• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2017 EOYT] Ireland vs. South Africa (11/11/2017)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
Ireland.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
South%20Africa.png

Venue: Aviva Stadium, Dublin
Time: 19:30 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Should run out a few points to the good in this one if we want to back up the claim we're a top three side, but it depends on whether SA put in a performance like the one where they got hammered by over 58 points v NZ or the one where they should have beaten NZ. Form aside they still have some physical freaks in the pack who can ruin our day.
EDIT: RIP Alpha Bro. A victim of TRF's new one-day ban for cursing policy.

Last edited:
We need to win most of our games on this tour to prove that we are actually improving as AC has time to implement his ideas along with his assistants. Ireland will probably be the most difficult of all the teams we face on this tour.
I cant see us being beaten by the French (who we destroyed earlier in the year), Wales or Italy. And even though i also did not expect us to lose against Italy last year you kind of hope that was an anomaly.
We don't have aspirations to just be a top 6 or top 5 team. So it a non negotiable that the expectations are to beat every team on this tour as Wales and Ireland are competing with us for rankings spots (largely symbolic now after WC draw) . We simply need to beat our direct rivals otherwise we are getting nowhere. Anything more than one loss would be a complete failure.

We need to win most of our games on this tour to prove that we are actually improving as AC has time to implement his ideas along with his assistants. Ireland will probably be the most difficult of all the teams we face on this tour.
I cant see us being beaten by the French (who we destroyed earlier in the year), Wales or Italy. And even though i also did not expect us to lose against Italy last year you kind of hope that was an anomaly.
We don't have aspirations to just be a top 6 or top 5 team. So it a non negotiable that the expectations are to beat every team on this tour as Wales and Ireland are competing with us for rankings spots (largely symbolic now after WC draw) . We simply need to beat our direct rivals otherwise we are getting nowhere. Anything more than one loss would be a complete failure.

I think the saying as always for the EOYT is that the first test is the most important one. And I think more so than ever is this one against Ireland.

Yes we have improved from 2016. But this EOYT could still make or break us for the season. So far our tally is 5 wins, 2 losses, 2 draws. So we could still end up with more losses than wins for the season, if it goes horribly wrong.

But I think we are much better than what we were this time last year. Especially in our forwards. Our pack is becoming a dominant factor again, and if we can continue where we left off, we could overpower the Irish this weekend.

But the thing I'm most interested in is whether or not Handre Pollard would start, and if Warrick Gelant will make his Debut?

I think the saying as always for the EOYT is that the first test is the most important one. And I think more so than ever is this one against Ireland.

Yes we have improved from 2016. But this EOYT could still make or break us for the season. So far our tally is 5 wins, 2 losses, 2 draws. So we could still end up with more losses than wins for the season, if it goes horribly wrong.
Absolutely this, our season is still on a knife's edge and the first game is probably the most important for two reasons:
1) From a confidence perspective if we win our first and hardest game, I can see the next three wins falling into place. If we lose however suddenly our confidence is low and France/Wales suddenly feel they can take another bite out of us.
2) WC 2019. The QF could obviously go a few ways but the most likely is an Ireland vs SA QF, adding some spice to this game.

Anyway I haven't seen much from the Irish recently but I have the same concerns I've had for a while, basically being I think our back three will struggle with their tactical kicking game.
The way we win this is just to get out an out dominance up front rendering all our back line woes less relevant. If Ireland get parity or dominance I think they will win this handily.

I highly doubt we'll see much experimentation in the team, the only positions up for grabs for me will be 12 and perhaps 13 just because Sefontein is out and they may want to try a few things in the centres in terms of combinations. The line up I think we'll see almost exactly is:

1. Beast
2. Marx
3. Coenie
4. Eben
5. Mostert
6. Kolisi
7. PsdT
8. Flouw
9. Cronje
10. Jantjies
11. Skosan
12. Damian de Allende
13. Jesse Kriel
14. Leyds
15. Coetzee

16. Mbonambi
17. Kitsoff
18. Louw/Nyakane/Dreyer
19. Lood
20. Cassiem? Dan du Preez?
21. Paige
22. Pollard
23. Gelant? Venter? Am?

Pretty standard, any experiments will happen after this match I feel and probably only if we win.

I think Ireland should have enough to win this. I just hope they use some of their exciting new players and not the two Kearney brothers.

McGrath
Best (C)
Furlong
Toner
Henderson
O'Mahoney
O'Brien
Stander

Murray
Sexton
Earls
Aki
Henshaw
Stockdale
Kearney

Treacy
Healy
Ryan
Dillane/Ryan
Ruddock
Marmion/Mcgrath
Carbery
Conway

Roughly what I reckon we'll see Friday, Rob Kearney will almost definitely start. Very much hoping the rumours of Sexton's injury are false lest we want this contest to be decided before it begins.

Hmmm, Carbery to start if Sexton is out? I know he's a FB these days but this time last year he did have a star cameo as outhalf in a particular famous Irish victory... I really wouldn't like Keatley to start. No disrespect he is fine at PRO14 level but, eh...

Keatley has the advantage of relatively consistent form for a year, a familiarity with Mur and experience under Schmidt. Doesn't mean I want him to start, but it will certainly count in his favor.

Ireland definitely have the edge, much more established organised team. Really had our number last year, not to mention home advantage.

Not to say we can't win, but I'd say the odds are definitely not in our favour. Your backs are stronger and more organised, as I said before our only hope will be forward dominance, I can't see any other way in. Our tight 5 has been our only consistently strong point.

This will be the closest game of the round, will say Ireland by 4

1. Beast
2. Marx
3. Coenie
4. Eben
5. Mostert
6. Kolisi
7. PsdT
8. Flouw
9. Cronje
10. Jantjies
11. Skosan
12. Damian de Allende
13. Jesse Kriel
14. Leyds
15. Coetzee

16. Mbonambi
17. Kitsoff
18. Louw/Nyakane/Dreyer
19. Lood
20. Cassiem? Dan du Preez?
21. Paige
22. Pollard
23. Gelant? Venter? Am?

Pretty standard, any experiments will happen after this match I feel and probably only if we win.

PSTD at #7 was a punchline last autumn. Surely you keep him in the second row.

PSTD at #7 was a punchline last autumn. Surely you keep him in the second row.
We have a few injuries in the back row at the moment, the first 4 or so choices are injured. Playing PtsD is perhaps our best option available.

Edit: Early buzz is that Handre Pollard will start at 10 (playing 10 in training). The better player in my opinion, he's played very little rugby this year however.

Last edited:

Latest posts