• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Next Lions Tour

if there are no scots on the tour will it still be called The British, Irish and Scottish Lions?

ISeeWhatYouDidThereBlackSS.png

if there are no scots on the tour will it still be called The British, Irish and Scottish Lions?
it may aswell just only be the british and irish lions cause even if he do better than the irish in the six nations they still get more players on tour then we do its bullsh*t

it may aswell just only be the british and irish lions cause even if he do better than the irish in the six nations they still get more players on tour then we do its bullsh*t

Which current Scottish internationals do you think are good enough to be lions?

It's because they're good players who had a terrible coach and showed that with their clubs and a year later when mostly the same group won the 6N.

Which current Scottish internationals do you think are good enough to be lions?
well for the last lions tour matt scott should have been there, Greig Laidlaw should have been there as he had a great six nations in 2013, Ryan Grant should have been picked from the start, when they added shane williams in and wade really Tim Visser should have been there, and there are others

True enough for most of those names.

Thing is: The Welsh and those who had done well in 2009 on tour (so the Irish and Welsh) got the benefit of the doubt where there were marginal cases.
So in other words scotland and england lost out - though I will admit that England then got a pretty good deal in terms of call-ups - twelvetrees, wade, Barritt...so yeah you have a point.

well for the last lions tour matt scott should have been there, Greig Laidlaw should have been there as he had a great six nations in 2013, Ryan Grant should have been picked from the start, when they added shane williams in and wade really Tim Visser should have been there, and there are others

I agree with all that.

think that people atm underestimate some scotland players who can actually make huge impact for the lions just haven't been given a chance to prove them self

Great Britain is the island we all live on.

Barring some monumental feats of engineering Scotland will always be British.

Scotland gaining independance bears no relevance to the name of the Lions.

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is a 'British citizen' not dependent on being a part of the United Kingdom, not Great Britain?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is a 'British citizen' not dependent on being a part of the United Kingdom, not Great Britain?

Yes.

But "British and Irish Lions" doesn't suddenly exclude Scotland just because they aren't part of the UK.

think that people atm underestimate some scotland players who can actually make huge impact for the lions just haven't been given a chance to prove them self

Think you might be overstating it a wee bit. The names you mentioned above are pretty much borderline cases. No scottish player besides Hogg simply HAD to be picked for that tour. There's high competition and you need to be more than just a very good player to tour.
The most hard-done by players were probably Kelly Brown and gree Laidlaw and even in these cases there were other players equally hard-done by - E.g Robshaw and Care for England. I don't think Scotland can actively complain about the number of lions they have until they're form and results over time are significantly improved. Even if Scotland get to their 'best' in the coming years they still may not be the sort of team to have loads of 'world class' players. England had pretty consistent table positions in the six nations in the second half of the 2000's and we took practically no players on the lions tour of 2009.

Last edited:
Players from Scotland that could make the tour are Laidlaw, Scott, Brown, Beattie and Denton. Hogg will probably get back to his best and Visser is a class player.

Scotty it's very easy to mention names that could have been on the tour, but you also have to say whom you want to drop from the original squad. Then it's not so clear.

Brian O'Driscoll

To be fair Scotty does say who instead of Williams, Wade etc....

I'd probably have taken Scott and Laidlaw over 36 and Murray at the begging of the tour, currently I'd have Laidlaw over Youngs and Philips. Might also have switched Grey for 2013 Hamilton.

Latest posts