• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: Ireland - Italy (02-10-2011, 20:30)

I honestly think Our biggest weapon here is Ronan O'Gara. Hit those corners for the entire match. If we're ever more than 4 meters from the Italian line and there's no a glaring chance to spread it wide then just bang it into the corner.

We need not be worrying about a scary Italian counter-attack the whole match. The Italian pack will be tired after 80 minutes of rugby today. So make them walk down their pitch all day to deal with line-outs in their own 22 and they WILL crack and there discipline will go.

I honestly think Our biggest weapon here is Ronan O'Gara. Hit those corners for the entire match. If we're ever more than 4 meters from the Italian line and there's no a glaring chance to spread it wide then just bang it into the corner.

We need not be worrying about a scary Italian counter-attack the whole match. The Italian pack will be tired after 80 minutes of rugby today. So make them walk down their pitch all day to deal with line-outs in their own 22 and they WILL crack and there discipline will go.
Agree with this - We have to keep moving their pack as they will tire quicker

In fairness Buckley isn't that hard to be in front of.

No, he's not. My statement should be in no way be taken as talking Court up.

Ahhh alright. Cause I thought you were implying he is no longer a fattie that cant make it from one ruck to the other :)

Well yeah, I felt like being awkward for no particular reason, so I denied making the implication. It is true though. There's no doubt his fitness has improved massively, he's gone from not fit for purpose at international level to not actively detrimental outside the scrums to occasionally actually doing useful things and putting in a real shift. His confidence has improved as well, he seems far happier carrying the ball. If he was still a fattie who couldn't make it from one ruck to the other, he wouldn't be in the Ireland team.

Yeah it will be great to see how much we have progressed from when Ross, Best and Healy all started their first game together against Italy in the 6N. I still think Italy may have a slight advantage in the scrum as long as their whole pack unit works well and they have their best front row available. It is always important to try and beat a team up front but I would be quite content if we managed to just contain them up front in the hope that we can use our back row and backs to move the ball through contact. I don't want Ireland to get into another arm wrestle with the Italians.

Italy will kill you in the scrum.

After last nights performance, I'm going to give this game all the way to Ireland. At first I was a touch anxious that Italy would win and put Australia back onto the other side of the finals, but now it seems, Ireland are going to come out victors of Pool C

man, that comment combined with your DP.... not a good mix hahaha

I think it has to be said Castro has had his struggles with Healy in the past. Ross and Italy's LH (Name too hard to spell) will be a tight battle too.
should be Perugini for about 60 then Lo Cicero

don't expect a strong dominance of italian scrummaging in this game, front row could prevail and force some penalties in a few scrums but irish pack is too much experienced and too much quality and after a while they will match the italian scrummaging for sure

another key area is the lineouts, Italy are completely scrappy there, easily predictable, there will probably be many turnovers by the irish, this will result in a fatal loss of possessions for the italians

I'd say that in a knock out game like this, not on home soil, Italy are hopeless, not enough quality, not enogh consistence at this leve and not enough mental toughness

should be Perugini for about 60 then Lo Cicero

don't expect a strong dominance of italian scrummaging in this game, front row could prevail and force some penalties in a few scrums but irish pack is too much experienced and too much quality and after a while they will match the italian scrummaging for sure

another key area is the lineouts, Italy are completely scrappy there, easily predictable, there will probably be many turnovers by the irish, this will result in a fatal loss of possessions for the italians

I'd say that in a knock out game like this, not on home soil, Italy are hopeless, not enough quality, not enogh consistence at this leve and not enough mental toughness
Have to say, its unfortunatel for Italy, but its hard to argue with anything you have written here.

Pretty much the way I see it.

this game needs to be completely dominated by Ireland and do not worry about the scrum at worst Ireland will match Italy here is possible they get the upper hand compare both Ireland and Italy's scrummagin against oz. Ireland are by far the better team with huge experience, italy will choke at the idea of winning granted this is a good/average Italian team that needs to be broken down but eventually Ireland will run out comfortable winners.

this game needs to be completely dominated by Ireland and do not worry about the scrum at worst Ireland will match Italy here is possible they get the upper hand compare both Ireland and Italy's scrummagin against oz. Ireland are by far the better team with huge experience, italy will choke at the idea of winning granted this is a good/average Italian team that needs to be broken down but eventually Ireland will run out comfortable winners.

The Italian Scrum not destroy the Australian scrum whereas the Irish scrum had the advantage plus the help of one or two questionable calls?
There is definitely the possibility that our scrum will be weaker than the Italians'.

Really enjoyed the last two games by Italy. Their defense wasn't that good but their attack was lovely. Hopefully they can play like they did in the 6 N and avoid losing the game in the last 5 minutes. Stats are not on their side but Ireland didn't make it thru the next stage neither last RWC

Really enjoyed the last two games by Italy. Their defense wasn't that good but their attack was lovely.
they were forced to do it, bonus point was essential, and they did it pretty well against a much weaker side (Russia) but not really effectively vs. a not so much weaker side (USA)

if you remember the game vs. Australia, Italy used their plan A (kick from the box, chase the ball, use your strenghts on bd and scrum - scrum - scrum), it was effective for about 60' but when the defence broke out, they were not able to use a plan B (provided they had one...)

it'll be the same vs Ireland and it won't work either

sometimes I hope (not really, just a paradox...:rolleyes:) the score will be 14 - 0 to the Irish after 20 minutes, so maybe we could watch Azzurri trying to play in a different way

They should just def start with O'Gara for the rest of the tournament !! then we'll be through !!

We can only cross our fingers. Will be wearing my Italy shirt this weekend.

They should just def start with O'Gara for the rest of the tournament !! then we'll be through !!

Nah, we should just keep doing what we're doing. Our two best results this year(Aus and Eng) were with Sexton starting and O'Gara finishing the game off. For all of O'Gara's ability with the boot, his defense is still too much of a liability at this level. Plus I read somewhere that statistically speaking, Ireland score more tries with Sexton at the helm.

Latest posts