• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Munster v Northampton

Why would Quinny move at his age, I'm certain when he can't make Munster squad he'll retire.

On to Gavin, Warick to start at 10 over ROG -> Are you mad when ROG is probably on best form he's been on for a while.
And Durbutter how will season be a failure and how can we question management, they only playing with the deck they're dealt and as Snoop pointed out they top scorers in ML and have most realistic chance of Irish to make final as Leinster will have the harder semi if both Irish provinces were to make it that far.

Also, I hold great faith in Leinster were been slated this time last year and well they turned out to have a pretty nice season.
What bugs me though is it likes of ye that will be saying " oh I always said Munster would survive etc etc" when they are on form.

As for McGahan and Co bringing players through I think he has done a very good job and while there isn't alot coming through he is doing it right as rushing some prospects through could have a negative effect

Na i won't be saying that mm. Munster never cease to make an arse out of me.

I dont beleive some peole actually think munster are now on a downward spiral. sure their not playing brilliantly but lets not forget top seed in heineken cup. second in magners. british and irish cup semi final. doesnt sound so bad. im not to worried about aging players. if their playing well and they've got the physical strengh then keep them in.

On to Gavin, Warick to start at 10 over ROG -> Are you mad when ROG is probably on best form he's been on for a while.

His best form still doesn't mean he can tackle, and IMO isn't as good at Warwick at getting the back-line going.

I have always been impressed with Warwick whenever ive seen him play, i would start him ahead of O'Gara. I would like to think Northampton can win this, they have a very talented squad with the likes of TINY and Lawes. Should be a very good game COME ON SAINTS

Warwick 29
Howlett 31
Earls 22
Mafi 27
Hurley 26
O'Gara 33
O'Leary 27
Leamy 28
Wallace 33
Quinlann 35
POC 30
DOC 31
Hayes 36
Flannery 31
Horan 32

So this imo is Munster's strongest team, realistically Wallace, O'Gara, Hayes, Quinlann, Howlett, Horan and with all his injuries Flannery don't have long left who do Munster have to replace them? I'm just taking a stab in the dark here but could Munster look something like this in two years

Jones
J Murphy
Earls
Mafi
Hurley
Warwick
O'Leary
O'Mahony
O'Donnell
Leamy
POC
DOC
Buckley
Varley
Ryan

Thing is thoug Warick is playing his best rugby at 15.
And yes eventually Warick will get in at 10 but for now why disrupt team like.
Who'll get in at 15 if we do make that move?????
How''ll we change gameplan (Munster base it using BOTH ROG & Warick)?????
Why'd you drop ROG when Warick hasn't been on best form (while not poor either)?????

And as Cooonor has said regarding reserves we in semi's of B&I cup so like it not all gloom.
And just quick point if Warick starts at 10 and has 2/3 bad games then it'll be same people who'll be giving out ROG was dropped.

Either way i've great faith in McGahan.

I agree with munstermuffin. ROG should stay 10 as thats how Munster base their game plan. last week he was captain and now were talking about how his position should be up for grabs. anyway I cant see him not playing 10.

Where is Felix Jones? He has so much talent, and is a young player.

Mefinks Saints shall look like:

1. Tonga'uiha
2. Hartley/Sharman
3. Murray/Mujati
4. Kruger
5. Lawes/Lobbe
6. Dowson
7. Best
8. Wilson
9. Dickson
10. Geraghty/Myler
11. Reihana
12. Downey
13. Clarke
14. Ashton
15. Foden

16. Sharman/Long
17. Mujati/Morris
18. Dreyer
19. Lobbe/Cannon
20. Easter/Hopley
21. Dickson
22. Myler/Geraghty
23. Diggin/Ansbro

NORTHAMPTON SAINTS TEAM TO PLAY MUNSTER
Heineken Cup quarter final
Thomond Park
Saturday, April 10th, 2010
Kick off 5:30pm
15 Ben Foden
14 Chris Ashton
13 Jon Clarke
12 James Downey
11 Bruce Reihana
10 Stephen Myler
9 Lee Dickson
1 Soane Tonga'uiha
2 Dylan Hartley (capt)
3 Euan Murray
4 Courtney Lawes
5 Juandre Kruger
6 Phil Dowson
7 Neil Best
8 Roger Wilson

Replacements
16 Brett Sharman
17 Regardt Dreyer
18 Brian Mujati
19 Ignacio Fernandez Lobbe
20 Mark Easter
21 Alan Dickens
22 Shane Geraghty
23 Joe Ansbro

Am I good? Hell yeah I'm good!

No Diggin in the 22. Is that a surprise? I think he's quite an effective player.

you can see there going for every point with myler, smart play. I bet Geraghty is gutted since he played so well against munster in the pool stages. I think there will also be a threat with best and wilson. even though their not the main players you think of however the link up together very well and best is one tough guy

It amuses me when people think Myler is a by-the-numbers, Wilkinson-clone with no ability to get a backline moving. It amuses me very much.

Dowson will be the key man I reckon. He'll take Quinlan to school, that's for sure.

Coughlan Set For First Heineken Start
9 April 2010, 8:18 am
By Pat Geraghty
Dolphin's James Coughlan is set to make his first Heineken Cup start having been named as number 8 in the Munster side to face Northampton Saints in Thomond Park Stadium tomorrow
The 29 year old Ireland International Sevens player's five previous appearances in the competition have come off the bench but tomorrow he wins his 40th Munster cap having debuted in 2006 against Cardiff Blues at The Arms Park.
Coughlan's inclusion at number 8 means David Wallace moves back to the openside while Keith Earls' recovery from a groin injury leaves the backline showing just one change from the one that played the Saints back in January, Earls renewing his centre partnership with Jean de Villiers while Lifeimi Mafi is named on the bench.

Further good news for Munster is that their other groin injury sufferer, Paul O'Connell, has also been included in the side. The captain and Earls both trained in Cork yesterday and both will be expected to take part in the Catain's Run this evening.

Munster: P Warwick; D Howlett, K Earls, J de Villiers, I Dowling; R O'Gara, T O'Leary; M Horan, J Flannery, J Hayes; D O'Callaghan, P O'Connell capt; A Quinlan, D Wallace, J Coughlan. Replacements: D Varley, J Brugnaut, T Buckley, M O'Driscoll, N Williams, N Ronan, P Stringer, L Mafi.

Happy with that, would've preferred D.Ryan instead of Brugnaut.

Hopefully we don't get any injuries in the backs. Then again, TOL JdV, Warrick and Earls are fairly versatile.

Too right. Quinlan is shite.

I remember him doing a very nice job (particularly in the first half) against your lot in the last match. Dowson is a better player though, Quinny's prime is well past.

Glad that Coughlan's at 8. He may not be as destructive as Williams but he has a far better work rate. And Quinny-Ronan-Wallace is just too light-weight for the match.

Earls at second centre is a god-send too. Some people will argue that he's better on the wing, but the ball was never getting that far when Mafi was playing. Also less chance of a sin-binning.

Think NH made the right call with Meyler too. They would have won the last match had he started I think. And Geraghty has lost the form that won NH the first pool match.

Either way....C'MON Munster!!!! But if Saints win, I'll be cheering for them all the way to the final.

Geraghtys problem was always being flakey - Brilliant at his best, very average the rest of the time: An English Carlos Spencer. Sadly his early season form died when England got hold of him for the Autumn and he's never been the same player since then. Myler is a great attacking player too - not as tricky but you won't find a better passer in the sport - but he also brings the territory game in his arsenal. A much better option for knock-out competition.

As for Quinlan v Lawes in January: An experienced test player who's won the HEC vs a youngster (carrying a groin injury) in his first "big" game situation and he barely got the better of him.

If it weren't Paul Warwick playing that day, this game would be in Milton Keynes. Quinlan wasn't the savior IMO. Bollock to what Sky said.

Anyway...
SaintsManifestocopy-1.jpg

Bullitt wasn't it ROG who kicked points that day :D :D

As for team I happy enough as while we'll miss Ronan in some department Coughlan is a natural 8 and Ronan will come on to have an impact with maybe 20mins or so left when the game opens up.

As for Quinny despite all the BS he will get job done and even if Lawes was 100% fit Quinny ( who won that battle clearly and was MoM) still would have taken him as he has every trick in book.
And Bullitt you say if it weren't for Warwick this game would've been on in Milto Keynes if it weren't for luck ye would've lost in Italy :p
But Quinny isn't able for 80mins no more and I suspect also that part of reason to include 2backrow players on bench.

As for our bench I happy with it as Ryan is still a bit raw for this and Bruno is experienced and a good scrummager.
We have only 2 backs on bench because of simple fact it all we have, I seen Deasy come on last week and he went hiding, we cant afford that this week.
And we have our secret weapon NICK WILLIAMS :D
And Monkey is right hat while Coughlan isn't as destructive as Williams he has better work-rate.
Williams will be like Buckley and make impact over 10mins or so.

Latest posts