• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Munster v Northampton

I was very shocked that Munster scored four tries today. They really put Northampton to the sword in the last 20 minutes.

Form is temporary and all that, what was really encouraging today was it was a great SQUAD performance, all the subs made an impact when they came on, Buckley really is an animal in the loose, and all this with integral players O'Connell and Leamy missing, good stuff.

On a side note it was funny seeing O'Connell humping that guy in slow motion for Howlett's second.

scrum was great and it didnt fall to pieces when Buckley came on. thought he made a great impact when he came on and his rip and drive was great in the last 5 mins. I think he will take hayes' place.

Well lads just back from Thomond and well atmosphere was electric, found it funny though that all call here were for Flannery been dirty when anyone at match will agree Hartley was just as bad and well rumour has it Ashton set to be cited for stamp on Flannery's head in 1st half.
But well another team comes to Thomond Park telling media this and that and well another one bites the dust.

Munster really had everything perfect today, ROG was excellent and anybody who was at match would have noticed wind was awful for kickers today. Saints are an excellent team and will be a major force to be reckoned with. Myler was excellent and his 3points in 2nd half he took with class in what was a funny wind. Only thing i didnt understand was why Northampton didn't do what Munster did which was use wind and pin in to corner.

ROG yet again showed his class and experience big time and for people who slate his tackling what ROG does is stop player until someone else does the rest and that ok with me.
Buckley is really developing in to a good player and working with a scrummaging coach more often could be a massive boost.
Interesting what Hook said too about POC missing being linked to good scrum. I don't know but it is interesting.
Also we seem to be getting more players back and it could boost us. For semi-final we should have Hurley back in to back as well as Dowling been ok and well Mafi seemed ready for it today and was superb in defense making some massive hits.

In forwards, Coughlan really stepped up today while Nick Williams finally looks ready to cut back on women and booze for the cause.
Horan was also brilliant today and rattled Murray but all our front row were excellent except for few wobbly darts.
And Quinlan was my Man of Match and was all over the park. And although he gave away a stupid 3points it could have easily been 7 as Saints had a big chance outside.

I think we have a chance for semi-final but well lets not forget Biarritz in San Sebastian will be a massive test and well I fear the heat could possibly effect us and our pack could struggle to have the legs for it.
All in all a great win today though and find it funny again that Flannery gets slated where there were plenty of Saints as bad and 1 or 2 more Munster too just as bad.

I'm going to give it my view. If you go to Thomond Park thinking you're the team to beat and that you can get a result easily then you're asking for trouble frankly. Only Leicester Tigers can go to Munster thinking that to be frank. Saints started well but after that just wilted under the pressure I felt. The same factors that work for them at Franklins Gardens worked against them at Thomond Park.

Prestwick what happened and Leicester were only team that didn't do it, Is teams come and talk rubbish and well put loads of pressure on themselves.

This week Foden, Best and especially Hartley were in media with all this crack of we'll win and we don't fear Thomond Park etc etc, if so then OK keep it in camp and don't be running your mouth and rising Munster. It's simple thinking that funny enough the brains of the game can't master.

I can't argue with that although the scoreline was a little bit flattering to Munster...I'm so proud of Saints though - they were in the match for 76 minutes and you just thought that a little bit of Saints magic could've sealed it; but ultimately the difference between the two teams is that Saints needed the magic and Munster didn't - absolutely lethal from the set piece in the 22 and the second half kicking from ROG was outstanding, our back three had about two or three chances to counter in the entire match which is our biggest weapon. Dowson and Lawes were unusually quiet too, I know PD was carrying a knock, they just weren't the animals they usually are, especially when we needed a Courtney special on one of the half backs. I thought we were unlucky with a couple of decisions but also should've put away another try or two (I think that 9 times out of 10, Myler's cross kick finds Ashton, looked like the wind carried it a bit). I loved watching the ROG tackling clinic though, he was getting repeatedly trucked by Downey, Wilson and Hartley.

But in the end it has to be said: well played Munster...O'Leary was so dangerous, Warwick and Earls always seemed to make something happen and their pack acquitted themselves very well, especially without POC.

Muse-Cubed even Munster fans know that we weren't 14points better and game was a battle and we do respect Saints massively.
And well thing about ROG is while he doesn't tackle massively noone went through him as he holds them up until one of pack puts player down.
And cross-field kick was caught with wind and was ahead of Ashton because wind was stronger than suggested on TV.

And anyone at match would've seen too Earls was struggling to be fit and only did half the warm-up as well as stretching off the ball constantly.

What a game to watch, even though I only started to watch just as the 2nd half got going.

From what I saw Alan Quinlan had a massive game!He was everywhere on the park, solid in attack and defense.The whole Munster backline looked in very good touch, ROG kicking the Saints into submission was pleasing to see and of course the try from JDV, great scrum set-play move!
Well done to Munster and bad luck for the Saints.

Yeah Quinny was in my opinion Man of the Match although TOL was excellent too.
It's a pity De Villiers is leaving at end of season as it is only in past 2/3 months he really started to learn what Munster means to people here and he is one of few imports that actually is living in Limerick but as I said it omly in past 2/3 months he understands what it means and is really producing on what he is a world-class centre. I really hope he gets his 12 jersey back with the Springboks as he is a class act and hope he returns to us then for another term.

It's a pity De Villiers is leaving at end of season as it is only in past 2/3 months he really started to learn what Munster means to people here
I'm glad you brought that up. De Villiers struggled in his initial outings but he's been the key player in the Munster backline since his try away to Perpignan. He'll be a massive loss next season.

I don't agree with you're defence of O'Gara's, er, defence. He gets in the way but is frequently steamrolled by oponents. I thought he was quite poor for the opening 50 minutes but he really turned on the style for the last 30 with some exceptional touchfinders and general passing.

I'm glad you brought that up. De Villiers struggled in his initial outings but he's been the key player in the Munster backline since his try away to Perpignan. He'll be a massive loss next season.

I don't agree with you're defence of O'Gara's, er, defence. He gets in the way but is frequently steamrolled by oponents. I thought he was quite poor for the opening 50 minutes but he really turned on the style for the last 30 with some exceptional touchfinders and general passing.
But that is all he can do like I know he not stopping player but he is delaying a player to buy time.

As for saying ROG had poor opening half I disagree. against a strong breeze he controlled it well and for Howletts first try it was ROG's vision to change direction fast that made it.

And then, unlike the Saints in first half, ROG used the breeze to perfection and pinned them in to the corner in the knowledge for once we had the upper hand in scrum and Horan was killing Murray.
Main difference was Munster got their tactics perfect yesterday.

it was ROG's vision to change direction fast that made it.
ROG did indeed change direction and bring it down the blindside - down the side where 5 or 6 defenders were faced by 3 attackers including O'Gara! That try has more to do with Howlett's clinical finish and a defender stepping in than with O'Gara's decision to change direction. It was a good pass to set Howlett away though. It follows that if there were more defenders than attackers down the blind side, that there was an overlap on the open side. The end result was 5 points for Munster but that doesn't hide the fact that the outhalf should have gone the other way. Just my opinion of course.

Main difference was Munster got their tactics perfect yesterday.
Agreed. O'Leary drew in the Northampton defenders all day which freed up room for the Munster outside backs. The scrum also provided a platform from which to attack. It was a good display and Munster are certainly good enough to pick Biarritz apart in the next round.

Still it was easy to notice in Stadium that outside in openside things were stale and well yes there may have been more defenders but it was the pace he did it mixed with Howlett's class that got the try.

But even with the wind like I admire Saints because they want to play ball but with the way wind was and they're class in back wouldn't it be smarter as Munster did to play the corners and be clinical.

good points

set piece was very reliable. I was very pleased with the scrum
we played with good pace and hunger
some great tackling and defence (did you see mafi's hit on reihana)
some good individual performances
great kicking

Bad points

gave away to many penalties. espcially in the first half. this is important in the heineken cup.

MOTM: alan quinlan

Lads just an update on Paulie, rumour has it that he is meeting consultants now and injury is a hernia and back problem.

Latest posts