• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RaboDirect Pro 12 Semi Finals: Ospreys vs Munster - 11/05/2012

@profitius.
I know you won't agree with me on this but I think it's more a case that Munster fans have to temper their expectations a bit. The players they have now aren't at the same level as those who conquered Europe in in 2008.

This was the '08 Heineken Cup Final team:
Hurley, Howlett, Tipoki, Mafi, Dowling, O'Gara, O'Leary, Horan, Flannery, Hayes, O'Callaghan, O'Connell, Quinlan, Wallace, Leamy

This is their first choice starting XV now:
Jones, Howlett, Earls, Mafi, Zebo, O'Gara, Murray, Du Preez, Sherry, Botha, Ryan, O'Connell, Leamy, O'Mahony Coughlan

In how many positions are they better now than they were in '08? Fullback (although Jones is having a poor season), left wing, tighthead prop and that's it. The players who've been on both teams - Howlett, O'Gara, O'Connell, Leamy - are all well into their 30s. It must be said that Howlett and O'Connell are still playing at a very high level. Du Preez isn't an improvement over the '08 version of Horan, Sherry is way behind Flannery, Ryan is 08 O'Callaghan's equal. The backrow is way behind that Heineken Cup winning team as are the halfbacks and centre is a bit off too. The back three is the only area I see an improvement.

While last night's performance was disgraceful, Munster don't presently have the players to compete strongly for trophies. Rob Penney can't work miracles. Munster have some good up and coming players but they're too years away from winning trophies IMO.

On last night's performance alone I'd have Keatley at 10 over O'Gara. Looked much sharper and presented a threat every time he had the ball, whereas everytime that bottling ****** got it we all just ended up laughing.

@profitius.
I know you won't agree with me on this but I think it's more a case that Munster fans have to temper their expectations a bit. The players they have now aren't at the same level as those who conquered Europe in in 2008.

This was the '08 Heineken Cup Final team:
Hurley, Howlett, Tipoki, Mafi, Dowling, O'Gara, O'Leary, Horan, Flannery, Hayes, O'Callaghan, O'Connell, Quinlan, Wallace, Leamy

This is their first choice starting XV now:
Jones, Howlett, Earls, Mafi, Zebo, O'Gara, Murray, Du Preez, Sherry, Botha, Ryan, O'Connell, Leamy, O'Mahony Coughlan

In how many positions are they better now than they were in '08? Fullback (although Jones is having a poor season), left wing, tighthead prop and that's it. The players who've been on both teams - Howlett, O'Gara, O'Connell, Leamy - are all well into their 30s. It must be said that Howlett and O'Connell are still playing at a very high level. Du Preez isn't an improvement over the '08 version of Horan, Sherry is way behind Flannery, Ryan is 08 O'Callaghan's equal. The backrow is way behind that Heineken Cup winning team as are the halfbacks and centre is a bit off too. The back three is the only area I see an improvement.

While last night's performance was disgraceful, Munster don't presently have the players to compete strongly for trophies. Rob Penney can't work miracles. Munster have some good up and coming players but they're too years away from winning trophies IMO.
While I can agree with this we have to remember alot of guys were in their prime that year where now we have guys either dragging it out a year or 2 and some not yet fully developed (Sheery, POM, Zebo and few) so it different stages but I think Penney can work miracle here :D

Thought it was best performance from an Osprey team that I have seen, with Ryan Jones doing a remarkable impression of Mccaw, and that Munster were out thought and too easily panicked. I also though Rolland was unbelievable and why he is still allowed to ref matches at this, or any other level, is beyond me. I still think Munster have some good ones coming through and will be there or thereabouts for seasons to come!

I wonder how a spray-tanned side would fair against this Ospreys team.
Is that still in effect?

Munster have some good up and coming players but they're too years away from winning trophies IMO.

Even then, some of them are wildly over-rated.

Zebo has done little convince me he is anything other than a quick runner.

Jones is always injured - the best player in the world is no use to any team in the treatment room.

How did I know this thread was going to turn into 'Munster are crap' rather than 'The Ospreys are brilliant'...?

How many finals the Turks make this season? ...":cool:"

Cause we was robbed ya see:cool:

And how many knock out stages the 'sprays been in this season:cool:

Last edited:
Turkish jealousy is like water off an Ospreys back!!

Read this and weep!

McGahan admitted the Welsh outfit's precision and ruthlessness had impressed him.
"I thought the Ospreys were tremendous," McGahan told walesonline.
"They turned the ball over from us, their set-piece was exemplary and their attack superb.
"Without a doubt it was the best performance I have seen from the Ospreys in my time in Europe.
"It was complete, right across the paddock. It was a very polished display from a very good side."

Latest posts