• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: Ireland - Italy (02-10-2011, 20:30)

Eh ............... no. Tom Court will slot right in there.

Not an ideal substitution to have to make, but nowhere near as bad as the disaster that is Tony Buckley.

Is Court not a loosehead who can cover tighthead in an emergency? (That's what I've always thought he was anyway, I could be way off)
DK would go with Buckley, though, surely?
Maybe calling up Hayes for good measure

Is Court not a loosehead who can cover tighthead in an emergency? (That's what I've always thought he was anyway, I could be way off)

Given the option of Hayes or Buckley I would take Hayes, followed by Stringer followed by accepting defeat outright followed by Buckley.

Duck Ross was ignored for so long because he was playing in England and then on bench for Leinster in first season.

But if Healy or Ross get injured we are in trouble as Buckley and Court aren't good enough back ups but we seriously lack depth here

I have a couple of friends who play/have played prop who I would choose ahead of Buckley.

Bit nervous about this match... Although having Ferris play will be great. I remember him tearing **** up against Italy in 09. If we can match them up front that should be enough. Their backline is lacking in a big way. Not that ours has been inspiring.

Court's most familiar side is loosehead, but he can play tighthead and does so fairly regularly. He started for Ireland a couple of times in the AIs at tighthead and held his own against Tony Woodcock. Court's not scrummaged well in his substitute appearances for Ireland, no excuses, but to my (slightly biased) mind he's shown more than Buckley at this level on either side. I most certainly wouldn't have him at Ulster ahead of Court on either side... or for that matter just about any of the Ulster tightheads.

As for Ross being ignored, it was because he was an unfit fattie who couldn't even get from ruck to ruck in time.

Ross said it himself, the only way he can get match fit is with games, we serioulsy lucked out when Wright was injured, ah the luck of the Irish, toor ra loor a loo ra toor a loor a la.

Court's most familiar side is loosehead, but he can play tighthead and does so fairly regularly. He started for Ireland a couple of times in the AIs at tighthead and held his own against Tony Woodcock. Court's not scrummaged well in his substitute appearances for Ireland, no excuses, but to my (slightly biased) mind he's shown more than Buckley at this level on either side. I most certainly wouldn't have him at Ulster ahead of Court on either side... or for that matter just about any of the Ulster tightheads.

As for Ross being ignored, it was because he was an unfit fattie who couldn't even get from ruck to ruck in time.
In fairness Buckley isn't that hard to be in front of.

And guess what Logs being a bit presumtuous here but despite him carrying something like 120kg he's probably fitter than you not just you but many regular people.

Mallet's comments were interesting while pretty much through we can hold our own and if riled up (wich the frontrow will be) could do pretty well. Could make us get bogged down in a scrummaging war and influence Kaplan.

It will certainly be interesting
Castro will make mincemeat of Healy, but then Ross will probably do the same to his opposite number

Ross doesn't really make mincemeat out of people. He can hold his own and sometimes gets a slight shove on....but in that Ireland scrum, there shall be no 'making mincemeat'.
at.

It will certainly be interesting
Castro will make mincemeat of Healy, but then Ross will probably do the same to his opposite number

Yeah it will be great to see how much we have progressed from when Ross, Best and Healy all started their first game together against Italy in the 6N. I still think Italy may have a slight advantage in the scrum as long as their whole pack unit works well and they have their best front row available. It is always important to try and beat a team up front but I would be quite content if we managed to just contain them up front in the hope that we can use our back row and backs to move the ball through contact. I don't want Ireland to get into another arm wrestle with the Italians.

Yeah it will be great to see how much we have progressed from when Ross, Best and Healy all started their first game together against Italy in the 6N. I still think Italy may have a slight advantage in the scrum as long as their whole pack unit works well and they have their best front row available. It is always important to try and beat a team up front but I would be quite content if we managed to just contain them up front in the hope that we can use our back row and backs to move the ball through contact. I don't want Ireland to get into another arm wrestle with the Italians.

I think it's important also that the backrow stay engaged. There's nothing more annoying seeing the scrum walking backwards and the flankers not even pushing but instaed waiting for the number 8 to go. Let the scrumhalf call it for you rather than leaving 5/6 players dealing with 7/8.

I think it has to be said Castro has had his struggles with Healy in the past. Ross and Italy's LH (Name too hard to spell) will be a tight battle too.
I'm glad that we realize this will be a battle and the Aus game doesn't cover over some of problems before that but well I'm very interested to see how Deccie approaches this. It's knockout rugby at this stage and well he loves the 10 man rugby in these situations but that will be a difficult task against an Italian pack that are as hard as nails with plenty of heart. I think our gameplan will be extremely interesting.

Latest posts