• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

MMA/UFC thread

There was clearly one person escalating this and one person who did try to keep things civil before the fight. Khabib overreacted to all of this, but he neither initiated nor escalated this. He just finished it.

To quote one of the greatest troubadours of the XX century: if you want blood, you got it.

And sure, there are consequences to what Khabib did and there should. However, one of those consequences is that people will get quite a laugh next time McG does his gangster thingie.

Regarding a rematch, unless McG goes back in time and starts training with bears at high altitude since he was 5 yo, well, the result will be pretty much the same.

McGregor went to court over the bus incident, it was handled. Its not really defendable but neither is it relevant, using it as a defence for Khabib this morning doesn't hold up to scrutiny at all.

Words are words, he's in the fight game he's going to be on the end of it, no excuse to attack members of the audience.

Pinning blame on McGregor or the UFC for Khabib attacking someone is wrong regardless of how it is spun. I've seen people elsewhere defend it as cultural, that's what to expect of a man from Dagestan. That argument dies once you realise that they're in Las Vegas Dagestani culture means nothing there. I've seen the argument that he was provoked and it was allowed build by the UFC and McGregor, is it not enough for Khabib to beat the **** out of McGregor for four rounds to vent those building frustrations. He proved what he had to prove and rubbed it in McGregor's face and then he escalated it past the point it can be defended.

We're talking about a grown man here, grown men who get provoked by words and physically attack someone in response can't be defended regardless of what was said. What makes this somewhat unique is that there can be no punishment of substance for Khabib because he doesn't much care about material things.

This is all a perfect storm, the humble man with honest family values etc... Defeats the egomaniac who only cares about money and would want to be careful he doesn't rot away his septum. Because people have been told that being humble is better than boastful and glorify the type of discipline Khabib shows in his personal life coupled with the fact that people don't like how McGregor essentially does what he wants means they want to excuse Khabib in spite of what he has done. If McGregor was slightly less hateful it could easily be spun as a charismatic man who provides for his wife, child and family v a 30 year old who chooses to live with his parents. The point I'm trying to make here is the background and reason for doing something illegal is entirely irrelevant when we're discussing two millionaires, this wasn't a man stealing bread to feed the poor or protecting someone in danger, it's Khabib serving his own ego as much as McGregor ever has.
I'm not defending Khabib, there are no winners here, if he had have gone about it the 'right way' we'd be debating him being potentially pound for pound the best in the world rather than this, I agree with a lot of what you say however if Dana White is going to encourage and promote ****le both banter and moreover personally offensive remarks he cannot take the high road when it goes wrong.

He didn't just attack a RANDOM member of the audience though did he, all of the hangers on are culpable both from McGregor's and Khabib's side, if what Dillon Danis has shouted at Khabib is true then he shouldn't be surprised he been given a slap, McGregor and his hanger's on and Dana White wanted ****le and Khabib reacted.

As for taking the high road and being the bigger man, In theory yes in practice maybe not so much whether your a professional MMA fighter or a member of this forum until your provoked to the point Khabib has apparently then you don't know how you'll react.

To add, Dillon Danis is notoriously an absolute see you next tuesday.
He's widely hated in the BJJ world and was actually kicked out of Marcelo Garcia's gym (and MG is one of THE nicest guys in the game, a real OG) because of his attitude issues.
He's been hanging out of Conor's arse ever since he got brought in to his training camp (and he was there only there as a back up after the Danaher Death Squad all turned Conor down), running his mouth in the press, tried to start **** with Nate Diaz after the 2nd fight etc.
If it was gonna be anyone getting a slap it was gonna be Danis.

Total and utter domination from Khabib. There can be no legitimate call for a rematch because the fight was so one sided. The next challenger for the ***le has to be Tony Ferguson. Will it do 1m PPV buys?

I can understand Khabib's reaction. He was goaded repeatedly in the build up and released his emotions. While I won't condone him jumping at Dillon Danis, I don't think it's as bad as, say, Conor McGregor going after referee Marc Goddard at a Bellator event last year. He'll get a slap on the wrist. Those who jumped into the cage to assault McGregor will be rightly fired. If Khabib's purse is withheld, does it affect his share of the PPV money too?

You reap what you sow. The Irishman can have no complaints but I think if he had the opportunity to do it all again he'd change nothing, bar getting arrested! He's about $50 million richer and has given his new whiskey unbelievable exposure. That he's now considered a victim despite a mauling and the unsavoury trash talking on his part is quite astonishing. He's now lost three of his last five fights.

Khabib, Zubaira Tukhugov and Islam Makhachev versus McGregor, Dillon Danis and Artem Lobov in a steel cage at Wrestlemania anyone?!

Nah, PPV money comes directly from the UFC (or Zuffa/WME, whoever controls the purse strings these days) - the commission only controls the actual fight purse.
Explain this to me. Does he get the money ever or what?

Explain this to me. Does he get the money ever or what?
They'll withhold it while they do an investigation.
There's an insanely slim chance he gets none of it, but most likely is they'll fine him (usually 10% of the purse, often reduced to 5% on appeal) take it out of the cash and release the rest to him

They'll withhold it while they do an investigation.
There's an insanely slim chance he gets none of it, but most likely is they'll fine him (usually 10% of the purse, often reduced to 5% on appeal) take it out of the cash and release the rest to him
And just on this. I suppose any sanctions with Russia is irrelevant and hownlong will it be held up. Like that may cause tension when dealing with his next negotiations

International sanctions won't have anything to do with it,
Its a deal between the ufc, the Nevada state athletic commission, and Khabib
The commission take the money prefight so that the UFC can't wait till after the fight and then go "ah wait we've gone bankrupt, bye!" and disappear without paying.
It also gives them the power to definitely get any fines they dole out.

Worst case scenario, in all this, is khabib refused to fight in Nevada again, in which case there's plenty of other places to fight (almost every state has its own commission) and Vegas misses out on all the cash his fights bring in.
Conor threatened that before when he got a 150k fine, so they halved it.

The athletic commissions aren't involved in any fight dealings between fighters and promoters - they're there for the actual running on the event, they can't influence khabib/the ufc other than banning khabib from fighting in Nevada.

Tony Ferguson has earned the right for a shot at Khabib and the ***le but I can't help think that Khabib Vs GSP would be a classic but given neither have competed at welterweight for 5-6 years don't see it happening, more appealing than McGregor 2 for me though....

By all accounts GSP has been doing test cuts to 155 for a Conor fight,
I wouldn't be massively surprised to see Khabib vs GSP for the inaugural 165 belt next summer during international fight week

That is one of the reasons McG's persona is over. McG's bus event looked all calculated and performed. Even the follow up. All recorded, then six figure lawyers, 5 figures watches and suits., pfffff

The Khabib comes along and after beating the crap out of the other groups alpha dog jumps the fence and goes, alone, after the rest of them. The pic is priceless.

After that, any attempt from McG to even pretend to be tough while Khabib is in the same room is nothing short of laughable.
Did McG even show up to the post fight conference?

By all accounts GSP has been doing test cuts to 155 for a Conor fight,
I wouldn't be massively surprised to see Khabib vs GSP for the inaugural 165 belt next summer during international fight week
That's the fight for me, Ferguson deserves his shot and I'm all for honouring the natural order but if Khabib takes Ferguson out I'd love to see that fight....

He's too small to be a wrestler IMO - unless he has some mad gymnastics skills or the WWE returns to attitude era aesthetics.
I thought he'd had talks with them? might be wrong, I agree although he has got the mic skills to get over and like him or loathe him he's money...

That's the fight for me, Ferguson deserves his shot and I'm all for honouring the natural order but if Khabib takes Ferguson out I'd love to see that fight....
Yup, could easily do Khabib/Tony on the new year card then go from there

Latest posts