win this game they have to play and work much much harder.

Not only do they need Camille Lopez but they need to select Mon. Miracle as well, who can play any position at any time and then just 5 mins before the ko. sack PSA, then and only then could the AB's loose !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALLEZ LES BLEUS....desperate times need desperate measures!!!!!!!!

Who was at first five in the first test? He was just as useless as Michalak.

They need someone who actually wants to play rugby, and isn't going to do stupid things like Michalak does, nor just hoof the ball into the air every time they get it, like the first fly half.

Who was at first five in the first test? He was just as useless as Michalak.

They need someone who actually wants to play rugby, and isn't going to do stupid things like Michalak does, nor just hoof the ball into the air every time they get it, like the first fly half.
That was Camille Lopez. It is obviously PSA's instructions to kick everything away, since neither Michlak nor Lopez do that normally. That's why I think Tales will start, his kicking game is more "natural" than Lopez's, and PSA seems to think that's he only role for a FH (I wonder why he didn't select Plisson then?)

Latest posts