• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Zealand v Wales - Saturday 26 June 2010 - Hamilton

Hardly seems wrong to have strong opinions.You on the other hand have resorted to personal insults and just generally running me down.
me-playing-violin--54981.jpg

Not bad match, much better performance from wales. again every time NZ were in wales's half, they scored points (even if its 3 points its still ticking away at the score board). Weird how us welsh are happy with a loss and NZ not very happy with a win, but i have a feeling that debate is already being dealt with :p.
Not sure whether Lee Byrne should have had yellow card, there were worse tackles, but who am I to judge. The double yellow was interesting, seeing as if Gavin thomas wouldn't have reacted and thrown a punch, the incident would never have been seen (there was plenty of that from the AB's in both tests - Southern Hemisphere teams are more streetwise and Northen hem's are just too slow at doing it themselves). Scrums were a lot better this week, looked good actually just gotta use possession a bit better.
Seems as if wales are the opposite to a few years ago
- used to get beat up good and proper up front but still score some tries)
but now compete physically (imo) but don't do jack poop behind when they have certain players missing.
ah well
bring on the new domestic season :D :D :D

Not bad match, much better performance from wales. again every time NZ were in wales's half, they scored points (even if its 3 points its still ticking away at the score board). Weird how us welsh are happy with a loss and NZ not very happy with a win, but i have a feeling that debate is already being dealt with :p.
Not sure whether Lee Byrne should have had yellow card, there were worse tackles, but who am I to judge. The double yellow was interesting, seeing as if Gavin thomas wouldn't have reacted and thrown a punch, the incident would never have been seen (there was plenty of that from the AB's in both tests - Southern Hemisphere teams are more streetwise and Northen hem's are just too slow at doing it themselves). Scrums were a lot better this week, looked good actually just gotta use possession a bit better.
Seems as if wales are the opposite to a few years ago
- used to get beat up good and proper up front but still score some tries)
but now compete physically (imo) but don't do jack poop behind when they have certain players missing.
ah well
bring on the new domestic season :D :D :D
Maybe you can explain this to me? How bad does a loss have to be for you to be unhappy? Because the Irish are about to lose to the Aussies in aclose one and they aren't going to be happy.

Last edited:
Maybe you can explain this to me? How bad does a loss have to be for you to be unhappy?
Mate, it really wasn't a 'bad' loss. a 19 point deficit in New Zealand is probably our best result down there in ages. I agree our performance was crap but you can't go about saying how awful we are because it won't get you anywhere or help you to progress as a team. The positives (when I can find them) have to be built upon to try and get momentum and an eventual decent team performance.

Mate, it really wasn't a 'bad' loss. a 19 point deficit in New Zealand is probably our best result down there in ages. I agree our performance was crap but you can't go about saying how awful we are because it won't get you anywhere or help you to progress as a team. The positives (when I can find them) have to be built upon to try and get momentum and an eventual decent team performance.
Well we don't tend to take a lot of positives from our World Cup Failures but we tend to play better for about four years afterwards, Hmmmm.... Perhaps theres something to this enjoying loses thing.LOL

Sure the Team can't go about saying how crap they are but the supporters sure can. Your the only Welsh Fan i've seen call the performance crap everyone else seems to think because the score was alright that Wales suddenly became competitive by losing by 19.

Last edited:
Well we don't tend to take a lot of positives from our World Cup Failures but we tend to play better for about four years afterwards, Hmmmm.... Perhaps theres something to this enjoying loses thing.LOL
The point is we're nowhere near challenging teams like you properly. The stuffings we get are just an illustration of where we are. No matter how much **** Gatland sprouts we are no closer to getting a major scalp, or indeed doing anything at all in next year's world cup. At this rate we'll be lucky to get out of the group.
Something needs to click pretty soon.

Sure the Team can't go about saying how crap they are but the supporters sure can. Your the only Welsh Fan i've seen call the performance crap everyone else seems to think because the score was alright that Wales suddenly became competitive by losing by 19.

It's quite amazing how stupid you are, carry on.

The point is we're nowhere near challenging teams like you properly. The stuffings we get are just an illustration of where we are. No matter how much **** Gatland sprouts we are no closer to getting a major scalp, or indeed doing anything at all in next year's world cup. At this rate we'll be lucky to get out of the group.
Something needs to click pretty soon.
Wow thats the pessimism i was looking for! Feels good to find someone else as hard to please as me.

Maybe you can explain this to me? How bad does a loss have to be for you to be unhappy? Because the Irish are about to lose to the Aussies in aclose one and they aren't going to be happy.

well i think i speak for every welsh person (any other person) on here and say that we all know realistically we were never going to beat the AB's in any test, any time soon. we are still a long way off, our main goals for the tour was to compete for as long as we could. It was a loss yes, which does not make make happy (especially seeing as i'm now on crutches for 6 weeks - but thats a totally different story :p), but after last week every expected another drubbing (seeing as i was informed that todays AB's side was actually stronger - i've probably been misinformed) but taking everything into account, the a loss of 19 points (especially seeing as Lee Byrne gifted the AB's that final try) is in fact for Wales, an improvement over last week. Still not a brilliant performance from us, but better than last week. :D

It's quite amazing how stupid you are, carry on.
You don't even know me, so why am i supposed to care what you think? i'm just trying to get a better understanding of your limited mind. In fact it appears to be you who is too stupid to see he is being baited.

Last edited:
Jeezzz, whizz. Grow up both Jake Heke and wjd23104. Stop bickering.

Jake, no need to resort to swearing, especially when you're maiking yourself look bad because of an idiot.

wjd23104, why are you so intent in rubbishing the quality of Welsh rugby? It's a pretty sad state of affairs when you can't say "good game, nice improvement, better luck next time", instead you have to be a poor sport and rub it in the faces of those who lost. You're the kind of poster that embarrasses me, and makes NZ seem like prats...

Jeezzz, whizz. Grow up both Jake Heke and wjd23104. Stop bickering.

Jake, no need to resort to swearing, especially when you're maiking yourself look bad because of an idiot.

wjd23104, why are you so intent in rubbishing the quality of Welsh rugby? It's a pretty sad state of affairs when you can't say "good game, nice improvement, better luck next time", instead you have to be a poor sport and rub it in the faces of those who lost. You're the kind of poster that embarrasses me, and makes NZ seem like prats...

One needs to know his place, swearing is just a exclamation mark, nothing more.

I might comment on the game (if that's ok with you guys).

Pretty average game in my opinion - never really got going. I thought the yellow card on Byrne was a bit harsh, but you are really asking for trouble if you lift a player like that. I thought Thomas actually deserved a yellow for his shoulder charge though. The rucks were refereed much more strictly that last week (as has been the norm in Super 14 rugby) - the Welsh players got penalized for a lot of things at ruck time that the referee allowed last week.

There were few standout players for the AB's. Jane had another strong game - though that is the norm now for him. Guildford also had a very strong game - caught the high ball, chased kicks well, made a few breaks, and prevented two tries being scored within a 5 minute period. His performance will be certainly be enough to see him make the tri-nations squad. Kahui was very good as well, both on attack and defense - we didn't miss Smith as much as I thought we would.

Stanley was solid again, but I think it may be his last game in a black jersey for some time with MacAlister and Nonu coming back in. Ranger played like he always does - broke a pile of tackles, but blew a try by going himself instead of passing with a three man overlap. He still has a way to go.

There were no real standouts up front for me. Owen Franks played well when he came on, while it was good to see Donnelly get through a solid 50 minutes of rugby.

There has been some debate here, and on other rugby forums regarding the Lee Byrne yellow card, and whether or not it should have been given. Opinions range from "just a penalty" to a red card.

From a referee's perspective, Byrne could and should have got a a red card, not necessarily for the inherent danger in the tackle, but because of an iRB memorandum to referees (dated June 2009) regarding Dangerous Lifting Tackles. I have attached the memorandum for anyone who wants to read it, but the essential part is the summary,

To summarise, the possible scenarios when a tackler horizontally lifts a player off the ground:

► The player is lifted and then forced or “speared†into the ground. A red card should be issued for this type of tackle.

The lifted player is dropped to the ground from a height with no regard to the player’s safety. A red card should be issued for this type of tackle.

► For all other types of dangerous lifting tackles, it may be considered a penalty or yellow card is sufficient.

Referees and Citing Commissioners should not make their decisions based on what they consider was the intention of the offending player. Their decision should be based on an objective assessment (as per Law 10.4 (e)) of the circumstances of the tackle.
There is no doubt that Byrne lifts Donnelly off the ground; that is clear for everyone to see in the video...

He then loses control of Donnelly, who crashes to the ground.

Byrne and the Welsh captain argued that it was accidental, and to be fair, perhaps his loss of control was not intended. However, from the moment Byrne lifted his opponent off the ground, he became responsible for what happened to that opponent. It was only sheer luck, or perhaps Adam Jones' presence of mind, that prevented Donnelly hitting the ground head first.

IMO, Kaplan erred on the side of leniency. He should have red carded Byrne, and will probably get a bollocking from his Match Assessor for not doing so.

Attachments

• att3-090608-POB-Memorandum-re-Dangerous-Tackles.pdf
    14.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
What Kaplan should get a bollocking for was his overall amateurish performance

There has been some debate here, and on other rugby forums regarding the Lee Byrne yellow card, and whether or not it should have been given. Opinions range from "just a penalty" to a red card.

From a referee's perspective, Byrne could and should have got a a red card, not necessarily for the inherent danger in the tackle, but because of an iRB memorandum to referees (dated June 2009) regarding Dangerous Lifting Tackles. I have attached the memorandum for anyone who wants to read it, but the essential part is the summary,

There is no doubt that Byrne lifts Donnelly off the ground; that is clear for everyone to see in the video...

He then loses control of Donnelly, who crashes to the ground.

Byrne and the Welsh captain argued that it was accidental, and to be fair, perhaps his loss of control was not intended. However, from the moment Byrne lifted his opponent off the ground, he became responsible for what happened to that opponent. It was only sheer luck, or perhaps Adam Jones' presence of mind, that prevented Donnelly hitting the ground head first.

IMO, Kaplan erred on the side of leniency. He should have red carded Byrne, and will probably get a bollocking from his Match Assessor for not doing so.

Well, you can't crticise Kaplan's decision if he was just following instructions. There is no way that that kind of tackle should get a red card. That is way to harsh for my liking.