• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Life after Eddie …

I think it's a bit soon to say 'we'll run out of other options'. As @Which Tyler said, we can't offer anyone a contract right now and with the likes of Robertson and ROG very publicly stating their interest, it feels hugely pessimistic to say we won't have options.
TBF I think we've already offered someone the role but it just won't be announced for a while because it'll distract from world cup prep which is why we didn't even try and string Edwards along a bit (if we've got no one lined up and told Edwards he's categorically not in the picture then that's silly)

told Edwards he's categorically not in the picture then that's silly
Is there even so much as a rumour of this?
Or is it purely because France offered him a contract extension and he took it?

I don't blame the rfu for not getting Edwards, I just get the impression he doesn't like something about the rfu otherwise he'd have a job with us at some point. Or maybe he just really likes some of the great French baking or culture.

At least we haven't announced Jim Malinder or someone like that!

I just get the impression he doesn't like something about the rfu otherwise he'd have a job with us at some point.
It's hard to take a job you're not offered (barring 2006 when he had a good reason not to take the role)
Is there even so much as a rumour of this?
Or is it purely because France offered him a contract extension and he took it?
Maybe a bit hyperbolic on my part but
People have asked if I wanted to join England but there was no offer on the table. I went for a walk down the River Thames with Bill Sweeney, the RFU CEO, last year but there's not been much conversation since.
No offer and no hint of an offer - I still stand by it, we should've let him know he was on the radar (if he was, which he should've been IMO)

Currently, of course, there isn't a picture to be part of.
But there's also a gulf of difference between "categorically told he's not in the picture" and "not been much conversation"

I think it's a bit soon to say 'we'll run out of other options'. As @Which Tyler said, we can't offer anyone a contract right now and with the likes of Robertson and ROG very publicly stating their interest, it feels hugely pessimistic to say we won't have options.
None of us know what's really going on of course. But one valuable lesson I've learned from my professional life is that once you've done your due diligence and identified the right person you can't be wishy washy, you've got to go after them hard. Money's an aspect, but more about making it bloody clear why they'd be a brilliant fit for you - make them feel loved and keep a dialogue going, for years if needs be. Because if you don't someone else will.

Hopefully Olyy is right in that a deal's already been done. This is one of the plum jobs and we ought to be able to get our pick of the talent.

It is a 'plum job' and that's more or less how ROG and Robertson have described it.

I'd like to think I'm an excellent candidate in my field, but that doesn't mean I expect to be approached. If I see a job I want that I know doesn't come up often, I'll apply for it. It may be that interest is driving proactivity from the candidates in this case.

I accept it's different in professional sport, but ultimately, there aren't many qualified candidates and I don't know if it's genuinely possible to establish whether someone really is a 'brilliant fit' in the same was can in most professions.

IMO, the RFU should certainly have a good idea of who they might like, but we're still a year away from the appointment being needed which is plenty of time to be courting our preferred options.

I accept it's different in professional sport, but ultimately, there aren't many qualified candidates and I don't know if it's genuinely possible to establish whether someone really is a 'brilliant fit' in the same was can in most professions.

IMO, the RFU should certainly have a good idea of who they might like, but we're still a year away from the appointment being needed which is plenty of time to be courting our preferred options.
You're right that there aren't many great candidates and that's why it's important to be on the front foot to get the man we really want. Recruitment's an art not a science and you can never be 100% certain that anyone will work in any job, but you do as much dd as you can.

Time helps. If we're thinking of someone like Robertson he's a Kiwi, living in NZ and I'm guessing his kids are around school age? Potentially uprooting a family like that takes a lot of weighing up.

Times saying that we're looking to have the new appointment finalised by May with Robertson, ROG and Borthwick all in the frame. Unclear if that's the full shortlist but kind of implied that it is.

I can see that timing being difficult for Robertson. He's been very open in saying that the ABs is the job he really wants. That doesn't come around all that often and he must be thinking there's a good chance of an opening post RWC (I'm assuming Foster will take the team to France now).

Times saying that we're looking to have the new appointment finalised by May with Robertson, ROG and Borthwick all in the frame. Unclear if that's the full shortlist but kind of implied that it is.

I can see that timing being difficult for Robertson. He's been very open in saying that the ABs is the job he really wants. That doesn't come around all that often and he must be thinking there's a good chance of an opening post RWC (I'm assuming Foster will take the team to France now).
Can anyone in the know give me some info on Robertson? Previous experience? Why do we want him?

Do NZ want him to go away to get experience first? Meaning he might be available for us?

Robertson, ROG and Borthwick all at the same time?

Make It So Patrick Stewart GIF

I wouldn't expect to see Jamie George dropped post WC he maybe pushing on and unable to play at that level for the 27 WC who knows (I think he'd be 35 - 36) but I still consider him the best hooker in England, if LCD picks up an injury he suddenly catapults to the only viable option with proven worth internationally and let's face it his darts are second to none, even when the Sarries contingent under performed he was always class.

I wouldn't expect to see Jamie George dropped post WC he maybe pushing on and unable to play at that level for the 27 WC who knows (I think he'd be 35 - 36) but I still consider him the best hooker in England, if LCD picks up an injury he suddenly catapults to the only viable option with proven worth internationally and let's face it his darts are second to none, even when the Sarries contingent under performed he was always class.
Its about evolution...

Age isnt important...performance is. If they are 40 and playing out of their skin...keep them in and introduce the new young players around them and replace the old men when the time is right.

I HATE this building for a world cup. Play for every competition to win it...and slowly develop the side as you go.

Play for every competition to win it...and slowly develop the side as you go.
A can be directly counter to B (see the current situation with Hookers - where we can't afford to bin George in case LCD picks up an injury; and therefore the situation continues, as no 3rd option actually gets a chance at international rugby; that logic sees LCD and George being our hooking duo into their 50s)

Now, I agree that if you're good enough, you're young enough, but we need more than 2 options for each position - especially front row.

I've already given my favoured approach on this thread, so won't spam with repetition*; but I think the entire RWC squad should get the following summer and Autumn off for R&R, and development of alternatives. I'd give the RWC starting XV longer off.
If they're that good, then they'll come straight back into the squad once they've had a break, if we've found someone better in the mean time, then that's a good thing.

* ETA: Sorry, not this thread, but was within a week: Linky for anyone interested

Last edited:
A can be directly counter to B (see the current situation with Hookers - where we can't afford to bin George in case LCD picks up an injury; and therefore the situation continues, as no 3rd option actually gets a chance at international rugby; that logic sees LCD and George being our hooking duo into their 50s)
But thats where a good manager comes into play...

Evolving. Getting selection right. Against certain teams you bring the young lads in and rest others..

Whilst you play to win, theres always opportunities to bring in a youngster in a settled side to get regular valuable gametime..

And when the youngsters are ready, you phase out the older guys.

Latest posts