• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

North vs South

• Thread starter springbok world champs
  • Start date
Well Boggle, at least you actually have fkn Telkom up there in the civilization. Here in Paradise Beach, not a single fkn land-line available- the feckers at Telkom reckons it`s not worth the expenditure.

I`m stuck with a fkn Gogga 3G card, from which my wife has to run her business, and we have to do our net surfing. Add to that calling the Receiver of Revenue from a cellular line during peak hours, getting put on hold for 2 hours at a time, and guess what it costs us to be able to communicate with anyone outside of Die Eiland?

Ah, just another day in (3rd world) paradise.....

Is it true that you guys have 10 ft high walls with hired goons for security over there? o_o

And chicken wire over the windows?!

Is it true that you guys have 10 ft high walls with hired goons for security over there? o_o

[/b]

Nah, I actually have a moot dug around my property, with live crocodiles for security. And I don`t even have to feed them, the gazelles still roam the streets over here. And I have a real, live lion in my back yard too. Works wonders for security, but it`s a ***** when the kids want to play fetch with him. " No, Tigger, bad lion. Put down BokMagic jnr right now, or there`s no live horses for you tonight."

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

Nah, I actually have a moot dug around my property, with live crocodiles for security. And I don`t even have to feed them, the gazelles still roam the streets over here. And I have a real, live lion in my back yard too. Works wonders for security, but it`s a ***** when the kids want to play fetch with him. " No, Tigger, bad lion. Put down BokMagic jnr right now, or there`s no live horses for you tonight."

[/b][/quote]
Well that's my daily dose of humor. :D

HAHAHA that was brilliant Bokmagic.

I feel for you though, 3G is expensive :mellow:

<div class='quotemain'>
You could put Grahame Henry in as Lions Coach and he'd still have a mammoth task ahead of him.
[/b]

Grahame Henry did have a go, in 2001. He lost.

Apparently he tried to copy Ian 'the legend' McGeechan and the way he had run the tour, but got it completely wrong.

Also reported to have given an utterly awful speech and changed tactics at half time of the second test, which ultimately resulted in the Lions losing control of the match the seeing the series swing in Australia's favour.

Or mabye I'm thinking of a different Grahame Henry, because the one in charge of the AB's is perfect, right?
[/b][/quote]
It's the same Graham Henry, the one who was so horrible that he was a Wilkinson-Thrown Interception pass and one line out at the end of the 3rd test away from winning the series. Good thing the English Players moaning paid off and they got the coach they wanted all along in 2005... how did that turn out again?

Originally posted by Prestwick
Mastermind Sir Clive didn't have years and years together with a select squad of players whom he had chosen and modified along those years, furthermore he didn't have years and years of high octane test matches to mould his perfect team.

What are you on about? Henry didn't have "years and years" together with his squad of players, he had 12 months (he was only appointed in 2004) which he spent experimenting with and had to rethink his whole coaching plan after the failure of the flat backline - The Team which took on the Lions from 2005 had some major changes from the team Henry used for the Bulk of 2004. And in turn that 2004 team had major changes from the team Mitchell used in 2003.

Just like to let you NH folk know that the Crusader's are well equipped of playing in freezing conditions and rained out atrouish weather... Remember New Zealand is well known for mud baths

It's the same Graham Henry, the one who was so horrible that he was a Wilkinson-Thrown Interception pass and one line out at the end of the 3rd test away from winning the series. Good thing the English Players moaning paid off and they got the coach they wanted all along in 2005... how did that turn out again?[/b]

What are you on about? The English players didn't moan. If they did, the Scots, Welsh and Irish fans wouldn't stop talking about it for more than a decade. I haven't heard any moaning from my fellow home nations fans so this is yet another piece of Kiwi propaganda.

In the end, lets be blunt: Henry tried his best but he got given a rough deal because of how the Lions is organised and run...which brings me onto...

What are you on about? Henry didn't have "years and years" together with his squad of players, he had 12 months (he was only appointed in 2004) which he spent experimenting with and had to rethink his whole coaching plan after the failure of the flat backline - The Team which took on the Lions from 2005 had some major changes from the team Henry used for the Bulk of 2004. And in turn that 2004 team had major changes from the team Mitchell used in 2003.
[/b]

What do you mean, "what are you on about"?! I was simply explaining why we seem to send the Lions out with their proverbial cricket bats broken in half (to quote Lord Howe). But even then, by trying to explain away the fact that possibly, just possibly, even the best of coaches (i.e. Henry as Lions coach) are indeed fallible all you've done is added weight to my argument about how raw a deal the Lions Coaches get, period.

You don't actually get my point. The All Blacks might have had different coaches but they did play together in one form or another in consecutive years. Yes some new players might have come in for 2005, but those players had probably played together the New Zealand Maoris, etc. Also, the players in New Zealand are at the call of the national coach whoever it may be. If he wants to do a 60 day straight training camp to stamp down his authority, he can do that because the players are centrally contracted. The Lions don't have these luxuries.

Meanwhile, with the Lions, you're just bringing together a bunch of guys from different leagues and nations who have never, ever, played together in their lives. One or two might have playing for Leicester maybe or in the odd charity game but on the whole, the English guys haven't played with the Welsh guys who haven't played with the Scottish guys who haven't played with the Irish guys!

Sure bulks of the players might be British or Irish or whatever, but then you have another problem. This national bloc have to integrate and work with the players of the other three nations otherwise it won't work and because all four nations have different playing styles, quirks etc (England with forward power, Wales with speed & flair with Ireland & Scotland mixing the two) its very hard to do that. This is especially true when the clock is ticking and the players have their own club and national commitments.

In the end Ripper, no matter how hard you try, you can't compare the two. Are you seriously saying that the All Blacks in 2004 were as disorganised, green and rushed together as the Lions were? Come off it mate.

In the Lions will always have it harder, not because of any dark and dirty tricks played by the host nation, but because we seem to insist on hiring a coach and choosing a squad so close to the tour! In order to make Lions tours worthwhile, we really should name a coach at least two years before the actual tour.

We cannot compare the All Blacks and Lions team together pointing how if who has played together for years and years and who have not. The reason why the All Blacks play for years is obviously because we're one country who play tournaments (tri-nations) every year and also some tours. The Lions consists 4 different countries who have played against each other. The Lions tour does not run as a 'yearly' competition like tri-nations or six nations which is why their players don't have years together to prepare. But in between those years there are other competitions running so it sort of pushes Lions preparations out of time.

Its unfair on hosting teams New Zealand because I think that even if we chose the best coach and gave him four years to pick and hone a squad, with preparatory tests in the intervening years, etc, the All Blacks still would have won. It would have been far closer and nail biting but we would have had a better peak at the All Blacks at that stage of development.

We didn't get that chance, it makes me sad :(

Hows about we make a oposing team to the lions made up of SA, NZ, AUS (*and maybe even ARG*) players ?

then we could settle this fairly and squarly.

Not sure what this team would be called though, the colonial Lions maybe ?

That's be silly. That'd be like taking the ABs, removing some of the good players and replacing them with average ones. NZ on their own would be a much stronger side.

That's be silly. That'd be like taking the ABs, removing some of the good players and replacing them with average ones. NZ on their own would be a much stronger side.
[/b]

Are you telling me you shouldn't even bother with the brittish and Irish lions, and simply send in Ireland each time ?

seriously though, don't be silly.

There are a lot of boks who could be in such a team, Vivtor matfield has no equal in the world, or do you disagree ?

Hows about we make a oposing team to the lions made up of SA, NZ, AUS (*and maybe even ARG*) players ?

then we could settle this fairly and squarly.

Not sure what this team would be called though, the colonial Lions maybe ?
[/b]

It would be better to do a repeat of the AWESOME "North vs South Tsunami Charity match" that took place a couple of years back at Twickenham to raise money for the Asian Tsunami that had just happened.

It was an awesome match, Chris Paterson actually playing (for the first and only time) in his correct position at Fly Half and he had an absolute blinder of a game!

It'd be better to just do that kind of one off charity match, that way money gets raised for good causes! Also, the other nations, like France for the North and Argentina & the Pacific Islanders for the south, can get in on the act. Above all, lots of top quality rugby players can have fun throwing a ball around :)

There`s an even easier way to settle this type of argument- why not just get the best national teams in the world competing against each other, every 4 years, in order to determine who are the holders of the William Webb Ellis trophy?

Paris in November this year seems as good a time as any to resume the good old north vs. south debate.

There`s an even easier way to settle this type of argument- why not just get the best national teams in the world competing against each other, every 4 years, in order to determine who are the holders of the William Webb Ellis trophy?

Paris in November this year seems as good a time as any to resume the good old north vs. south debate.
[/b]

PFFFT CRAZY talk !

I propose we let the north eastern teams (*Goergia, Russia, Japan even*) form some sort of raggedy ass rugby team and try and take on a south western "PANTHER" pack (*consisting of SA and the argies*) every 5 and 3 quarter years , should make for a much more acurate judging of the powers in world rugby.

obviously.

[/b]

No, because according to the Kiwis, winning world cups is no indicator of anything.

If they got knocked out (touch wood, hypothetically speaking, etc) then they'd just move the goalposts and say "well, that doesn't prove anything our winning record, blah blah blah..", and we'd get drawn into yet another lengthy and hilariously circular debate (like we're about to have again now, toot toot, boing boing haken en sagen..) and thus that would prove nothing. Kind of like when South Africa beats New Zealand they say "well, that doesn't prove anything..."

North vs South charity match every year the best way then? Good, lets do it.

Latest posts