• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RaboDirect Pro 12 Semi Finals: Ospreys vs Munster - 11/05/2012

Ha I'd have Donnacha Ryan ahead of both O's locks and O'Mahony ahead of Bearman and Sherry over Hibbard also Jones on form is a far superior 15. Think it fair even in alot of spots .
I'd have Jones and O'Mahony, but otherwise, no thanks. I'm very underwhelmed, as others have said, by the Munster side. Honestly, if we don't beat them relatively comfortably all the good will I'd built up over the past few weeks shall be blown.

Happy enough with our team, but I'd rather see Webb start at 9. Fotuali'i's looked slightly more like it recently, but I still think we're better of playing with the pace Webb gives us. Perhaps Stowers would be a better man to come on and make an impact than Tom Smith, but hey ho, we should have the game won by the time the benches are emptied. Hopefully, anyway, as I don't want O'Gara on with 2 points in it...

Ha I'd have Donnacha Ryan ahead of both O's locks and O'Mahony ahead of Bearman and Sherry over Hibbard also Jones on form is a far superior 15. Think it fair even in alot of spots .

Ian Evans and Alun Wyn Jones are probable Lions tourists, and both are in great form, so I'd have both over Dannacha Ryan (who's not even playing at lock). I know Ryan is underrated, including by myself (Kidney's insistence of playing DOC ahead of him at international level doesn't help), but I'd still say the O's pairing are better.

Not sure about O'Mahony v Bearman. Bearman's struggled to get going with the Ospreys, but has picked it up in recent weeks, while O'Mahony is inexperienced. About even would be fair.

Serry v Hibbard, I'd choose Hibbard on recent form (although his throwing was a little amiss last week). Habbards impact around the field is immense though.

Agree with you about Felix Jones though. Not a fan of Fussell at fullback.

Well, he did say 3 or 4. And that is only 4...

The scrum will be fun. Personally I think the O's should have a slight edge, as while Botha and Jones are both top class tightheads, I'm inclined to think that James is a better player and Du Preez. Also, if i were given the choice between being able to call on Stephen Archer or Ryan Bevington, it's not a toughie.

The respective second rows are quite evenly matched as well. Evans and Wyn-Jones are both proven internationals class, and Evans is in top form this season. The Munster pairing also have their fair share of caps and you'd imagine that O'Driscoll will be giving it absolutely everything in what may be his last game. They're helped out by having Ryan in the back row, who is obviously a very good operator as well.

In the back row I'd fancy Tipuric to be too good for O'Donnell, Jones to be about a match for Ryan (although I think the Munster man might shade it) and it to be pretty even in the 8 slot. It's the greater talent of O'Mahony against the greater experience of Bearman, which always makes for a fascinating contest. I reckon this is the one area of the pack where Munster could really be on top, but an awful lot of that comes down to how well Tipuric is dealt with.

Both sets of half backs are a bit meh. Munster probably have the better scrum half, Ospreys the better out half. Munster do have the luxury of bringing ROG on at some point though. Ospreys probably have better centres (I've never been a fan of Mafi and Earls' best spot is on the wing) while Munster might shade it in the back three (I reckon they'd have two players in a combined team, but Shane is obviously a class above anyone else).

Could go either way really. Ospreys probably look the slightly stronger unit on paper, but one thing you learn about Munster over the years is that they just wont **** off and lose when they should. Should be a good game.

As I said above, I'd have the Ospreys locks ahead of the Munster boys every day of the week. I've never been the biggest fan of Mick O'Driscoll, solid player, but nothing special. DOC is a waning force. Evans and Jones are in fine form. In the backrow, I'd have Ryan Jones waay ahead of an out of position Donnacha Ryan. Jones has been in the form of his life for the Ospreys and Wales this season, and is unlucky to be behind a special player in Lydiate for country.

Gotta admit that I'm also not a fan of Conor Murray. He's a poor man's Mike Phillips. In Fotuali'i and Webb, the O's have two players who are game changers. I'd have personally started Webb, because I feel he's in better form, but I'm not upset to see Fotuali'i there.

I'd say that Beck is a class above the Munster centres. But Bishop isn't the player he was, so I'd possibly have Earls over him.

Out wide, Shane is the obvious standout of both teams. Zebo and Dirksen are two young talented players, I think it'd be hard to separate them, so either team could have two in a combined team.

I'm really getting the feeling Munster will win this now. When people start writing them off it's a dangerous time to play them.

Nah I'd rather a partnership of Ryan-O'Connell over Evans-Wyn Jones. Evans has been excellent this year but I haven't been overly impressed with Wyn Jones for a while. Don't really think I need to explain PO'C. Ryan's transformation has been incredible before and during the W.C. I thought he was pretty **** but since then he has completely upped his game is now an excellent 4. Great at clearing out, decent carrier, comes up with the odd steal at the lineout, always secure on his ball and a strong defender.

Nah I'd rather a partnership of Ryan-O'Connell over Evans-Wyn Jones. Evans has been excellent this year but I haven't been overly impressed with Wyn Jones for a while. Don't really think I need to explain PO'C. Ryan's transformation has been incredible before and during the W.C. I thought he was pretty **** but since then he has completely upped his game is now an excellent 4. Great at clearing out, decent carrier, comes up with the odd steal at the lineout, always secure on his ball and a strong defender.

Alun-Wyn Jones is a workhorse, and is quality, he does a lot of the unflashy stuff at rucks that goes unnoticed, and his penalty count is very low

also Munster don't have either O'Connell or Ryan at lock this match, I was comparing the starting lineups and both the Ospreys locks are better than the Munster ones

Alun-Wyn Jones is a workhorse, and is quality, he does a lot of the unflashy stuff at rucks that goes unnoticed, and his penalty count is very low

also Munster don't have either O'Connell or Ryan at lock this match, I was comparing the starting lineups and both the Ospreys locks are better than the Munster ones

I'm not only impressed by the flashy stuff if someone's good at the unflashy stuff it's easy enough to notice. He does it but not to as high a standard as Hines or Thorn though maybe your point about his penalty count is better than those two.

I wasn't replying to you but cyRil.

Well think Ryan has great chance of making Lions if he continues as he's going. But best players wont win it it'll be team units and spirit. People outside Munster won't know much about Sherry but he will be Irish 2 in next few years I feel. Players like Zebo and O'Donnell can be brilliant on their day or very bad and just need to find that level of consistency. Also our bench excites me

Of course you would.

There is so many different potential levels to that I don't know which to address. I will say yeah I'm biased but guess what so is everyone it's impossible not to have a certain level of bias. Wyn-Jones and Evans aren't exactly a standout partnership and while there is a number of secondrows I'd take over Ryan, O'Connell is one of the best in the world.

Last edited:
Feic started it I was gonna call him Jones then saw Feics post.:(

Last edited:
Nevermind that, who the **** is Ryan O'Connell?!!

I'll have Charlie discipline him later then.
That's one less candidate for TRF Staff Member of the year then.

Well he'd never have beaten you anyway. Not sucking your balls to try and gain a good nomination or anything either.

Well think Ryan has great chance of making Lions if he continues as he's going. But best players wont win it it'll be team units and spirit. People outside Munster won't know much about Sherry but he will be Irish 2 in next few years I feel. Players like Zebo and O'Donnell can be brilliant on their day or very bad and just need to find that level of consistency. Also our bench excites me

qm.gif
qm.gif

Latest posts