• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: Argentina - England (10-09-2011, 20:30)

TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
RWC%202011.png

Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin (10-09-2011, 20:30)
Argentina.png
Versus Challenge.png
England.png

Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin
10/09/2011
20:30
Referee: Bryce Lawrence (NZ)

[TABLE="class: grid"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Argentina[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]England[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Martin Rodriguez[/TD]
[TD]15[/TD]
[TD]Ben Foden[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Horacio Agulla[/TD]
[TD]14[/TD]
[TD]Chris Ashton[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Gonzalo Tiesi[/TD]
[TD]13[/TD]
[TD]Manu Tuilagi[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Santiago Fernández[/TD]
[TD]12[/TD]
[TD]Mike Tindall (c)[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Gonzálo Camacho[/TD]
[TD]11[/TD]
[TD]Delon Armitage[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Felipe Contepomi[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]Jonny Wilkinson[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Nicolás Vergallo[/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]Richard Wigglesworth[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Juan Mártin Fernández Lobbe[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]Nick Easter[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Juan Manuel Leguizamon[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]James Haskell[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Julio Farias Cabello[/TD]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]Tom Croft[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Patricio Albacete[/TD]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD]Courtney Lawes[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Manuel Carizza[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]Louis Deacon[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Juan Figallo[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]Dan Cole[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Mario Ledesma[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]Steve Thompson[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Rodrigo Roncero[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]Andrew Sheridan[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Agustin Creevy[/TD]
[TD]16[/TD]
[TD]Dylan Hartley[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Martin Scelzo[/TD]
[TD]17[/TD]
[TD]Matt Stevens[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Mariano Galarza[/TD]
[TD]18[/TD]
[TD]Tom Palmer[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Alejandro Campos[/TD]
[TD]19[/TD]
[TD]Tom Wood[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Alfredo Lalanne[/TD]
[TD]20[/TD]
[TD]Ben Youngs[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Marcelo Bosch[/TD]
[TD]21[/TD]
[TD]Toby Flood[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Juan José Imhoff[/TD]
[TD]22[/TD]
[TD]Matt Banahan[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Last edited:
Can't wait for this match, as I get to watch it at the stadium :p

I think England will definitely go into this match as favourites, but it will hopefully be a close game. If Argentina could pull off the upset it would be great for the tournament!

Lucky bugger :D

It's hard to say how this will go,
I expect the England squad that faced Ireland to be out, though with Moody at 7 (if fit - Wood if not) - I think there's a good chance Haskell will be at 8

Really don't know what to expect of Argentina - they looks lifeless against Wales, even their forwards weren't what I was expecting, but I don't think it'll be the same for this match

England by 5-8 is what I'm going with

Yeah it is really hard to know what to expect from Argentina - I'm picking England by about 7 too, but I really have no idea!

Who do you think will play in the midfield for England - do you think they will go with Hape/Tindall or Tindall/Tuilagi?
I assume Wilkinson is likely to start at 10 too - I'm sitting directly behind the posts, so might get to catch a few of his drop-goal attempts :)

If MJ goes with Hape/Tindal im going to kick myself(again). But I really haven't got a clue what he's going to do hoping for Tindal/Tuilagi. Thought Tindal played very well at 12 and they should be a pairing for the WC, Wilko seems certain to start with Flood coming on after 60 to replace either Tindal or Wilkinson.

I think if N.Easter is 100% he will start, with Haskell on the bench to cover the entire backrow.Think he'll come on for Moody(If he starts) after 50-60min. I also think Thompson will start he deserves it.

England will beat Argentina by more than 20 points. You heard it here first.

I expect the team to be:

1. Sheridan
2. Thompson
3. Cole
4. Lawes
5. Palmer
6. Croft
7. Moody (c)
8. Haskell (though I wouldn't be surprised to see Easter)
9. Wigglesworth*
10. Wilkinson
11. Cueto
12. Tindall
13. Tuilagi
14. Ashton
15. Foden

16. Hartley
17. Stevens
18. Shaw
19. Wood (Haskell if he doesn't start)
20. Youngs*
21. Flood
22. Armitage

*Not sure who will start out of Wigglesworth and Youngs - depends how fit they think Youngs will be after missing so much through recovering from his knee injury. He'll feature, but I don't know whether it'll be from the bench

You should be in for a good match - Ashton and Tuilagi will be looking to get some tries, and Wilko is bound to try a dropgoal or two, I can't remember a match where he hasn't :p

If Argentina play like they did against Wales it might well be something like that. Hope for England and for Argentina they don't play like that though.

Stick Cueto on the bench and Armitage in the starting position. (braces self for Olyys hammer of fury and wrath)

England to beat Argentina by 20 or more u heard it here second

argentina will not be able to Mach the English physicality for sustained periods of play

Stick Cueto on the bench and Armitage in the starting position. (braces self for Olyys hammer of fury and wrath)

On recent form in an England shirt I'd have to agree. Cueto also had a slight injury is he a 100% fit?

Almost typed Cueto's name wrong again, then realised my mistake told myself off and corrected it :p

England to beat Argentina by 20 or more u heard it here second

argentina will not be able to Mach the English physicality for sustained periods of play

Traditionally Argentina haven't had issues with physicality, and looking at the likely Argentina team I expect they should match England's physicality in the forwards. In the back however, I think Argentina may struggle with physicality, particularly in the mid-field.

Traditionally Argentina haven't had issues with physicality, and looking at the likely Argentina team I expect they should match England's physicality in the forwards. In the back however, I think Argentina may struggle with physicality, particularly in the mid-field.

I expect them to match us every bit in the forwards for the first half of the game (even if its purely on will power). But then I expect the old gaurd (Ledesma etc.) to get tired with them having to be replaced and bringing on less quality players. They should struggle in mid-field, which should mean they'd have to draw more players in which should create some room for the likes of Ashton/Foden/ArmitageorCueto and Tuilagi to exploit.

Meh, I wouldn't be adverse to that

Cueto has the better defence, but both good under the high ball, and Armitage has much better acceleration and a marginally better clearance (also presents a kicking option)

The game will break down (as eot345 said above) and Armitage will take advantage of the broken field better than Cueto, who is better at wriggling through defensive lines

Apparently Cuetos injury in the match was that he wrenched his back intercepting the ball, then his left leg went number and number until he couldn't run/walk/put weight through it - is fit again now though and will be 100% for the match (I've read everyone bar Easter/Moody is 100%, but they will be 100% by the match)

Last edited:
I think England will blow Argentina out of the water in terms of points. Tuilagi will have a field day. The only competitive area will be the front five and even in that England will come out on top. Just wait and watch.

Also depends whether Contepomi get's his kicking back on target

Thinking about it, I'd like to increase my England win to 10-20pts :p
I don't want to sound arrogant etc. but I'd forgotten how Argentina fell off against Wales in the 2nd half
and really, Wales won by 15pts, and anything they can do we can do better :p

Also depends whether Contepomi get's his kicking back on target

Thinking about it, I'd like to increase my England win to 10-20pts :p
I don't want to sound arrogant etc. but I'd forgotten how Argentina fell off against Wales in the 2nd half
and really, Wales won by 15pts, and anything they can do we can do better :p

Amen to that. We are the big brother after all, to quote a wise man :p

This is not the team of 2007 and altough i agree Argentina's forwards are potentialy very physical. However they are also largely older and largely less conditioned then their english counter parts and so argentina will not be able to match england into the second half IMO, Argentina also dont have the strength in depth that england have. (they cant match the bench quality of Shaw, Easter/Haskell, Stevens etc off the bench) (Argentina's poor conditioning/older players) will also mean they will be forced to use their weaker bench (you dont see 38 year old hookers playing 80 mins of international rugby very often) In Conclusion i agree Argentina probably will be able to match england physicality but for nothing like 80 mins

Last edited:

Latest posts