• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2011 Demo - Your thoughts?

sorry to ask, but is this on North America PSN yet?

I am on vacation, but get home tomorrow night, and will be up late after a 9:30 ice time, would be nice to give this a go

Gameplay doesn't seem too bad. Can anyone tell me what difficulty level has been selected for this demo?

Just very quick thoughts. I think it looks really nice, very good graphics and animations (including the environments). The controls (from my one game) seam to be tight and well thought out. I wish the demo had a way to change the camera from the side view, I find it difficult to do drop kicks for goal and to judge gaps between defenders. But overall, I'm looking forward to the game's release.

sorry to ask, but is this on North America PSN yet?

I am on vacation, but get home tomorrow night, and will be up late after a 9:30 ice time, would be nice to give this a go
PSN is tomorrow - it came up on XBL about 11am BST, so if Sony upload around the same time (for worldwide) then it'll be up early morning for you tomorrow (like 5am or something)

Gameplay doesn't seem too bad. Can anyone tell me what difficulty level has been selected for this demo?
Easy

PSN is tomorrow - it came up on XBL about 11am BST, so if Sony upload around the same time (for worldwide) then it'll be up early morning for you tomorrow (like 5am or something)

Cheers big ears......drive home 4 1/2 hrs from vacation, dinner with the in laws, game of hockey, followed by RWC till the wee hours......ah to be 20 again

I am enjoying the demo, shame its only a half but thats no big deal. The pick up from the ruck by the scrum half and forwards is really good, one of my main complaints of Rugby 08 was you couldn't run with the scrum half as he would get nailed as soon as he touched the ball, but thats been fixed. The chip is really good, awsome if you manage to pull it off. I found that there are some different holes appearing in the defence in different places which is cool, although that may be becuase of it being on easy. I cant really comment on the player likeness as you don't really get to see any players close up apart from the 10 maybe? Also I think the AI will be better, this was on easy and they were at least running at you properly and putting in decent kicks.
Few things I wasn't keen on, I wish the lineouts from the previous games had still been there, just pressing one button is a little bit boring, but not a big deal. Also, as everyone says, graphics aren't great, but maybe that will come in the next installment (if there is one).
I think the people who are hating it are those who are playing it as if its 08, we can all just score tries and say everythings the same, but if you go out of your way to use all the new features then its much more fun than 08. I'm definitly not cancelling my pre-order.

Cheers big ears......drive home 4 1/2 hrs from vacation, dinner with the in laws, game of hockey, followed by RWC till the wee hours......ah to be 20 again

Don't rush home. PSN demo in NA is on a different timeline. Sorry.

Don't rush home. PSN demo in NA is on a different timeline. Sorry.

part of me want's to thank you for this post, the other part wants to kick Sony in the nuts........will have to spend another couple of day in lovely BC.

AJ, do you have any idea when it will come out, or it this completely out of your hands?

BTW, AJ someone is playing a horrible joke on you.

the game is badass i just scored a monster drop goal with francois steyn to beat england by a point ! how do you dump tackle?

I think something should be said in HB's defence...clearly the developer has time constraints and so has to prioritise what can and can't go into game before release.

My feeling is their initial list of 'features' were whittled down considerably when they realised the challenge of adapting their engine to next gen consoles. I really believe it was a headache for them, and even getting the game to play similar to 08 may have been a difficulty, let alone creating a significant step up. Now they have got a solid platform on next gen consols, I believe the next itirations of the game will focus on introducing new features, improving gameplay, graphics etc. The priorty for this game was to a) to cash in on the world cup b) create a stable game on next gen consols.

So in summary its something for them to build on - this is far from the finished article IMO but we will probably have to wait 2-3 years before we get the kind of game we're looking for. I think its similar to their development cycle for PS2. Remember how awful rugby 04 was? Rugby 05 was a good step up and 06 was all bells and whistles. It'll be the same here.

So going to next gen in a way is a bad thing because it has a sense of 'starting again' but it has to be done.

I sort of agree, and hopefully it will sell enough for a follow up in 2yrs.

I just hope they build a new engine from scratch, rather than tweak the current one over and over. The animation thing doesn't bother me at all, but the overall structure of play from the game engine and the way player move and behave on the pitch hasn't changed for me. I was expecting the game to feel and play differently, but it doesn't.
It is smoother, which helps a little, but ultimately too similar to its predecessors.

Latest posts