• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2016 EOYT] Italy vs. South Africa (19/11/2016)

Same rubbish Italian selection as last time with Mclean and Padovani out of position and the inexperienced Bronzini at scrum half over established talent Gori. O'Shea will probably put out a full strength side against Tonga instead such is his strange perspective. At least Venditti is in the squad, albeit a week late. OShea's self confessed "glass half full" attitude is beginning to grate. Predicting meteoric rise for Italy as they put in performance after performance well below the standard of a top 12 team. Gega promising up front but really with the issues at centre and fullback this selection offers very little attacking threat.

Boks by 25-27 if they put out anything remotely resembling a first choice XV.

Same rubbish Italian selection as last time with Mclean and Padovani out of position and the inexperienced Bronzini at scrum half over established talent Gori. O'Shea will probably put out a full strength side against Tonga instead such is his strange perspective. At least Venditti is in the squad, albeit a week late. OShea's self confessed "glass half full" attitude is beginning to grate. Predicting meteoric rise for Italy as they put in performance after performance well below the standard of a top 12 team. Gega promising up front but really with the issues at centre and fullback this selection offers very little attacking threat.

Boks by 25-27 if they put out anything remotely resembling a first choice XV.

It looks like a pretty first choice XV for Italy barring injuries. Padovani is listed as a flyhalf for Zebre and has played at 15 for Zebre this season, Mclean has played at 12 for Treviso this season and has never really set the world alight in the back three with his lack of athleticism. Wikipedia is not the best of sources.

Gori has never really established himself as a good international player (maybe good for Italy), don't see why O'Shea shouldn't see what other players have to offer. Even though it clearly isn't the case, why would it be strange to target a win over Tonga instead anyway?

Your criticism of O'Shea seems a bit bizarre and misplaced to be honest. I mean give the a man a bit of a break he's only been in charge of 4 games and in the summer he had limited time before he left his job at Quins

Last edited:
We shall see. My comments on McLean based on him having played for Italy for around a decade but having had not a single of those caps at centre until this past week. To suggest it is not a second choice position for him is incorrect.

My comments on Padovani are based on his preferred position of fly half and alternative options at full back in the shape of Odiete and McLean. Padovani has only been playing at fullback this season because of the daft decision to allow Odiete to move to Treviso so that Treviso have 2x Italian international full backs (as preferred position) and Zebre now have none.

On Bronzini vs Gori well, fair enough, everyone can have an opinion on a players talents. But to identify NZ and SA as the teams to experiment against with a debutant scrum half is a poor decision to me when you put out the first choices against US and Canada in June. Choosing to experiment primarily against top sides is a recipe for getting thrashed, learning very little and giving ammunition to those who would not mind Italy being removed from the 6N.

Hopefully I'm proven completely wrong on OShea but waxing positivity before and after a near record drubbing by a second or third string ABs is a quick way to make yourself look detached from reality.

No mistake Italy are very poor. But I don't think it's O'Shea's fault, he needs to do something to shake up the set up and find a group of players capable of performing.They have weak depth as it is but now they have to rebuild the squad. It will be a tough few years but hopefully the new academy set up can continue to produce gems. If they don't Georgia is snapping at their heels and looking at their results and quality of players in the under age groups, and investment at all levels I would be terrified if I was involved in the Italian system you

Last edited:
Well if there ever was a chance for Italy to beat SA, it will be this Saturday. Not saying it is going to happen but it is the best chance they have against a very bad Springbok team.

They have weak depth cause they played the same Converted argentine players over and over for the last 10 years.

No mistake Italy are very poor. But I don't think it's O'Shea's fault, he needs to do something to shake up the set up and find a group of players capable of performing.They have weak depth as it is but now they have to rebuild the squad. It will be a tough few years but hopefully the new academy set up can continue to produce gems. If they don't Georgia is snapping at their heels and looking at their results and quality of players in the under age groups, and investment at all levels I would be terrified if I was involved in the Italian system you

I'd agree with all of that. If O'Shea just measured his language a little I'd cut him a long, long line of slack. He's inherited a bad scenario and its not his fault. But instead he says things like:

"...you will see very, very competitive Italian teams very, very quickly. People will laugh at that - let them." - before NZ match, with Treviso and Zebre moored to the foot of the Pro12.

He seems like a nice bloke and by all accounts he is exactly what Italy needs to overhaul its poor processes at youth, club, Pro12 and national levels - so overall I'm happy with the appointment. And looking back, his other quotes seem more realistic while understandably wanting to avoid "doom and gloom". But that level of enthusiasm is going to grate come the 6N when Italy will do extremely well not to get the wooden spoon and have their largest points difference since joining the competition. If he avoids that then I'll happily admit O'Shea was right and I was wrong.

I hear tell he asked Parisse to stay on for an extra season.
It will be hard to lose such a major talent from their squad.

What is interesting to see is how our backline changes every match. It is like AC does not know who to play and keeps giving out of form players a chance. I know some of the changes like Kriel is to do with injury.

EDIT: Sorry don't know how to make the image bigger, but should work if you click on it.

Springboks.png

He is comfortable with swapping his wings around... I don't like that. Let the wingers retain a position and get to know their role better and quicker.
Whats happened to Pollard?

He is comfortable with swapping his wings around... I don't like that. Let the wingers retain a position and get to know their role better and quicker.
Whats happened to Pollard?

Pollard is still injured. Will only be back early 2017.

South Africa

15 Willie le Roux, 14 Ruan Combrinck, 13 Francois Venter, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Pat Lambie, 9 Rudy Paige, 8 Warren Whiteley, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Nizaam Carr, 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 3 Vincent Koch, 2 Adriaan Strauss (captain), 1 Tendai Mtawarira

Substitutes: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Trevor Nyakane, 19, Franco Mostert, 20, Oupa Mohoje, 21 Faf de Klerk, 22 Elton Jantjies, 23 Johan Goosen

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springboks/habana-returns-carr-starts-for-boks-20161117

DDA? This would be an excellent opportunity for Rohan, as he would then be in the groove for the tougher Wales game. Pick the form players! Maybe DDA will find his 2015 form - let him search for it with the Stormers though.

Last edited:
Did Rohan Janse Van Rensburg run over AC's cat or something? Can't believe he can't even make the 23

South Africa

15 Willie le Roux, 14 Ruan Combrinck, 13 Francois Venter, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Pat Lambie, 9 Rudy Paige, 8 Warren Whiteley, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Nizaam Carr, 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 3 Vincent Koch, 2 Adriaan Strauss (captain), 1 Tendai Mtawarira

Substitutes: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Trevor Nyakane, 19, Franco Mostert, 20, Oupa Mohoje, 21 Faf de Klerk, 22 Elton Jantjies, 23 Johan Goosen

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springboks/habana-returns-carr-starts-for-boks-20161117

DDA? This would be an excellent opportunity for Rohan, as he would then be in the groove for tougher the Wales game. Pick the form players! Maybe DDA will find his 2015 form - let him search for it with the Stormers though.

Damn we can be glad we are playing Italy... This team would lose to most teams in the Top 10 I think. I seriously think AC has no f*cking idea what he is doing.

The only good thing I am seeing from this is that he is more consistent with the backline. Only Habana replacing JP.

Not even going to be watching this, going to sit in some Australian backpackers getting ridiculously drunk and try to put a saddle on the ridiculously massive bats they have here.

Hi my name is Max and I'm a rugby's fan.
I hope to see a great mach.
See you next Sartuday:D:)

Hi Bruce my name is Max and I'm a rugby's fan.
See you next Sartuday:D

Happy to see that list of backs for South Africa as it doesn't fill me with terror and the amount of Lions is kept to a minimum. Italy have a chance of keeping it within 20 points against that selection.

Hi Bruce my name is Max and I'm a rugby's fan.
See you next Sartuday:D

Hey Max. Glad to see an Italian around here. I was almost called Maximilian, a very fine name! Ignore my pessimism about Italy. It's just my Scottish side being pessimistic. I'm looking forward to seeing Venditti and Canna in particular. Who are your favourite players?

South Africa

DDA? This would be an excellent opportunity for Rohan, as he would then be in the groove for the tougher Wales game. Pick the form players! Maybe DDA will find his 2015 form - let him search for it with the Stormers though.

I will be watching and I will be supporting Italy. As an ex-Bok supporter I would prefer to see the Boks finish this season with the worst possible record ever in their 125 year history and drop to their lowest ranking ever. I cannot in good conscience continue to support the national team of a country and organisation (SARU) that so openly and unashamedly promotes racial discrimination throughout every level of its hierarchy in terms of appointment and selection policies.

Hopefully when they hit rock bottom that will be the jolt of reality needed to finally turn things around and appoint the right people for the job.

When equality is restored then my support will return.

Latest posts