• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2016 EOYT] Ireland vs. Australia (26/11/2016)

We better hope Earls doesn't have to move into the centre. He regularly makes poor reads playing there.

No great issue with the team picked. D Ryan is unlucky to get dropped but the lads promoted ahead of him bring a lot to the table.

This will have to be won up front because the Aussies have a clear advantage in the backs.

I forgot that Earls "plays" centre, let's hope it doesn't come to that... (Sorry Earls)

It'll have to be won up front indeed. However, I honestly think Ireland's back row is the best in the world at the moment, if it isn't then it's a definite contender. At the time, the Ozzie backrow at the WC would've been the best IMO, but from what I've read and the bits I've seen of Australia since, he's not in top form. Shame, because when he is in form he is a superb player, one of the best, but it's good news for us... :)

If Australia defence can match the Irish forward play (which I think they can) then I don't see their try line being threatened regularly with this Irish selection. On the flip side I think they Oz are always liable to pick up a try or two of their own, even against a good defence like Irelands. Oz by 8-10.

Green 3 tries to 1. Backrow should rinse them, more ball carriers up front won't allow them to spread like NZ. The Aussies won't be ready for the intensity.

I'm going to say Ireland by 8 but we'll see how we turn up. Really should have some bully power in the pack and the last 20 should be ours given the bench. Bit unsure of the backs but if Jacko is to be Sextons successor these are the games he needs.

I'd worry about the 10-12-13 combination blunting us badly.

If Ringrose was at 13, Payne at 15 and Scannell/Marshall/Ronaldson at 12, I'd feel much more confident.

Of course, possibly the best thing about PJ as a player is his ability to bullet a pass across the nose of a defender. Ringrose has the gas to step prior to the pass and make hay. So could work I guess.

We better hope Earls doesn't have to move into the centre. He regularly makes poor reads playing there.

No great issue with the team picked. D Ryan is unlucky to get dropped but the lads promoted ahead of him bring a lot to the table.

This will have to be won up front because the Aussies have a clear advantage in the backs.

Ryan wasn't dropped. Body was well battered after tough few weeks. Lets not forget he hadn't same rest as some after Chicago.

I'd worry about the 10-12-13 combination blunting us badly.

If Ringrose was at 13, Payne at 15 and Scannell/Marshall/Ronaldson at 12, I'd feel much more confident.

Of course, possibly the best thing about PJ as a player is his ability to bullet a pass across the nose of a defender. Ringrose has the gas to step prior to the pass and make hay. So could work I guess.

I agree 100%. I think in time Payne or TOH will oust Kearney. Some will disagree but I think he's done at this level. Marshall probably set himself back but future is Ringrose and Henshaw but 3 lads you mentioned are serious contenders too.

Biggest issue with PJ is he has thrown few intercept passes lately and Aus can hurt us if they get 1. But equally I think he's a very good guy to mix it and isn't afraid to step up. It's 100% correct call to start him. Carberry vs Quade in last 20 would be some crack though

I agree 100%. I think in time Payne or TOH will oust Kearney. Some will disagree but I think he's done at this level. Marshall probably set himself back but future is Ringrose and Henshaw but 3 lads you mentioned are serious contenders too.

Biggest issue with PJ is he has thrown few intercept passes lately and Aus can hurt us if they get 1. But equally I think he's a very good guy to mix it and isn't afraid to step up. It's 100% correct call to start him. Carberry vs Quade in last 20 would be some crack though

Done at this level... Is that from Saturday onwards?

You might not agree but he was at cause of few tries in Chicago and yes played well that game but 1 game doesn't change everything.
As I said you might not agree but alot of people share my view.
You ask alot and they'd have Payne O'Halloran or Zebo ahead of Kearney.

Its a very poor selection. I don't think he is done but yeah, O'Halloran, Zebo and Payne should be ahead of him. Speaking of Payne, he is another player who doesn't offer much when playing at 13. He is a very good fullback though.

Another player who is out of position is Ringrose but I still think Ringrose could be Irelands secret weapon against Australia.

I'd say we might not see Luke Marshall in a green jersey for a while because he blew his chance against Canada. Its a pity because he is a good player but maybe he tries too hard to impress at international level.

You might not agree but he was at cause of few tries in Chicago and yes played well that game but 1 game doesn't change everything.
As I said you might not agree but alot of people share my view.
You ask alot and they'd have Payne O'Halloran or Zebo ahead of Kearney.

At fault for one try, partly. He was good last week again, there's a difference being done at this level and some considering Payne and O'Halloran better players. With there being no point in changing the shape of the backline to put our oldest back at fullback and Zebo an O'Halloran having nowhere near as good positional sense or kicking games as Kearney there'll be no change while trying to capitalise on our dominant pack.

Look, he's played one great (within his limitations), and one decent (where those limitations are painfully evident) game at intl level in how many years?

He's great when running according to a training move mapped out for him by Joe et al or on the garryowen. But ask him to display some real vision on the pitch and he is lost.

With defences being as they are, exploiting turnover is absolutely key to hurting teams. Payne from 15 is a shark sniffing blood on turnover.

For example:

Could Rob Kearney do that? Not in a month of Sundays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look, he's played one great (within his limitations), and one decent (where those limitations are painfully evident) game at intl level in how many years?

He's great when running according to a training move mapped out for him by Joe et al or on the garryowen. But ask him to display some real vision on the pitch and he is lost.

With defences being as they are, exploiting turnover is absolutely key to hurting teams. Payne from 15 is a shark sniffing blood on turnover.

For example:

Could Rob Kearney do that? Not in a month of Sundays.

Agreed Payne is best 15 in these isles by a mile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tough ask for us as Ireland have proven they are a genuinely good side. For Cheika, these last two games will remind him of the final pool games last year against England and Wales. Must win games to top the pool.

It will also go a long way in silencing England and NZ fans who have been giving it to us since June.

What you're team has copped from England and NZ fans this year has generally been deserved. At times this year the Wallabies have been pathetic. At other times, such as in the third test v All Blacks at Eden Park Wallabies have been great and rightly praised for that. Many NZ's think with an ounce of luck the Wallabies would have won that game.

- - - Updated - - -

And another thing Insane. If your team plays the way you did against the All Blacks in Wellington, you should brace yourself for an outpouring of wailing and crying foul from the Irish. If they think the All Blacks are cynical thugs, then the Irish fans should watch a tape of how the Wallabies played that game.

What you're team has copped from England and NZ fans this year has generally been deserved. At times this year the Wallabies have been pathetic. At other times, such as in the third test v All Blacks at Eden Park Wallabies have been great and rightly praised for that. Many NZ's think with an ounce of luck the Wallabies would have won that game.

- - - Updated - - -

And another thing Insane. If your team plays the way you did against the All Blacks in Wellington, you should brace yourself for an outpouring of wailing and crying foul from the Irish. If they think the All Blacks are cynical thugs, then the Irish fans should watch a tape of how the Wallabies played that game.

Aussie bros, what ya suggest we do with this lad?

Yeah eat my ass out will ya? Irony of talking about people whining when you went out of your way to come to a new thread and take it to your level. Fool

Last edited:
At fault for one try, partly. He was good last week again, there's a difference being done at this level and some considering Payne and O'Halloran better players. With there being no point in changing the shape of the backline to put our oldest back at fullback and Zebo an O'Halloran having nowhere near as good positional sense or kicking games as Kearney there'll be no change while trying to capitalise on our dominant pack.

Again I accept you won't agree but I can pick out faults in 2 tries certainly if not 3. And again you'll disagree but I thought he was poor in Aviva game. Alot of others think he was too.
And again you may disagree but alot here will think Zebo and O'Halloran are better than Kearney. And maybe sacrificing a small bit of positiobal but gain alot more in other areas.
Payne offers a better defensive game at 15, argubally better in air maybe has it over Kearney in every aspect.
As I say you don't agree and I respect that but fact is alot of people don't rate Kearney anymore.

Again I accept you won't agree but I can pick out faults in 2 tries certainly if not 3. And again you'll disagree but I thought he was poor in Aviva game. Alot of others think he was too.
And again you may disagree but alot here will think Zebo and O'Halloran are better than Kearney. And maybe sacrificing a small bit of positiobal but gain alot more in other areas.
Payne offers a better defensive game at 15, argubally better in air maybe has it over Kearney in every aspect.
As I say you don't agree and I respect that but fact is alot of people don't rate Kearney anymore.

That's not an argument muff. The one point you make, Payne being better in the air, is simply wrong, Kearney is incredibly safe defensively under a high ball, rarely if ever getting isolated, and is a huge weapon in attack, Payne can compete in the air, he has a tendency to be sloppy though. The rest is you saying a lot of people believe this, that and the other, that means nothing, a lot of people were calling for Schmidt's head 7 months ago so forgive me for dismissing the opinion of the masses.

That's not an argument muff. The one point you make, Payne being better in the air, is simply wrong, Kearney is incredibly safe defensively under a high ball, rarely if ever getting isolated, and is a huge weapon in attack, Payne can compete in the air, he has a tendency to be sloppy though. The rest is you saying a lot of people believe this, that and the other, that means nothing, a lot of people were calling for Schmidt's head 7 months ago so forgive me for dismissing the opinion of the masses.

As I said you don't agree but equally alot would. I'd massively disagree as would many that Kearney is any bit useful these days attacking and I think Payne is as good aerially as many others would. I'm not trying to argue anything by way. Just saying I feel Kearney isn't up to it and cause of tries lately at times. Alot agree with me alot disagree. You see it differently and thats fair enough.
And while I accept you disagree. If you fail to accept alot of people don't think that then you've your head buried in sand. As I say you may not agree but there is a belief amongst alot what I'm saying. Or are you saying I'm 1 of only 5 or so people everywhere saying Kearney should be gone?
Equally don't remember Schmidt's head ever being called for. Alot may disagree with his style at times but never remember his head being called for even after 6 Nations. Only time his job was on line was lately when he was considering.

Latest posts