• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RBS 6 Nations - Italy vs England (11/02/2012, 16:00)

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
6Nations.jpg

Stadio Olimpico (11/02/2012 - 16:00)

Italy.png
Versus Challenge.png
England.png

[TABLE="class: grid, align: center"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Italy[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]England
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Andrea Masi[/TD]
[TD]15[/TD]
[TD]Ben Foden[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Giovanbattista Venditti[/TD]
[TD]14[/TD]
[TD]Chris Ashton[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tommaso Benvenutti[/TD]
[TD]13[/TD]
[TD]Brad Barritt[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Gonzalo Canale[/TD]
[TD]12[/TD]
[TD]Owen Farrell[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Luke McLean[/TD]
[TD]11[/TD]
[TD]David Strettle[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Kristopher Burton[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]Charlie Hodgson[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Edoardo Gori[/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]Ben Youngs[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Sergio Parisse (c)[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]Phil Dowson[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Robert Barbieri[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]Chris Robshaw (c)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Alessandro Zanni[/TD]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]Tom Croft[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Marco Bortolami[/TD]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD]Tom Palmer[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Quintin Geldenhuys[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]Mouritz Botha[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Martin Castrogiovanni[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]Dan Cole[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Leonardo Ghiraldini[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]Dylan Hartley[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Andrea Lo Cicero[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]Alex Corbisiero[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tommaso D'Apice[/TD]
[TD]16[/TD]
[TD]Rob Webber[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Lorenzo Cittadini[/TD]
[TD]17[/TD]
[TD]Matt Stevens[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Antonio Pavanello[/TD]
[TD]18[/TD]
[TD]Geoff Parling[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Mauro Bergamasco[/TD]
[TD]19[/TD]
[TD]Ben Morgan[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Fabio Semenzato[/TD]
[TD]20[/TD]
[TD]Lee Dickson[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tobias Botes[/TD]
[TD]21[/TD]
[TD]Jordan Turner-Hall[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Luca Morisi[/TD]
[TD]22[/TD]
[TD]Mike Brown[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Last edited:
Italy are 7/2 underdogs, and pay evens for a +9 handicap, I'd say they have more of a chance than that. I'd even go further and say this is a historic opportunity for Italy to beat England. They won't be the favourites, but can happen more than ever.

Italy are 7/2 underdogs, and pay evens for a +9 handicap, I'd say they have more of a chance than that. I'd even go further and say this is a historic opportunity for Italy to beat England. They won't be the favourites, but can happen more than ever.

Guess it all depends on who's playing fly-half for both teams.

If England can match the Italy pack, then they will have too much for them elsewhere. Italy still don't look like scoring a try to me despite their more adventurous style of play now.

Guess it all depends on who's playing fly-half for both teams.
and if the Italian flyhalf can kick dropgoals!

If England can keep their discipline and defence at the level of the Scottish game then we should keep the points down - whether we possess the go forward to get many of our own remains to be seen.

and if the Italian flyhalf can kick dropgoals!

If England can keep their discipline and defence at the level of the Scottish game then we should keep the points down - whether we possess the go forward to get many of our own remains to be seen.

Defence needs to be better. Too many missed first-up tackles. Presentation at rucks needs to be better (Mouritz Botha very culpable here). Those are the two key areas for me. Do that, maintain discipline, and something good will come.

I think England will play a lot better now, they got their first win and will have more confidence now. They also know that they can play better, so have a lot of upside to the game.

I really think Englands Defence can really be a dark horse in their game plan. I know its only 1 game but there is something there we not seen under MJ. For a start the silly penalties seem to be gone and if u have a solid defence you can always have a chance. I always felt if you have a solid defence you can win games as it frustrates opponents and they give penalties and you can punish them.

Playing Scotland isn't the best type of test for a defense.

England have their first win and a bit of confidence so there will be far less mistakes than in the Scotland game, they are also getting used to each others style of play. England's defence against Scotland was great so if we don't give away penalties like we didn't against Scotland it should be a relatively straight forward win despite Italy playing well. I think the Scotland game showed their defence and discipline, the Italy game will show their attacking prowess, with the combinations really beginning to link up (Youngs - Flood, Farrell - Barrit, Ashton - Foden - Strettle). Although all of Italy's efforts in the tournament will be placed on this game. Playing England at home, against an inexperienced side, they will relish the opportunity to record a historic win. If England can match them in the pack, then our back line will run riot I feel. If that fails, their Fly Half can always fail to kick drop goals! :)

Morgan in for Dowson and Dickson in for Youngs are the realistic changes I think. Aslong as Dickson is fully fit after his hand injury.

Gonna be interesting in Rome. Italians may feel a bit under pressure in their new venue with a much bigger crowd. Think it will tough but my prediction is Italy 14-20 England

What makes me laugh is croft wasn't ever in the game and our attack was a joke compared to italys, frances, wales & Ireland. Unless there is a big improvment in the style of play i can't see us doing any more than the sarries kick and chase and force errors game plan. Maybe i'm a bit cynical but after all the talk about a more expansive game plan all we did was kick the ball away.

Stick Dowson at 6, Morgan at 8, drop the absent croft.
Dickson in for youngs and parling in for botha maybe???
Also can anyone belive they put stevens at LH again!!!! Why oh why

Much as Croft is off colour, he'd feel mighty aggrieved to lose his shirt to Dowson, who seems to only be in the squad to make up for the times when he should have been there in the past... the only way Croft would deservedly lose his place is to Robshaw in the unlikely event of a proper 7 ever wearing 7, or to Haskell upon his return in the Autumn.

What about Robshaw 6. Wood 7 & Morgan 8 that looks as good as. Wood is the best 7 in the premership. No mroe croft please! If i wanted a player to hang out of the wing i'd get a winger!

What about Robshaw 6. Wood 7 & Morgan 8 that looks as good as.
Agreed - that's the best mix of the backrowers we've got in the EPS - not sure who for the bench though. Croft would be good coming on against tired legs, however Dowson has played every backrow position (rightly or wrongly) so would probably be the best choice. Clark would be my choice though.
Wood is the best 7 in the premership.
Simply not true :p

Be interested to see how Morgan steps up. Hasn't had quite the same form this season so far as last but a decent ball carrier.

As far as Englands defence....... I wouldn't big it up too much as the Scots should have scored a few tries against it if they had the slightest clue how to finish and that's a side that lacks penetration. Plenty of work to do there.

Italy are in with a real shot in this game. Will be close

the first time at Stadio Olimpico, and it will be packed

the first time on home soil with the new coach

a lot of confidence in the new (developing) style of play

a fresh boost of enthusiasm by the youngester's backline

the awareness of beein highly competitive vs these english players, as the recent game Treviso v Sarries showed

Italy are targetting this game

even tough, as a matter of fact, they are still the underdogs

Latest posts