• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC Discussion thread: Ireland are bulbous and ready to dominate

what a stupid post.

|
v

ireland have been all bark and no bite for the entirety of rugby history. They blew it against a tired all black team 2 years ago, now they have another chance to do well in a world cup, but likely too much pressure, expectations and eagerness will deny them a result in a clinical knockout game. It's in your genes sorry lads.

What the **** did you just ****ing say about me, you little *****? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the **** out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my ****ing words. You think you can get away with saying that **** to me over the Internet? Think again, ****er. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're ****ing dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little ****. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your ****ing tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will **** fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're ****ing dead, kiddo.

- Joe "Sniper" Schmidt

"What in Davy Jones' locker did ye just bark at me, ye scurvy bilgerat? I'll have ye know I be the meanest cutthroat on the seven seas, and I've led numerous raids on fishing villages, and raped over 300 wenches. I be trained in hit-and-run pillaging and be the deadliest with a pistol of all the captains on the high seas. Ye be nothing to me but another source o' swag. I'll have yer guts for garters and keel haul ye like never been done before, hear me true. You think ye can hide behind your newfangled computing device? Think twice on that, scallywag. As we parley I be contacting my secret network o' pirates across the sea and yer port is being tracked right now so ye better prepare for the typhoon, weevil. The kind o' monsoon that'll wipe ye off the map. You're sharkbait, fool. I can sail anywhere, in any waters, and can kill ye in o'er seven hundred ways, and that be just with me hook and fist. Not only do I be top o' the line with a cutlass, but I have an entire pirate fleet at my beck and call and I'll damned sure use it all to wipe yer arse off o' the world, ye dog. If only ye had had the foresight to know what devilish wrath your jibe was about to incur, ye might have belayed the comment. But ye couldn't, ye didn't, and now ye'll pay the ultimate toll, you buffoon. I'll **** fury all over ye and ye'll drown in the depths o' it. You're fish food now."

Love that variation

Cian Healy has had neck disk surgery and will be out for 'a few months'.

A Kiwi calling another country chokers.... I've heard it all now!!!

What other years were the All Blacks genuine favorites? Maybe 95 and 07, but in all the other years, I think the best team won. Besides, we've won it twice, that's one more than England.

The only game in which I think the AB's ever choked in was the 2007 game vs France. Which was largely due to poor officiating from Wayne Barnes as well. Rest of the other losses were fair and reflection of how good other teams were/how bad the All Blacks were at that point in time. Maybe the loss in 99 to France was poor as well, but we weren't good vs Scotland either and the writing was on the wall, Australia would have beaten us in the final.

Ireland have failed to impress at any World Cup. Even Argentina have managed a semi-final.

Last edited:
What other years were the All Blacks genuine favorites? Maybe 95 and 07, but in all the other years, I think the best team won. Besides, we've won it twice, that's one more than England.

The only game in which I think the AB's ever choked in was the 2007 game vs France. Which was largely due to poor officiating from Wayne Barnes as well. Rest of the other losses were fair and reflection of how good other teams were/how bad the All Blacks were at that point in time. Maybe the loss in 99 to France was poor as well, but we weren't good vs Scotland either and the writing was on the wall, Australia would have beaten us in the final.

Ireland have failed to impress at any World Cup. Even Argentina have managed a semi-final.

So if NZ were genuine favourites in 87, 95, 07, 11; they cho- I mean underachieved at 50% of them. And lets not forget, they did just about everything they could to blow it against France in the Final 2011!
It's all tongue in cheek though mate and if NZ don't win this year, I don't think it will be because of being weighed down by expectation. More likely that they could just be beaten by a better team on the day.

As for the Irish, it is only really in the past 2 world cups where they could be considered contenders. Even then I think they would have seen a Semi Final exit as a major achievement. So to say they have a track record of blowing it at WCs is a bit of stretch.

Not to start a debate but NZ have never done in a RWC that wasn't on home soil.

So if NZ were genuine favourites in 87, 95, 07, 11; they cho- I mean underachieved at 50% of them. And lets not forget, they did just about everything they could to blow it against France in the Final 2011!
It's all tongue in cheek though mate and if NZ don't win this year, I don't think it will be because of being weighed down by expectation. More likely that they could just be beaten by a better team on the day.

As for the Irish, it is only really in the past 2 world cups where they could be considered contenders. Even then I think they would have seen a Semi Final exit as a major achievement. So to say they have a track record of blowing it at WCs is a bit of stretch.

50% is still a good win ratio as a favourite and the teams who have won it deserve their due and the sides who beat the All Blacks. 2007 is truly the disappointing year for us, because we were clearly the best team in the world then. Carters injury and Nick Evans not playing cost us among arrogance from Graeham Henry and an awful forward pass try, poor reffing and a shocking performance from Luke MacAlister and to be fair to the French some inspired substitutions (Michalak). People tend to give the All Blacks a hard time about the 2011 final. But credit to the French who showed up and Stephen Donald who was what? 5th string 1st 5/8. I personally think it's a big ask to win this upcoming World Cup, we have players on the way out and an ever growing injury list. One thing I know, is the side that beats us will deserve to. This All Blacks group has a great attitude and never dying attitude, so it's going to take a big performance from a good side to win.

Ireland have been nothing short of embarrassing at WC's. The worst being 2007. For years people call them "dark horses" or they are everyones favourite side team, including mine over the years. But their World Cup efforts have been embarrassing and quite frankly ****e. I'd love to see them get up this WC, they're looking strong and it's in the right contitinent, but as I said earlier, they'll likely fall to their own pressure and inferiority complex which plagues their team.

50% is still a good win ratio as a favourite and the teams who have won it deserve their due and the sides who beat the All Blacks. 2007 is truly the disappointing year for us, because we were clearly the best team in the world then. Carters injury and Nick Evans not playing cost us among arrogance from Graeham Henry and an awful forward pass try, poor reffing and a shocking performance from Luke MacAlister and to be fair to the French some inspired substitutions (Michalak). People tend to give the All Blacks a hard time about the 2011 final. But credit to the French who showed up and Stephen Donald who was what? 5th string 1st 5/8. I personally think it's a big ask to win this upcoming World Cup, we have players on the way out and an ever growing injury list. One thing I know, is the side that beats us will deserve to. This All Blacks group has a great attitude and never dying attitude, so it's going to take a big performance from a good side to win.

Ireland have been nothing short of embarrassing at WC's. The worst being 2007. For years people call them "dark horses" or they are everyones favourite side team, including mine over the years. But their World Cup efforts have been embarrassing and quite frankly ****e. I'd love to see them get up this WC, they're looking strong and it's in the right contitinent, but as I said earlier, they'll likely fall to their own pressure and inferiority complex which plagues their team.

2007 was embarrassing, a stale coaching team ****ing up in a major way. 2011 we both exceeded and fell short of expectations, beating Australia and losing to Wales but they were expected to reach a QF and they did. Apart from that they've won every game they have been expected to apart from Wales in '11 Argentina in 1999 and in hindsight both those sides were better than the Ireland sides at the time. Overall they have fallen short of expectations twice, the same amount of times NZ have and never exceeded them. It's nothing to do with choking but rather just not being a very good team, "dark horses" doesn't really mean anything more than a team who won't contend but they could spring a surprise or challenge a bigger side.

Ireland have never peaked in a World cup year either, if you look at their peaks in the last 12 years they've been in '04, '06, '09 and now '14 and '15. a semi final will be reached this year and going deeper than that is not unforeseeable. If NZ are avoided this world cup is entirely in Ireland's own hands, a huge ask but certainly possible.

2007 was embarrassing, a stale coaching team ****ing up in a major way. 2011 we both exceeded and fell short of expectations, beating Australia and losing to Wales but they were expected to reach a QF and they did. Apart from that they've won every game they have been expected to apart from Wales in '11 Argentina in 1999 and in hindsight both those sides were better than the Ireland sides at the time. Overall they have fallen short of expectations twice, the same amount of times NZ have and never exceeded them. It's nothing to do with choking but rather just not being a very good team, "dark horses" doesn't really mean anything more than a team who won't contend but they could spring a surprise or challenge a bigger side.

Ireland have never peaked in a World cup year either, if you look at their peaks in the last 12 years they've been in '04, '06, '09 and now '14 and '15. a semi final will be reached this year and going deeper than that is not unforeseeable. If NZ are avoided this world cup is entirely in Ireland's own hands, a huge ask but certainly possible.

Interesting point about peaking. I fear the All Blacks have also peaked, 12'-14' and this season is definitely going to be a telling one, I fear some players are past their last legs. I think Ireland are going into the tournament strong. It's definitely the best you have looked, The Welsh result was a disappointment though. I will be disappointed if you do not get a semi-final birth, but not surprised.

To be fair I don't think we can claim the glory when our "5th string" first five steps up in 2011, but in 2007 when Carter and Evans go down it's suddenly an excuse. If we aren't able to produce a 3rd string first five to step in like Donald did then that's on us, not other teams. I agree the forward pass was a key moment - we got screwed there tbh. But we also screwed ourselves with our entire approach to that tournament really. No biggy. We have the cup now, and we'll have it again.

To be fair I don't think we can claim the glory when our "5th string" first five steps up in 2011, but in 2007 when Carter and Evans go down it's suddenly an excuse. If we aren't able to produce a 3rd string first five to step in like Donald did then that's on us, not other teams. I agree the forward pass was a key moment - we got screwed there tbh. But we also screwed ourselves with our entire approach to that tournament really. No biggy. We have the cup now, and we'll have it again.

Of course it's an excuse and it's an explanation to why the game was so close in 2011 as well. Stephan Donald and Luke McAlister? Come on.

I think the 2015 RWC will be Ireland's best chance at making the semi finals. Judging by the 6 nations though, it won't be pretty. Have a few concerns though:
1. Rob Kearney is looking to be losing his bite in attack - He's not the Kearney of 2 years ago and due to his dominance, we don't have any natural 15's to support him.
2. We have no real attacking flair - We don't seem to have the capacity to do line breaks which will be worrying against the southern hemisphere - Can't risk losing an early lead like we did against Wales in the 6N.
3. Not sure if we have quality support in the 13 jersey. Payne showed ability against Scotland but on the world stage, I think he may be in danger of being identified as the weak link in the chain.
4. We have no full time No. 11. Zebo not good enough to represent Ireland in the world cup and Fitzgerald / Earls have not had enough game time.
5. We have a gruelling warm up schedule. 2 x Wales and England. I am so worried about the potential injury count.

Overall though, with Schmidt steering the ship, I think we have the smarts to get to the semi's.

Fingers, toes and eyes crossed!

I think the 2015 RWC will be Ireland's best chance at making the semi finals. Judging by the 6 nations though, it won't be pretty. Have a few concerns though:
1. Rob Kearney is looking to be losing his bite in attack - He's not the Kearney of 2 years ago and due to his dominance, we don't have any natural 15's to support him.
2. We have no real attacking flair - We don't seem to have the capacity to do line breaks which will be worrying against the southern hemisphere - Can't risk losing an early lead like we did against Wales in the 6N.
3. Not sure if we have quality support in the 13 jersey. Payne showed ability against Scotland but on the world stage, I think he may be in danger of being identified as the weak link in the chain.
4. We have no full time No. 11. Zebo not good enough to represent Ireland in the world cup and Fitzgerald / Earls have not had enough game time.
5. We have a gruelling warm up schedule. 2 x Wales and England. I am so worried about the potential injury count.

Overall though, with Schmidt steering the ship, I think we have the smarts to get to the semi's.

Fingers, toes and eyes crossed!

Just on these.

I thought many are saying Kearney is playing some of his best rung this season. Personally I think I've seen him worst in the past.

That's the Schmidt plan. It's structured and well seems to be working. We certainly have the players and the flair if the plan allows

I'm the biggest critic of Payne at 13 as I think he's a fabulous 15 but he's certainly looked good at 13 recently and behind him we have Henshaw who can move to 13. It's not our strongest point but certainly not a clear weakness.

You say Zebo not good enough. I'd disagree. But besides that Gilroys on fire, Earls is on fire with as much game time as he's had in few years, Trimble will be back and Luke Fitz was going well and hopefully is back so not sure what to say.

We've always had that amount of warm up games against that opposition or France (who's avoided as they're in our pool). It's because lads need game time. Not just the first XV but up to 45 players or so. So can't say it's too much unless we want guys going in to RWC with no game time since May.

Kearney playing for Ireland this year was top notch, apart from Wales he outplayed his opposite number in every game. For Leinster he's been anonymous.

Kearney playing for Ireland this year was top notch, apart from Wales he outplayed his opposite number in every game. For Leinster he's been anonymous.

Yeh but one of those games his opposite number was Alex Goode and let's be honest Goode could easily be outplayed by a used tea bag .....

Latest posts