• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2017 EOYT] France vs. New Zealand (11/11/2017)

It's on sky and virign but it's £10 a month just for that one channel. Looks like I'll be streaming it.

Just had a look and it seems that they have all the Italy and France games this Autumn.

Lots of new names to me in the French team;

France: 15 Nans Ducuing, 14 Teddy Thomas, 13 Geoffrey Doumayrou, 12 Mathieu Bastareaud, 11 Yoann Huget, 10 Anthony Belleau, 9 Antoine Dupont, 8 Louis Picamoles, 7 Kevin Gourdon, 6 Judicael Cancoriet, 5 Paul Gabrillagues, 4 Sebastien Vahaamahina, 3 Rabah Slimani, 2 Guilhem Guirado (c), 1 Jefferson Poirot

Replacements: 16 Clement Maynadier, 17 Raphael Chaume, 18 Daniel Kotze, 19 Paul Jedrasiak, 20 Anthony Jelonch, 21 Baptiste Serin, 22 Francois Trinh-Duc, 23 Damian Penaud

Glad to see them try someone new and young at 10. Nothing to lose by experimenting there. But having the lump of meat Basteraud outside him will destroy any hint of attacking flow. The most infuriating player in international rugby for me, ahead of Jamie Roberts. Pass. The. Ball!

French side is shocking. Having to rely on blokes like Bastaraud and Huget for any experience at all in the backs.
I agree. Bastareaud's recall is shocking. Noves never been his fan. He's a Laporte pick from his days at Toulon.

Noves should never have got involved with the union. He's beating a dead horse.

Crash and burn all the way to Japan. Pool exit. Game over for FFR.

Last edited:
My body just naturally woke up for this... After 5 hours sleep... Ah well. Guess ill watch it.

Game over after 20mins. :(

I think we are seeing this weekend confirmation that there are coaches who had success in the past with one set of tactics but can adjust to take advantage of rule changes of the past 5-10 years for more open play (Schmidt, Cheika, Hansen, Jones).

But that there are coaches who may have had success in the past with more forward, breakdown and territory orientated play that cannot adjust to the new rules (Noves, Coetzee and to some extent Gatland).

And it makes a freaking huge difference to a sides performance.

Rl instincts dying hard.

Really not sure about that. If he didn't slap it away, he would have caught it.

SBW again! It's like the Lions tour all over...

The man does love an occasional brainfart! I think in theory Huget could have caught that and theoretically grounded it (unlikely as that may seem), so I can see why it was a penalty try.

France have done better than I expected and made this some kind of contest.

That is probably the worst decision ive seen over penalty try in a decade.

Correct call.

Treat the situation as if the player who committed the infringement was never there. In that case the French player only had to catch the ball and a try would have been scored. Ergo, try.

What an absolutely dire game.

The protocol for a penalty try is clear. When the play surrounding the probable scoring of a penalty try is being considered by the officials, the player who commits the act of foul play is removed from the scenario completely. The officials do not try to second guess what else that player might have done... he is removed completely, i.e. considered to be not even there. That leaves only the French player (Huget?) in the in-goal, and all he had to do was to catch the ball and put it on the ground.

This was a stone cold correct penalty try call all day long.

The stupid thing about this penalty try is that it was completely unnecessary. All SBW had to do is make an attempt to catch the ball... Even if he failed and the ball bounced off his hands over the dead ball line, it would have been a dropout 22. There is even the possibility that Huget might have taken him out while he was still in the air, and there would then be a penalty to NZ on the 22m, and Huget ends up in the bin instead.

Dumb SBW... very dumb!

Again, horrible game from France, things are not really improving for us, Thanks to SBW who made us look shinier than we were in reality.

Important changes are needed in the French top 14, the slowness fo the top 14 games and the love for scrums is destroying the french rugby at international level, our forwards were appalling (ruck, carrying the ball...) and roasted with 20 minutes to go.

Only positive on this match is Dupont our scrum half but I fear that same thing will happen like other good young french players, playing in a non competitive championship will sadly bury his chances to become a great player.

France has still not entered in the professional rugby era, it is already 10 years that our rugby is going down the toilets and it will continue to sink if the LNR and the FFR are not pulling up their fat arses from their comfy sofas.

Sad....

Last edited:
Still watching the game, but I gotta admit I did not know that it was against the rules in Union to bad the ball back in the in goal... obviously SBW's League background hurting him there.

All the same, don't get why that's a penalty... has the same effects is just diving on the ball.

The stupid thing about this penalty try is that it was completely unnecessary. All SBW had to do is make an attempt to catch the ball... Even if he failed and the ball bounced off his hands over the dead ball line, it would have been a dropout 22. There is even the possibility that Huget might have taken him out while he was still in the air, and there would then be a penalty to NZ on the 22m, and Huget ends up in the bin instead.

Dumb SBW... very dumb!

Like I wrote above, to be fair to the guy he spent 10 years developing an instinct to bat the ball back in the in goal when attacking kicks have you in danger and TBH I don't think I've ever seen it happen before in Rugby, so it may just have been something that's never come up.

Strikes me as a bit of a weird rule TBH - you're not allowed to intentionally knock on, but you're allowed to bat the ball back pretty well anywhere else on the pitch, so he probably assumed he was within his rights.

Strikes me as a bit of a weird rule TBH - you're not allowed to intentionally knock on, but you're allowed to bat the ball back pretty well anywhere else on the pitch, so he probably assumed he was within his rights.

Its one of the Laws of the game... e.g, why is passing the ball forward an infringement? Because it is; its part of the way the game is played.

Its not the first time I have seen it in pro rugby...

And for this one, ignore the ignorant Irish commentators (who clearly don't know the Law). A try does not need to be a certain or definitive result but for foul play for a penalty try to be awarded. It only has to be probable.

- Fast forward to 1:21. This stupid Xenoforo software doesn't understand time coded You Tube URL's

Latest posts