• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Munster v Northampton

Hey, we've only played Munster in Thomond 4 times in 15 years. It's really not that bad.

Lads can we get over it :(
Leinster beat us hands down and I think that game will have 0% involvement with this weekend.

Well of couse it will. To say a team's last game has no relevence on its next is preposturious.

Well like yes both teams tried and were giving it all but they were both just back after 6nations.

Like just say for example if Leinster lost and Munster won this weekend, then would we agree Munster would be better off like (I will be supporting Leinster by way just an example)

Like game was just a coincidence that it was a derby but traditionally the 2 ML games between 6Nations and H'Cup are used to ease players back in and reform units.

There's an interview with O'Gara in the Guardian surrounding this game. He can't help but tell the world what a wonderful guy he is:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/apr/06/ronan-gara-munster-northampton

There is the extra motivation that comes from being written off, as he sees it, by Dublin-based journalists who have rushed to anoint Leinster's Jonathan Sexton as Ireland's next big thing. O'Gara was even moved to pen a letter of complaint to the Irish Independent following a critical column that suggested he had as much chance of stopping the French centre Mathieu Bastareaud as Kate Moss."At times when you listen to some of the media in Dublin, you have one out-half who has played 100 Tests and another who has played six or seven and you don't know who they're talking about," O'Gara says. "I don't have much of a relationship with them." O'Gara has always viewed life through ultra-competitive eyes and he is not about to hand Sexton the keys to No10 before the latter has paid his dues...........The most frustrating part of the Six Nations from my point of view was that we didn't win a Triple Crown. Ireland have only won 10 in their history and I felt I could have made a better go of that [Scotland] game from the start."
Ronan, you weren't picked because your defence is ****, you have no running game and your goalkicking prowess deserted you earlier in the season.

The guy's an egomaniac. I like how he has the courage to speak his mind and not sugar coat things but some of his statements are ridiculous. He's throwing his rattle out of his pram with this outburst.

My word....
To echo my previous post: O'Gara to get Morgan-Parra'd by Courtney Lawes!

I can only assume the lack of Northampton-Bashing emanating from the Emerald Isle hints at at a comparitive lack of confidence compared to the January fxture? Considering Munsters name is in the ***le, there's an amazingly low number of posts so far in this thread.

Anyway, more BS Buildup from Planet rugby:

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3822_6080404,00.html
Best not daunted by Thomond

Neil-Best-v-Light-Blues_2411571.jpg

Northampton back-row Neil Best has insisted he will hold no fear about the 'Thomond Park factor' when Saints collide with Munster on Saturday.

And the Irish international is adamant his team-mates can draw strength from their recent experiences there when they return to Munster's stronghold for their Heineken Cup quarter-final.

It will be meeting number three of the season between the teams after Saints won the Pool 1 opener 31-27 at Franklin's Gardens and Munster won the final group match 12-9 in Limerick less than three months ago.

Now the prize is an away semi-final against either Biarritz or the Ospreys early next month with Best and fellow Saint Roger Wilson - both former Ulster players - well acquainted with the demands of travelling to play a team who have lost just once in their last 42 home Heineken Cup matches.

"Roger and I have played there numerous times and I know none of our players will be daunted by going there in the quarter-finals," said Best.

"That last match gave us a lot of confidence and that is very encouraging as we prepare to go back for a huge game.

"The big thing is that we believe in ourselves wherever we are playing and know we could have won that match at Thomond in January. If I remember correctly the pivotal period was when Dylan (Hartley) charged down a box kick and we had to score from a scrum on their line.

"However, it ended up with them clearing their line and holding on for the win.

"Munster have such a great pedigree and history in the Heineken Cup and their player welfare now is such that players are rested ready for the big games - and this is one of the biggest when those who have had a bit of time off are back in the team.

"The atmosphere and hype surrounding matches at Thomond, the sea of red supporters and everyone talking about the game means it is just great to be part of it all and play at the ground.

"Our travelling support is superb but I am not bothered if I am playing in front of one man in a flat cap with his dog or 80,000, though I accept the first 20 minutes on Saturday will be crucial.

"All in all it is going to be a very difficult encounter but we are also a good team.

"People were saying that our home win against them in Round 1 was one of the best games they had seen in years. We played really well in matching their ferocity and intensity and tactically we were very clever and it was certainly a great match to play in and to win."

Northampton, who beat Leeds 14-7 at the weekend, are in second spot in the Guinness Premiership and the first to qualify for the 2010/11 Heineken Cup after lifting the LV= Cup final. But Best reckons the ambitious Saints have the treble of LV=Cup, Heineken Cup and domestic ***le in their sights.

"The prize is to win all three - and we have only done one third of that - although the LV= Cup final was a tremendous spectacle plus we ensured Heineken Cup qualification as well," he said.

"But the next day it was back to work as we looked ahead to what we still have to do in the Premiership and, more immediately, in the Heineken Cup."
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3822_6081197,00.html
A Hartley set on a Saints treble

Dylan-HArtley-preMunster_2440285.jpg

Dylan Hartley is convinced Northampton are capable of completing a famous LV= Cup, Premiership and Heineken Cup treble this season.

Saints have already lifted the LV= Cup, sit second in the Guinness Premiership and face a Heineken Cup quarter-final against Munster in Limerick on Saturday.

"We are lucky enough to still be in the mix for the Premiership and Heineken Cup," said the club captain.

"There are nine games left if we keep winning. Every game for us now is massive.

"Premiership-wise we want to keep winning and put ourselves at the top to get a home semi-final.

"If I was asked which do I want to win more out of the Premiership and Heineken Cup I'd say both, because it's realistic. We are in the mix.

"I'd love to be able to sit here at the end of the season and say the treble was amazing.

"But Munster is a big enough job and you can't get too far ahead."

Hartley is stunned that back row Roger Wilson continues to be overlooked by Ireland selectors.

Rugged former Ulster forwards Wilson and Neil Best have been key components in Saints' success this season and will feature at Thomond Park.

Wilson has won a solitary Ireland cap in 2005 while Best made the last of his 18 Test appearances as a substitute in the 2007 World Cup.

Hartley expects them to play a key role against Munster and questions why Wilson has failed to gain greater international recognition.

"You look at those two boys and you know they will leave everything on the field on the weekend," said the Saints skipper.

"I think Roger Wilson is one of the most under-rated players I have every played with.

"I could easily see him in the Irish team, but for whatever reason he's not.

"He has been playing well for us every week. I know Neil Best will also be as mad and passionate as ever come Saturday."

Well, there are scarce few Munstermen about the place at the moment... I wonder why:) .

Anyway, I reckon they'll win, it's a big ask for a relatively young side like Northampton to go over to Thomond and depose one of the truely great european teams of the last 5 years. Alot riding on this one imo: If Munster win, it's a big blow to a very promising Northampton team. If they win however, it could be another nail in the coffin for an ageing Munster setup.

So as much as it pains me to say it, O'Gara's lot will probably win out by 5 or 6 points.

Hey we not BS'n we licking our wounds and while still hurting after last week we waiting in long grass to just come out fighting for a win.

But Munster (except ROG :p) won't be in media much.
We all know how it all went. Gloucester, Sale, Wasps and Saracens have came before and told media they all will bash us and break the Thomond voodoo. And well we all know how they went.
Tigers came to a dirty wet Thomond, said nothing just routine stuff nothing worth printing and well won.
Trick is less you say better chance you have in these situations as Munster while been quite are soaking it in.

If Munster win, it's a big blow to a very promising Northampton team. If they win however, it could be another nail in the coffin for an ageing Munster setup.

Sounds remarkable similar to the various medias' bullshit summary of the 2000 final: "Oh, Munster were unlucky to lose, it was all about them and they can feel quite disappointed about taking the cup home".

I'm sure I read a few reports after that match that barely mentioned that Northampton were even playing in the same final, let alone they butchered Munster upfront. Forget the fact Saints had won the European cup, that year all any bugger could talk about was that Munster didn't.

And this was in the bloody biased English media! God knows what the equally pathetic Irish papers were like!

If Warwick starts at 10 with O'Gara on the bench we will win, if not I am worried.

I came up with a really complex and sophisticated system to predict the score for this weekends fixture, based upon possession, tries scored, tries conceded, penalties kicked, penalties conceded, minutes in opposition half and metres gained.

However, it didn't work, so I just played MUP09 instead...

saintsvmunstersc&#.jpg

Was the red card to Hartley or Best?

haha love it but i don't now how to make it work for me (i mean MUP).

The season will be a resounding failure if we lose this weekend. Some serios questions must be asked of both the players and managment. It feels a bit like the end of an era, would love it if we could keep the dream alive for another few weeks, before we have to face the massive clearout and years in purgatory that awaits.

Still at least it will get rid of the 2006-2008 bandwagon jumpers.

Let's see: Munster have a home quarter final in the Heineken Cup, are 2nd in the Magners League and are top try scorers in that competition. In two month's time they could have done the double. Talk of Tony McGahan doing a bad job is as crazy as a bunch of Leinster fans (and there were many) wanting Michael Cheika out about 15 months ago. There are problems, most namely an ageing team, but they can easily be worked out.

Performances have not been good, and there appears to be an unwilllingness to blood new players. I wouldn't mid these poor performances as much if young players like Tony Ryan, Archer, Sherry, Nagle, O'Donnell, Holland, Murray, Williams, etc. etc.

Sure some of the yong lads ( esp. the backs) don't look great, we really should be working on developing some of the excellent forwards around the place.

Next year i'd like to see some young Leinster backs poached, get them where they're skills are needed, instead of wasting away playing A games or moving broad.

Performances have not been good, and there appears to be an unwilllingness to blood new players. I wouldn't mid these poor performances as much if young players like Tony Ryan, Archer, Sherry, Nagle, O'Donnell, Holland, Murray, Williams, etc. etc.
Ryan - I assume you mean Dave Ryan. He was injured for much of the season, hence signing Du Preez on a short deal. He's moved ahead of Brugnaut in the squad now.
Archer - looked very average in the games I saw him and is nowhere near ready.
Sherry - not going to dislodge Flannery, Fogarty or Varley. Have heard a rumour that Leinster are chasing him though.
Nagle - probably deserved another couple of chances instead of picking Holland in the second row.
O'Donnell - probably a better bet than Ronan.
Holland - don't rate him.
Murray - unless he's improved drastically since last season with Ireland u20s, I don't think he's good enough.
Williams - very talented scrumhalf who'll get more of a chance next season.

Peter O'Mahoney definitely deserves to have played more by now but by and large, McGahan hasn't done badly in blooding players. The talent just isn't there in a lot of cases. There are a fair amount of good forwards waiting in the wings but terribly few backs - I imagine Munster will need to bring in a new 10, 12 and winger at least over the next 15 months.

It won't matter on Saturday since I really think Munster will win comfortably.

Latest posts