• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RBS 6 Nations - Ireland vs Scotland - 10/03/2012, 17:00

Agree 100% king. Ruddock had glorious chance to leave for Munster and well I feel he has turned his chance on a serious chance to prove how good he is. At Leinster he will get games but will never be a starter as Heaslip McLaughlin and Sean O'Brien are all young and well longer he stays in solidarity hoping to play when 1 is injured the more in decline he will go. Reminds me of Stephen Keogh. Left for Leinster way too late and simply lost his way waiting to long for chance at Munster. Had serious potential but it wasted away

Now SOB's out, will Kidney play an out and out 7?

O'Mahony to start and Jennings on bench. O'Mahony isn't a natural 7 but a lot more suited than O'Brien as put and out 7.

I agree with all of this.

People bang on about Ruddock and Dominic Ryan being big hopes for the future for Ireland but if I'm being honest i can't see either of them ever becoming regular starters at international level. They're both pretty good players but they're carbon copies of the likes of Ferris and O'Brien. Only those lads were far better when they were 22. Ryan and Ruddock played in the backrow for Ireland U20s with O'Mahoney. I never heard a thing about him last year from pundits or rugby writers but he's streaks ahead of the 2 of them now. The lads would seriously wanna get their acts together. They're not gonna have youth as an excuse for much longer.

If Ryan and Ruddock were really carbon copies of those two, they'd have no fears for their international futures. To me, they look like they will be lesser players.

edit: I would now like to rage at Henry being overlooked for Jennings and at Kidney's insistence at not picking Ulster players whenever possible. That is all. RAGE!

edit edit: Outrage cancelled if its true that Henry is nursing an achilles injury. God knows how though, he hasn't played any rugby in ages.

Last edited:
I agree with all of this.

People bang on about Ruddock and Dominic Ryan being big hopes for the future for Ireland but if I'm being honest i can't see either of them ever becoming regular starters at international level. They're both pretty good players but they're carbon copies of the likes of Ferris and O'Brien. Only those lads were far better when they were 22. Ryan and Ruddock played in the backrow for Ireland U20s with O'Mahoney. I never heard a thing about him last year from pundits or rugby writers but he's streaks ahead of the 2 of them now. The lads would seriously wanna get their acts together. They're not gonna have youth as an excuse for much longer.

I'd disagree with the line about Ferris and O'Brien being better than Ryan Ruddock when they were 22. O'Brien certainly didn't break into the Leinster team until he was about 23, so in that respect Ruddock is about 3 years ahead of him on the development curve. Ryan has had a few serious injuries this season, which haven't allowed him to build on last year's very good form so it's hard enough to judge where he is at. Ferris and O'Brien certainly weren't complete packages at 22 in any case.

As for O'Mahony being miles ahead of them, well I'm not sure on that one either. O'Mahony got his break this season, and I mean no disrespect to Munster here, because Munster's backrow depth is nowhere near that of Leinster's. The two lads have 4 seasoned internationals ahead of them, so getting a consistent run of games together is tough. That's not a problem that O'Mahony suffered to the same extent.

I'd disagree with the line about Ferris and O'Brien being better than Ryan Ruddock when they were 22. O'Brien certainly didn't break into the Leinster team until he was about 23, so in that respect Ruddock is about 3 years ahead of him on the development curve. Ryan has had a few serious injuries this season, which haven't allowed him to build on last year's very good form so it's hard enough to judge where he is at. Ferris and O'Brien certainly weren't complete packages at 22 in any case.

As for O'Mahony being miles ahead of them, well I'm not sure on that one either. O'Mahony got his break this season, and I mean no disrespect to Munster here, because Munster's backrow depth is nowhere near that of Leinster's. The two lads have 4 seasoned internationals ahead of them, so getting a consistent run of games together is tough. That's not a problem that O'Mahony suffered to the same extent.

Meh. McLoughlin is overrated, Jennings is underrated but doesn't seem to start. I'd rather have Coughlan starting for Munster instead of Heaslip. And Sean O'Brien is a poor man's Wallace.

Niall Ronan is way better than all the Leinster players. Leinster wouldn't have needed Elsom if they kept Niall Ronan (far better player).

Paddy Butler, DOC 2.0, and Tommy O'Donnell are all far superior to Ruddock, the Leinster hype machine has just been working full power of late.

I foresee a comfortable Scotland victory here actually. The lack of a real openside in my opinion will work against Ireland especially with a SH official who is less likely to tolerate the Irish lying on the wrong side once the ball hits the floor. Also I firmly beleive that the Scots are now finishing off those scoring opportunities they are creating. Ireland have been hit by injury and a quick turn around and Scotland are very very hungry to prove themselves... so on that note I'm going for a Scotland win not only on the scoreboard, but also in the try count. Fingers crossed that is;)

If Ryan and Ruddock were really carbon copies of those two, they'd have no fears for their international futures. To me, they look like they will be lesser players.

edit: I would now like to rage at Henry being overlooked for Jennings and at Kidney's insistence at not picking Ulster players whenever possible. That is all. RAGE!

edit edit: Outrage cancelled if its true that Henry is nursing an achilles injury. God knows how though, he hasn't played any rugby in ages.

Henry confirmed it on twitter: <s style="text-decoration: none; color: rgb(204, 204, 204); ">@</s>chrishenry678

"Unfortunately i tweaked my Achilles during a fitness session in Paris last wk'nd. A few days off my feet and i should b back good as new"

meh. Mcloughlin is overrated, jennings is underrated but doesn't seem to start. I'd rather have coughlan starting for munster instead of heaslip. And sean o'brien is a poor man's wallace.

Niall ronan is way better than all the leinster players. Leinster wouldn't have needed elsom if they kept niall ronan (far better player).

Paddy butler, doc 2.0, and tommy o'donnell are all far superior to ruddock, the leinster hype machine has just been working full power of late.

go on im liking this!

Any idea if Keith Earls will make a tackle or pass the ball this match?

Well Olyy he made 11 passes and plenty of tackles last week and played big part in Bowes try so no fear of Earls who really has been in fine form since Munster Saints game

Earls did better defensively because every time D'arcy or a backrow was double tackling with him. He really didn't do much in attack but neither did many others. I was happily surprised with im but I wouldn't say he's been in fine form.

That's against France but against Italy and the Saints he had superb games and he made a lot of 1v1 tackles too

That's against France but against Italy and the Saints he had superb games and he made a lot of 1v1 tackles too

Italy and Saints were both being destroyed up front (apart from Saints scrum) any back would look good. He's been ok but not fine form he's still lacking something.

I'm seeing a really close game here and I'm struggling to put Ireland as big favourites (though still slight favourites).

Pretty disappointed in the selection of Jackson on the bench, think Weir made a good case for himself against France. Also not too happy with De Luca, he had a good game against France also to be fair, but that aside I've not seen much else from him in a Scotland shirt. I'll be interested to see what impact Evans can make of the bench though, this guy can be a wee genius at times.

Very excited to see how out relatively new caps do in terms of Hogg, Denton and Rennie... These guys really look like they can cause some serious concerns to opposition. Hogg may stand out more than the other two but wow, Denton and Rennie have been fantastic.

On another note, I'm glad to see Lamont on the wing. Funny, I bet he'll be screaming for the ball but when he's centre he rarely give it out wide :OP

Italy and Saints were both being destroyed up front (apart from Saints scrum) any back would look good. He's been ok but not fine form he's still lacking something.

He's not done much wrong really. He still plays like a winger playing in the center though. As an outside center he needs to learn to straighten the line of attack more when he gets the ball.

I'd disagree as some of our backs were poor against Italy and our forwards had iffy games (all in first 60 mins) in Saints game they made errors but were very physical and our backs stood up. Earls has done excellent job considering it fighting a loosing battle as he always has burden of performances being compared to BOD. He hasn't been Perfect but signs are encouraging.

Very excited to see how out relatively new caps do in terms of Hogg, Denton and Rennie... These guys really look like they can cause some serious concerns to opposition. Hogg may stand out more than the other two but wow, Denton and Rennie have been fantastic.

Ross Rennie has been my player of the tournament so far - outstanding in every game.

I foresee a comfortable Scotland victory here actually. The lack of a real openside in my opinion will work against Ireland especially with a SH official who is less likely to tolerate the Irish lying on the wrong side once the ball hits the floor. Also I firmly beleive that the Scots are now finishing off those scoring opportunities they are creating. Ireland have been hit by injury and a quick turn around and Scotland are very very hungry to prove themselves... so on that note I'm going for a Scotland win not only on the scoreboard, but also in the try count. Fingers crossed that is;)

There's a good lad. Mindless optimism, that's the ticket!
Agree it's perfectly possible for Scotland to win. But only if they knock off the mistakes and for the love of God actually play for 80 minutes. Putting a beartrap in Tommy Bowe's path might be an idea and all.
Get the ball moving faster out of the ruck or they're going to be bouncing off a green wall all day. And someone get their a**e in gear to support the line breaks. Scotland can win.

Earls did better defensively because every time D'arcy or a backrow was double tackling with him. He really didn't do much in attack but neither did many others. I was happily surprised with im but I wouldn't say he's been in fine form.

I think the blitz defence really helps our centres out.

It allows our guys to make contact on their terms - rather than letting the opposition runners gain momentum and make the hit on the terms they want. A massive difference if your a smaller man.

How many times in the past have we seen BOD charge up and empty a big runner before he gets moving?

With Sexton at 10 - who is probably the best tackling fly half in the northern hemisphere, if not the world, it is crazy not to use the rush defence as a dog-leg back inside is not really a good option for the attackers. Hopefully the same tactics as against France will be used tomorrow - while the Scottish backs have improved with Laidlaw coming in - put them under heavy pressure and see if they can deal with it.