• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ranfurly Shield 2010

even though i haven't liked watching Auckland all year i think they'll win too :D i'm from auckland so i've always supported them but this year i've found them boring to watch and would rather watch Northland or Counties

i can see Southland winning with penalty kicks if auckland give away a lot of penalties and if the weather makes it hard for aucklands attack, also the fact Southland have had the best defence and have won so many close games already because of it. But i can also see Aucklands big forwards grinding it out to a win too and Auckland also have had good defence. they were awful against Canterbury and lost to Waikato in the last minutes so idk if they're good under pressure, but the fact its southland and auckland have such a good ranfurly shield record i think they'll win.

btw can anyone remember the last time Auckland didn't manage to win the Shield off another team? last time i can remember was back in 2001 against Canterbury, so thats a long time ago.

The thing is Muzzy- Auckland have played every single game this year in atrocious conditions. They haven't had an opportunity to play expansive rugby becuase it has been hosing down, or blowing a gale, or both every time kick off rolls around.
Thats why they haven't been as entertaining as the Taniwha or the Steelers, because the A-Team has had to play tight, forward dominated rugby in the wind and rain. Everytime they tried to move the ball against Manawatu last week there was the inevitable fumble it seemed.

The thing is Muzzy- Auckland have played every single game this year in atrocious conditions. They haven't had an opportunity to play expansive rugby becuase it has been hosing down, or blowing a gale, or both every time kick off rolls around.
Thats why they haven't been as entertaining as the Taniwha or the Steelers, because the A-Team has had to play tight, forward dominated rugby in the wind and rain. Everytime they tried to move the ball against Manawatu last week there was the inevitable fumble it seemed.

I think thats where Burquist has been really vital this year. His ability to play good footy in those conditions has brung us home each week. Fingers crossed we take it off them..I'm sick of southland keeping that damn shield and playing the most boring footy on the planet

I think thats where Burquist has been really vital this year. His ability to play good footy in those conditions has brung us home each week. Fingers crossed we take it off them..I'm sick of southland keeping that damn shield and playing the most boring footy on the planet

Ironic, as Southland have scored almost exactly the same number of points in the season as Auckland (186-187), while Southland have scored more tries than Auckland (20-18). I haven't found Southland's rugby this year at all boring, as they have generally played to the conditions - in wet conditions they have played conservatively, but in dry conditions they have taken teams apart with some great backline play (e.g the 47-21 trouncing of North Harbour).

Another successful defense by the Mighty Southland Stags, winning a close game 9-6. A really enjoyable game despite the low scoreline, as it was played at a really high intensity. Another incredible defensive effort from Southland, with John Hardie and Jason Rutledge were again to the fore in the forwards, while Tony Koonwaiyou was probably the standout back for Southland.

Bring on Canterbury!

DAMMIT!

That was a good game though - especially considering the low scoreline. really enjoyed it.
Auckland were a bit unlucky as they probably looked the most threatening on attack, and aside from soem resolute Southland defence (esp Boys, Rutledge and Koonwaiyou) and some handling errors, they shoudl have won this game.

I have to say- Auckland were dealt with harshly by the ref. What was the scrum penalty all about??
he calls engage, they engage after he calls engage then he says Auckland went too early?? Even on the replay you can clearly hear him call engage before the front row moves. What a douche. He definitely wanted Southland to win.

Another successful defense by the Mighty Southland Stags, winning a close game 9-6. A really enjoyable game despite the low scoreline, as it was played at a really high intensity. Another incredible defensive effort from Southland, with John Hardie and Jason Rutledge were again to the fore in the forwards, while Tony Koonwaiyou was probably the standout back for Southland.

Bring on Canterbury!

WOW! just saw the game, and have to agree with your comments ... how good a season is Rutledge having - he's got to be the form Hooker in the comp, and deserves an AB jersey IMO. :D

Koonwaiyou, had a couple of crucial moments with a big hit for a crucial turn over, and that run that KO Braid when he tried to tackle him.

I didn't realise that it was Southland's first win over Auckland for 39 years

WOW! just saw the game, and have to agree with your comments ... how good a season is Rutledge having - he's got to be the form Hooker in the comp, and deserves an AB jersey IMO. :D

Koonwaiyou, had a couple of crucial moments with a big hit for a crucial turn over, and that run that KO Braid when he tried to tackle him.

I didn't realise that it was Southland's first win over Auckland for 39 years

Yeah Rutledge has been outstanding all season, he's in the form of his life. I would love to see him get an AB's jersey, however I'm sure the AB selectors will have reservations about his size. Two years ago he was only rated as the third best hooker in Southland - his improvement over the last couple of years has been quite amazing!

Damn auckland really did deserve better since they made most of the attack. but to me it seems auckland actually kept the ball too much in the forwards and they were getting no reward for it, so by the time the 60 min mark came the auckland forwards were completely tired, huffing and puffing because they had been on attack for 60 mins and got nothing for it. but all year i've found aucklands attack boring and it hasn't all been in bad conditions, they have scored a few tries but i just haven't found the rugby that entertaining and they've shown 3 times already this year they can't win the big games, they lost the tight game against waikato, they got their ass kicked by canterbury and now they've lost another tight came against southland. even though auckland are high up on the table i don't rate them to win this year at all. ironically they have no flair in attack at all which is why they couldn't do anything against southland, sure their forwards were dominating and had all the possession but the attack in the backs was crap.

They won it in September 2007 off Canterbury and defended it for 5 games before losing it to Wellington

i meant when was the last time they didn't WIN the shield OFF another team who had the shield

I hope they go to the finals the Southland Stags. Good signs for the Highlanders next year.

Another huge Ranfurly Shield defense for Southland on Saturday, against Canterbury. Both teams have been named as follows:

THE MIGHTY SOUTHLAND STAGS: Glen Horton, Mark Wells, Matt Saunders, James Wilson, Tony Koonwaiyou, Robbie Robinson, Jimmy Cowan, Kane Thompson, Tim Boys, John Hardie, Joe Tuineau, Josh Bekhuis, Chris King, Jason Rutledge, Jamie Mackintosh (captain). Reserves; David Hall, Nic Barrett, Alex Ryan, Hua Tamariki, Scott Cowan, Seminar Manu, Pehi Te Whare.

CANTERBURY: Sean Maitland, Tu Umaga-Marshall, Robbie Fruean, Sonny Bill Williams, Telusa Veainu, Colin Slade, Andy Ellis (captain), Nasi Manu, Matt Todd, Sam Whitelock, Isaac Ross, Luke Romano, Peter Borlase, Steve Fualau, Wyatt Crockett. Reserves; Paul Ngauamo, Andrew Olorenshaw, Ash Parker, Brendon O'Connor, Willi Heinz, Stephen Brett, Ryan Crotty.

Jimmy Cowan is back starting for Southland, dropping his brother down to the bench. With James Pateson out injured, there has been a rearrangement to the Southland backline - James Wilson returns from injury and slots into 12, Saunders moves from 12 to 13, and Koonwaiyou moves from 13 to the left wing. The starting forward pack remains the same, but it's great to see David Hall included on the bench, as he's been out injured for almost a year. Though he is the backup hooker, it wouldn't surprise me to see him come on and play at number 8 with 20 mins to go.

A few changes for Canterbury - Corey Flynn was expected to be back this week to play against his old province, but is injured again (or perhaps just didn't want to be shown up by Jason Rutledge :) ). Peter Borlase is back from injury, and will strengthen the scrum. With George Whitelock injured, Matt Todd moves to his preferred role of openside flanker, with Sam Whitelock included on the blindside flank. I don't think I've seen Sam Whitelock playing on the flank, however I'm sure he will do the a good job. With the two Canterbury locks (Ross and Romano) spending most of the game standing in the backline, having a tighter player in the loose forwards may indeed be an advantage. SBW and Fruean have been reunited in the midfield, with Crotty dropping back to the bench.

As much as I want Southland to win, I'm very worried about this game. I think playing James Wilson at 12 is a mistake - while he's a good attacking player his defense is poor, and I'd expect SBW and Fruean to try and exploit this. It should be a good battle up front, with Southland having an advantage in the tight-forwards. It looks pretty even in the loose-forwards, though Southland may try to exploit the fact they have two genuine fetchers (Boys and Hardie), while Canterbury only have 1 (Todd, though O'Conner is on the bench).

I'm picking Southland to win by 5 - though I fear that pick may be more with my heart than my head....

I'm picking Southland to lose this, by even as much as 12 pts sadly. Canterbury are starting to look more and more dangerous and Southland are suffering from having spent too much time on defence this season.

I'm picking Southland to lose this, by even as much as 12 pts sadly. Canterbury are starting to look more and more dangerous and Southland are suffering from having spent too much time on defence this season.

Unfortunately, I think you might be right. I think Southland's best chance will be if the weather is poor again - there are heavy showers forecast tomorrow, but they are meant to clear by the evening......hopefully (for Southland's sake) the showers hang around for a bit longer :)

Unfortunately, I think you might be right. I think Southland's best chance will be if the weather is poor again - there are heavy showers forecast tomorrow, but they are meant to clear by the evening......hopefully (for Southland's sake) the showers hang around for a bit longer :)

Southlands only chance if the weather is poor. They would get slaughtered in a free flowing game, especially with Kenny Lynn out.

Southlands only chance if the weather is poor. They would get slaughtered in a free flowing game, especially with Kenny Lynn out.

"Slaughtered" is just hyperbole. They'd likely lose, but by about 12-15 pts. A lot of sides are playing tight against Southland too, as they know Southland can counter-attack if played openly against. Southland just don't get the chance to play open in some of their games. It was only Taranaki who they capitulated against.

"Slaughtered" is just hyperbole. They'd likely lose, but by about 12-15 pts. A lot of sides are playing tight against Southland too, as they know Southland can counter-attack if played openly against. Southland just don't get the chance to play open in some of their games. It was only Taranaki who they capitulated against.

Of course its hyperbole, its pre-match banter here :D
I know Southland could counter attack very well before, but i feel that has been blunted somewhat by the loss of Kenny Lynn, he was really the go to guy in the backline. Its no coincidence to me that the Taranaki loss coincided with Lynns departure.

Latest posts