• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ranfurly Shield 2010

Southland and Counties have named their teams for this weekends shield clash:

Southland: 15 Robbie Robinson, 14 Glen Horton, 13 Kendrick Lynn, 12 Matt Saunders, 11 James Paterson, 10 James Wilson, 9 Scott Cowan, 8 Kane Thompson, 7 Tim Boys, 6 John Hardie, 5 Alex Ryan, 4 Josh Bekhuis, 3 Chris King, 2 Jason Rutledge, 1 Jamie Mackintosh (captain).
Replacements: 16 Bayden Mitchell, 17 Nic Barrett, 18 Dion Bates, 19 Elliot Dixon, 20 Sonny Rangitohereri, 21 Mark Wells, 22 Tony Koonwaiyou.

Counties-Manukau: 15 Tim Nanai-Williams, 14 Ahsee Tuala, 13 Siale Piutau, 12 Tana Umaga, 11 Sherwin Stowers, 10 Baden Kerr, 9 August Pulu, 8 Viliami Fihaki, 7 Pepa Kolomatangi, 6 Fritz Lee, 5 Jamie Chipman (captain), 4 Taiasina Tuifua, 3 Jono Owen, 2 Grant Henson, 1 Simon Lemalu.
Replacements: 16 Mark Price, 17 Jeremiah Fatialofa, 18 Ronald Raaymakers, 19 Mark Selwyn, 20 Samisoni Fisilau, 21 Reynold Lee-Lo, 22 David Raikuna.

One change in the Counties starting lineup, with some guy called Tana Umuga back. Southland have made a few changes - James Paterson has recovered from injury and comes onto the wing for Mark Wells (who drops to the bench). In the forwards Joe Tuineau has been unable to train all week with a back strain, and has hence been replaced by young Alex Ryan. Kane Thomson comes into number 8, replacing the impressive Elliot Dixon (who is having his workload managed carefully, given he's just turned 21).

At the moment the weather forecast is looking pretty good - light rain is forecast in the morning, though this is supposed clear by game-time (5.35pm in the afternoon).

I predicting a relatively close game - Southland to win by 10 points.

While i'd really like to see Southland hold the sheild all season i think counties is going to be a big challenge.
They've started the season very impressively and look to be one of the teams to beat this year.
I think counties may take this by 8-12 points.

Yeah will be a very good game to watch. I saw their first game in the ITM cup and their attack is really aggressive.

C'mon COUNTESSE!!! hopefully the weather there isn't as crap as up here

counties defense has also been pretty good as well as their attack, its just that they give away a lot of penalties, which might be costly in a wet weather game

Last edited:
no James Wilson, this is a big loss for Southland, surprised they didn't start Koonwaiyou

Another successful defense for Southland - winning 13-9. Despite it being another low scoring game it was really enjoyable to watch (especially as Southland Won!).

I missed the game aswell, where could one watch highlights of the game?
Was it bad weather? My experience of playing down in Invercargill when the weather is bad is pretty awful! It gets so bad that games can just be ruined! Like the game I played against central pirates!
Hopefully we put a more dominating performance in as we have even bigger games later in the season against Auckland, Canterbury and Wellington!

I missed the game aswell, where could one watch highlights of the game?
Was it bad weather? My experience of playing down in Invercargill when the weather is bad is pretty awful! It gets so bad that games can just be ruined! Like the game I played against central pirates!
Hopefully we put a more dominating performance in as we have even bigger games later in the season against Auckland, Canterbury and Wellington!

I don't think the weather was too bad for Invercargill. Someone will upload highlights onto youtube if you look in about 24 hours.

Great to see Southland putting up a few successful defenses ... it's great to see the provincial sides doing so well :)

Who are the remaining teams assuming Southland hold it all season ... do the Tasman Makos have a challenge? ... I know that Marlborough have only held it once (in 1973 I think), and my old stomping ground of Nelson, have never held it, so it would be great if we did get a challenge.

I see the Makos have just toppled the mighty Hawkes Bay.

Good on ya southland stags ... but go the Mighty Makos :p

3 Chalenges left for Southland

23 Sep
Southland v Auckland (RS)

then
9 Oct
Southland v Canterbury(RS)

23rd Oct
Southland v Wellington(RS)

so a few away games for a while then 3 big home games. Hopefully Auckland get shut out and canterbury can take it back :p

What will happen if Auckland takes it I hear you ask? (or not as i am going deaf :()
1 Oct
Auckland vs Hawkes Bay

17 Oct
Auckland vs Otago

24th Oct
Auckland vs Tasman

If Canterbury takes it then... Counties is the only challenge

and if Wellington takes it then it will be in their cupboard for the off season.

3 Chalenges left for Southland

23 Sep
Southland v Auckland (RS)

then
9 Oct
Southland v Canterbury(RS)

23rd Oct
Southland v Wellington(RS)

so a few away games for a while then 3 big home games. Hopefully Auckland get shut out and canterbury can take it back :p

What will happen if Auckland takes it I hear you ask? (or not as i am going deaf :()
1 Oct
Auckland vs Hawkes Bay

17 Oct
Auckland vs Otago

24th Oct
Auckland vs Tasman

If Canterbury takes it then... Counties is the only challenge

and if Wellington takes it then it will be in their cupboard for the off season.

Thanks Woosaah, I don't think I can bring myself to cheer for Auckland, even though it would give Tasman (potentionally) a challenge ;)

Southland's next defense of the Ranfurly Shield is tomorrow (Friday) night at 7.35pm (NZT) versus North Harbour.
Teams are as follows:

North Harbour
1. Michael Reid (C) 2. James Parsons 3. Ben Afeaki 4. James King 5. Filo Paulo 6. Matt Luamanu 7. Malakai Ravulo 8. Richard Mayhew 9. Chris Smylie 10. Michael Harris 11. Nafi Tuitavake 12. Luke McAlister 13. Jack Tarrant 14. Alipate Fatafehi 15. Jack McPhee
Reserves: 16. Mike Mayhew 17. James Afoa 18. William Whetton 19. Scott Uren 20. Nalu Tuigamala 21. Ben Botica 22. Brendon Watt

The Mighty Southland Stags
1.Jamie Mackintosh (C) 2. Jason Rutledge 3. Chris King 4. John Bekhuis 5. Joe Tuineau 6. John Hardie 7. Tim Boys 8. Kane Thompson 9. Scott Cowan 10. Robbie Robinson 11. James Paterson 12. Matt Saunders 13. Kenny Lynn (VC) 14. Tony Koonwaiyou 15. Glen Horton
Reserves: 16. Brayden Mitchell 17. Micheal Peterson 18. Alex Ryan 19. Dion Bates 20. Sonny Rangitoheriri 21. Seminar Manu 22. Mark Wells

Southland will start as favourites, though this North Harbour team is capable of causing as upset, as they did 4 years ago when they took the Shield off Canterbury. Southland had their first loss of the season last week against an impressive Northland side, but they should perform better at home. They will look to dominate up front, however the absence of young Elliot Dixon at number 8 through injury is a big loss, as he is their best ball-carrier. I'm expecting Southland to dominate at the tackle area too, as they have two genuine openside flankers (Hardie and Boys) while Harbour have Ravulo at 7 (who is more suited to 6) and Luamanu at 6 (whose a powerful ball runner, but offers little at ruck time).

The North Harbour side has been inconsistent this year, but do look capable at times when they click. MacAlister will be looking to have a strong game in the midfield alongside Harris at 10. I wouldn't be surprised if Southland look to exploit Harbour out wide, as Fatafehi is notoriously weak defensively (and at catching the high-ball), while McPhee is generally not that strong defensively either.

I'm picking Southland to win the game relatively comfortably, by 10-15 points.

Well Southland won convincingly 47-21. Next Challenge is in just under two weeks time versus Auckland.

Not sure how much interest there is in this game, but on Thursday night (NZT) Southland have their 6th Ranfurly Shield defense of the year, against Auckland. The two teams have been named as follows: (http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...t-Stags-holding-on-to-shield-against-Auckland)

Southland:
Glen Horton, Mark Wells, Tony Koonwaiyou, Matt Saunders, James Paterson, Robbie Robinson, Scott Cowan, Kane Thompson, Tim Boys, John Hardie, Joe Tuineau, Josh Bekhuis, Chris King, Jason Rutledge, Jamie Mackintosh (captain). Reserves: Brayden Mitchell, Nick Barrett, Alex Ryan, Dion Bates, Sony Rangitoheriri, Seminar Manu, Pehi Te Whare.
Auckland:
Brent Ward, Dave Thomas, Benson Stanley, Jamie Helleur, Chay Raui, Matt Berquist, Toby Morland, Peter Saili, Daniel Braid, Onosa'i Auva'a, Andrew Van der Heijden, Kurtis Haiu, Charlie Faumuina, Tom McCartney, John Afoa . Reserves: Ash Dixon, Angus Ta'avao, Liaki Moli, Sean Polwart, Brenton Helleur, Gareth Anscombe, Winston Stanley.

I'm expecting it to be a close game - Southland is currently leading the competition, with Auckland in second place. The weather in Invercargill has been pretty bad over the last few days - the roof of Southland's indoor sports venue collapsed under the weight of snow several days ago, while two days ago about 100 volunteers manually shoveled six inches of snow off Rugby Park Stadium. Apparently there has been little snow over the last day or two, but snow is again scheduled for tomorrows match.

The Southland team has one major change, with the omission of centre Kenny Lynn who has undergone groin surgery and is out for the year - he is a major loss, as he's been by far their best attacking player all year long. Tony Koonwaiyou moves into centre, with Mark Wells taking his spot on the wing. The Auckland team will welcome back All Blacks Benson Stanley and John Afoa into their starting lineup, as well as Onosa'i Auva'a and Chay Raui who have recovered from injury.

I'm expecting that Southland will attempt to get forward dominance and control the game, as the weather is certainly not going to favour expansive rugby. Southland has, however, struggled at scrum time over the last few weeks, and may struggle again against the big Auckland front row. Overall I'm expecting Southland to win a very close game, by about 5 points.

I'm expecting my Aucks to come back to the big smoke carrying the Shield

I'm expecting my Aucks to come back to the big smoke carrying the Shield

Haha, they'd better pack some snow shovels then :D ... in the unlikely event that that occurs, i'm picking that the "Mighty Makos" will bring the log of wood back from the "big smoke" to the "Mainland" where it belongs :p

even though i haven't liked watching Auckland all year i think they'll win too :D i'm from auckland so i've always supported them but this year i've found them boring to watch and would rather watch Northland or Counties

i can see Southland winning with penalty kicks if auckland give away a lot of penalties and if the weather makes it hard for aucklands attack, also the fact Southland have had the best defence and have won so many close games already because of it. But i can also see Aucklands big forwards grinding it out to a win too and Auckland also have had good defence. they were awful against Canterbury and lost to Waikato in the last minutes so idk if they're good under pressure, but the fact its southland and auckland have such a good ranfurly shield record i think they'll win.

btw can anyone remember the last time Auckland didn't manage to win the Shield off another team? last time i can remember was back in 2001 against Canterbury, so thats a long time ago.

even though i haven't liked watching Auckland all year i think they'll win too :D i'm from auckland so i've always supported them but this year i've found them boring to watch and would rather watch Northland or Counties

i can see Southland winning with penalty kicks if auckland give away a lot of penalties and if the weather makes it hard for aucklands attack, also the fact Southland have had the best defence and have won so many close games already because of it. But i can also see Aucklands big forwards grinding it out to a win too and Auckland also have had good defence. they were awful against Canterbury and lost to Waikato in the last minutes so idk if they're good under pressure, but the fact its southland and auckland have such a good ranfurly shield record i think they'll win.

btw can anyone remember the last time Auckland didn't manage to win the Shield off another team? last time i can remember was back in 2001 against Canterbury, so thats a long time ago.

They won it in September 2007 off Canterbury and defended it for 5 games before losing it to Wellington

Latest posts