• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC 2011: THE FINAL!!! France vs. New Zealand

I hear people mention high tackles a lot - where were these?

250px-Geraet_beim_Optiker.jpg

pronto

Look around a bit. Pretty much every neutral forum on the internet is talking about Jouberts performance. Even the South African ones. You dont need to take it so personally.
Exactly. Not only that, but the ones questioning Joubert are the same people (quite a few of them) that wanted France to loose.

Although i understand the "they deserved to win the cup" argument based on past performances, i don't see it that way. The way i see it is, two teams playing one game, whoever wins gets the trophy.
Justifying the result of one game based on other games sounds, well, anachronistic and fallacious, at best.

Saying "NZ won" is one thing.
Saying "NZ deserved to win" is a completely different matter.

the biggest load of **** has come from DONMCDAZZLE when he said hes been to france and the people were friendly etc, any english speaker whos been to france would know thats all ****

********, France is very friendly and the people are lovely so long as you make an effort to speak French when your there.
If on the other hand you are an arrogant git that refuses to even try to communicate in French then expect them to ignore you.
Kind of like when a Korean comes to the UK and doesn't speak English, people tend to ignore them cause they don't know what they're saying.

Merci mon ami
J'ai eu du mal avec lui. Nous sommes un peuple comme les autres. Il y a des gentils et des méchants. Je n'approuve pas tous ce que fait la France. L'affaire du Rainbow warrior ou un journaliste portugais est mort est une honte, les essais atomique sur Muruoa alors que les populations locales n'étaient pas avertit sont une honte. La main de Thierry Henry contre l'Irlande en football est aussi une honte!!
En tout cas Congrutalation to all the AB, Congrutalation for the Maori People, and we share your joy to have win (for a little point;)).
If you come in France you are very welcome and specialy in Corsica !! (take my E mail)
Rendez vous à la prochaine coupe du monde en Argentine, j'espere (they have a nice team) or in Georgia another little People. Peut être que cette fois là on aura nos chance!

250px-Geraet_beim_Optiker.jpg

pronto

Exactly. Not only that, but the ones questioning Joubert are the same people (quite a few of them) that wanted France to loose.

Although i understand the "they deserved to win the cup" argument based on past performances, i don't see it that way. The way i see it is, two teams playing one game, whoever wins gets the trophy.
Justifying the result of one game based on other games sounds, well, anachronistic and fallacious, at best.

Saying "NZ won" is one thing.
Saying "NZ deserved to win" is a completely different matter.

Agree !!

This is a cup, witch means knock-out stages (oh dear, this is also the subtitle of this thread !!), and not a ranking/annual championship based on points accumulation.

Incredible how NZ medias haven't still understood how can France show different faces depending on the opposition but moreover by the importance of the game. It's both cultural (as Latins) but also because we get used to it because of the clubs championships (TOP14, HCUP,...).

As for the 2 games vs NZ, I'll say I don't see a lot of difference between the 2. You can say of course this little difference is 20 pts, but I pretend all the ingredients of the final game already were present in the pool's one.
The only difference is the weakness we had in defense because of Trinh-Duc very recent replacement by Parra, with costed the 3 tries in less than 20 mins. Except that, the recipe was exactly the same, and I suppose Mr Henri exactly knew what to expect from Les Bleus.
This might be a revelation because the final result does not come from a surprise team (called a B team in theses same media...) and an unpredictable strategy.

Last edited:
Oh God there is a lot of CRAP being posted in this thread.

Yes, the French have a history of excessive dirty play, and doing such things as carrying knives on the pitch, but its just that.... HISTORY. Its long past.

Overall, the modern day French team actually has the best disciplinary record in the Six Nations, and one of the best in the world.

IMO, Rougerie's action of head-butting and eye-gouging McCaw is a "moment of madness"; its not something that I believe is in any away indicative of the way the French play the game these days. Its something that he did in the heat of the moment, that he will regret doing for a long time, because he has permanently destroyed his reputation as a fair player. He will now be remembered as the player who perpetrated and vicious eye-gouge on an opponent who was not in a position to defend himself, and got away unpunished.

I fully expect the French press to tear Rougerie apart for bringing the name of French rugby into disrepute.

Thanks for this post. To be honest, I'm a bit ashamed of what Rougerie has done during this final, we should not see that anymore in modern rugby and we know that this image will stay about this match, that is the sad thing about it. I do not think every french player is a dirty player but I feel sometimes that we are more permissive for these kind of behaviour in our rugby culture. And maybe we are more punished by referees becasue of that.

I guess this violent legend from the french is half true, half dreamed. I guess one of the explanation is that rugby in france is coming from low class and uneducated people in the past, in opposition to university and educated people in England for example. I guess this kind of legend is not totally fake and comes from somewhere. I would say anglo saxon medias are always making the most of it to put down the french whaen they have the occasion to do so. and that is what **** me off about the Rougerie behaviour : he is feeding the legend.

Saying that, frenchies had some reasons to be ****** off. All the trash talk from the media before the match, the Parra incident and a referee who did not make it easy for us...so in this perspective, I can accept the moment of madness of Rougerie but it is defenitly disgusting and stupid to think that nobody will see this.

It does not delete the fact that France has done a great match, this behaviour did not have any incident on the match itself.

And I hope like you that we will show the Rougerie incident everywhere in France (it has started already) and I hope to never see anymore Rougerie in the French team.

Last edited:
********, France is very friendly and the people are lovely so long as you make an effort to speak French when your there.
If on the other hand you are an arrogant git that refuses to even try to communicate in French then expect them to ignore you.
Kind of like when a Korean comes to the UK and doesn't speak English, people tend to ignore them cause they don't know what they're saying.
This pretty much sums up my experience too.

Agree !!

This is a cup, witch means knock-out stages (oh dear, this is also the subtitle of this thread !!), and not a ranking/annual championship based on points accumulation.

Incredible how NZ medias haven't still understood how can France show different faces depending on the opposition but moreover by the importance of the game. It's both cultural (as Latins) but also because we get used to it because of the clubs championships (TOP14, HCUP,...).

As for the 2 games vs NZ, I'll say I don't see a lot of difference between the 2. You can say of course this little difference is 20 pts, but I pretend all the ingredients of the final game already were present in the pool's one.
The only difference is the weakness we had in defense because of Trinh-Duc very recent replacement by Parra, with costed the 3 tries in less than 20 mins. Except that, the recipe was exactly the same, and I suppose Mr Henri exactly knew what to expect from Les Bleus.
This might be a revelation because the final result does not come from a surprise team (called a B team in theses same media...) and an unpredictable strategy.

I think you're forgetting something or someone that could have made a difference in the final that was there in the pool game.

Give you a hint: An above average 1st five five.

Was it over? Yes, without a doubt... Was it between the posts? Looks like it wasn't but just like the Hooked penalty in the Wales-SA match, the AR's who stand next to the posts have the best view and I trust them to make the right decision

The video seems to show the ball passing behind the right bar, but if you look at it very carefully, there are some black pixels that appear on the bar while the ball is behind that may be the result of video compression, or anti-aliasing, or hacked video, or...because the ball is actually masking the bar. The simplest explanation is most of the time the good one.

I thought he'd missed it at the time, but that does look like it curves in right at the end

The video seems to show the ball passing behind the right bar, but if you look at it very carefully, there are some black pixels that appear on the bar while the ball is behind that may be the result of video compression, or anti-aliasing, or hacked video, or...because the ball is actually masking the bar. The simplest explanation is most of the time the good one.

Occams razor. No. If you went to a true tribal person in the heart of the amazon and told them your mobile phone had a little man inside speaking to you, it would not be the best explanation. Yeah...

Occams razor. No. If you went to a true tribal person in the heart of the amazon and told them your mobile phone had a little man inside speaking to you, it would not be the best explanation. Yeah...
:lol:
You mean you didn't know there's actually a little man in it ??? Makes me think of how the camera works in Terry Pratchett's books.

Hey, the mobile phone does not have a little squealing naked man in it, unlike the basement below Olyys house, but thats another story...

Hey, the mobile phone does not have a little squealing naked man in it, unlike the basement below Olyys house, but thats another story...

I'm working for a company designing system-on-chips for mobile phones and I can ensure that...okay, maybe not.

Latest posts