• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2016 EOYT] Wales vs. Japan (19/11/2016)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Wales.png
attachment.php
Japan.png

Venue: Principality Stadium
Time: 16:30 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

hard to guess how many changes will be made for Wales. i hope there arnt too many so that the new guys that do come in have some kind of stability around them.

I expect Nicky Smith, Baldwin, Hill, Giles and Anscombe will start. I don't think Sam Davies will start 10 even though he should, maybe 15?

Personally I'd go for:

Nicky Smith, Scott Baldwin, Thomas Francis
AWJ, Cory Hill
Sam Warburton, Justin Tipuric, Ross Moriarty

Gareth Davies, Sam Davies
Scott Williams, Jon Davies
George North, Keelan Giles
Liam Williams

A few combinations need bedding in before SA (namely backrow and centre), a few players deserve a chance to stake a claim for the SA match (Sam Davies, Keelan Giles, Cory Hill), and deserve a strong side around them, hence the likes of AWJ playing. North needs to find some form before SA.

I feel that the forward pack there is strong enough to provide quality ball, then we can see what Sam Davies and Giles can do behind. Hope Howley doesn't go for a completely second sting side, resulting in a disjointed display where we learn nothing

Personally I'd go for:

AWJ, Cory Hill

Gareth Davies, Sam Davies
George North, Keelan Giles
Liam Williams

This would be my pick for the team as well but I doubt it will be.

Maybe they'll be tempted to start more of a regular side, hopefully build a good lead and then bring on the likes of Giles earlier then they ordinarily would?

Thought Nicky Smith did well when he came on, so would be happy if he starts. Keep the 6-7-8 combo intact at least until Faletau returns v SA. Keep North in and see if he bags a try or two; 1/2p needs game time so keep him as well.

AWJ, Charteris

Gareth Davies, Biggar
George North, Liam Williams
1/2p

It will be very difficult game but we have to play it !! Lets Go Japan !!

Loads of changes for Wales!

Liam Williams; Leigh Halfpenny, Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, Alex Cuthbert; Gareth Anscombe, Lloyd Williams; Nicky Smith, Scott Baldwin, Samson Lee; Cory Hill, Alun Wyn Jones; Dan Lydiate, Sam Warburton, James King.

Replacements: Kristian Dacey, Rhys Gill, Scott Andrews, Jake Ball, Ross Moriarty, Gareth Davies, Sam Davies, Keelan Giles.

Very interesting, and a good chance to try out some different combinations. Glad to see both Anscombe and Davies getting a shot at 10. It'll be particularly interesting to see if Anscombe can put Roberts on the front foot like Priestland used to.

I think it's an awful team, not that the players are necessarily bad but why aren't the younger ones getting a chance over the ones who showed they aren't good enough?

I think it's an awful team, not that the players are necessarily bad but why aren't the younger ones getting a chance over the ones who showed they aren't good enough?

Because if you chuck them all in there together, there's the chance we'll see a repeat of the 2013 embarrassment. Having Anscombe and Williams starting only to have them pushed back by an inexperienced set of forwards doesn't tell us anything. Plus, when Sam Davies and Keelan Giles come on in the second half they won't be playing with the 'B' team.

Because if you chuck them all in there together, there's the chance we'll see a repeat of the 2013 embarrassment. Having Anscombe and Williams starting only to have them pushed back by an inexperienced set of forwards doesn't tell us anything. Plus, when Sam Davies and Keelan Giles come on in the second half they won't be playing with the 'B' team.

I get not playing a complete B team and agree there should have been some first choice in there. But I don't see the point of starting The likes of Lydiate, Roberts and Cuthbert when realistically then will not be first choice in a few years, makes much more sense to play some of the younger ones from the start. I would have gone for Liam Williams; George North, Jonathan Davies, Scott Williams/or Cory Allen, Keelen Giles, Sam Davies, Gareth Davies, Nicky Smith, Scott Baldwin/Or Dacy, Samson Lee; Cory Hill, Alun Wyn Jones; Moriaty/King, Sam Warburton, Dan Baker

I get not playing a complete B team and agree there should have been some first choice in there. But I don't see the point of starting The likes of Lydiate, Roberts and Cuthbert when realistically then will not be first choice in a few years, makes much more sense to play some of the younger ones from the start. I would have gone for Liam Williams; George North, Jonathan Davies, Scott Williams/or Cory Allen, Keelen Giles, Sam Davies, Gareth Davies, Nicky Smith, Scott Baldwin/Or Dacy, Samson Lee; Cory Hill, Alun Wyn Jones; Moriaty/King, Sam Warburton, Dan Baker

I think it'd be a little premature to start Keelan Giles and expect him to see out the full match when he's barely started his senior career. Scott Williams is injury prone so I'd personally rest him and bring him back for SA. Cory Allen would be a good alternative but then you're playing either him or Jonathan Davies out of position, which has the potential for defensive issues. Roberts isn't the future anymore but I'd argue he still has potential as a sub for the time being so the occasional start isn't a big issue IMO. Gareth Davies is too important to risk against Japan too, so again think the bench is a good bet to keep him 'ticking over' before SA. One thing I'd definitely agree on would be starting Dan Baker at 8, with King at 6 and Lydiate maybe on the bench. If it was a lesser opponent or we didn't have SA up next I'd have definitely been happy with your selection suggestions, though.

Not a bad side, and at least the exciting youngsters should see some game time off the bench. Hopefully Howley gives them plenty of time to show what they can bring, particularly Sam Davies and Giles.

There's two selections I can't get my head around: Lydiate and Cuthbert. Feels very much like Phillips all over again, everyone knows they're finished, but the management take a good two seasons to realise it themselves.

I would also have preferred to see a few combinations continue in situ from the Argentina game, so that they had a chance to bed in a little more before the SA game. These would be the backrow (yes Faletau will be back for the SA game, but more than likely on the bench), and centre pairing. I would have also played North again, because we need him to find some rhythm, and with a more creative 10, this could have been a chance for him to do so.

MojoPin, I don't really agree regarding Roberts having an important role as an impact sub. He makes a poor bench option, especially the valuable 23 shirt. He only covers inside centre, which isn't versatile enough. He's not exactly the kinda player who can come on and spark something if things aren't going to plan either.

Good to see Howley switching Liam Williams and Halfpenny.

I'm just hoping for a bit more expansive game than last time. With Anscombe at 10 and Williams at 15 that should help.

I watched the 2nd half of the Georgia game and I was impressed with Japan's back play, seeing how Wales struggled with Australia's set moves it is something to worry about. However I think Wales should easily beat them up front and starve them of clean ball.

MojoPin, I don't really agree regarding Roberts having an important role as an impact sub. He makes a poor bench option, especially the valuable 23 shirt. He only covers inside centre, which isn't versatile enough. He's not exactly the kinda player who can come on and spark something if things aren't going to plan either.

That's true, probably just being optimistic on my part haha. Just think he has the potential to have an impact when shoulders and feet are getting weaker. That's not so relevant against a team like the ABs but Japan are more likely to be flagging as the game wears on IMO.

Looks a slightly weaker Japan side. No Lemeki after him scoring tries in his first two matches. Still some talent in the backs but the Japanese pack is well below Test standard. Jospeh has suggested so many experienced players have made themselves unavailable due to being demotivated after the fame of the RWC. They think their careers have peaked and are happy to retire on a high. It all sounds very unusual. Full strength Japan could have competed against that Welsh selection. But this Japan squad will lose by 21-23.

Once again Howler has a howler with his selection, he is far to cautious Giles should be starting and so should Sam Davies lets have a coach with some bloody vision, once Gats goes Dai Young should be given the job and with luck he may appoint an attack coach who knows what attack means

Latest posts