• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019] Typhoon Hagibis - Discussion Thread

Came to this forum looking for answers as to why they can't just move the games?

"If New Zealand needed four or five points against us, it would not have been cancelled," he added in comments published on the official Rugby World Cup news service but later removed.

That was Sergio Parisse.

It's just not cricket!

Hopefully some folk on here know that saying. It also rings true as a statement itself.

The CWC has to account for rain. Matches can be be shortened. They also have a longer round robin in terms of matches played. A washout can be inconvenient and unfortunate. Still it's not unexpected. It's cricket after all.

The RWC can't afford the same luxury. There are only three pool matches per team. For some, it'll be all they play. These teams and players invest a lot to play those matches. That's not taking into account supporters etc.

Maybe no one expected this situation. Though the organisers would have been aware it could happen. It just isn't good enough for a professional tournament. An earthquake or similar. That's something you can't do something about. There should have been back up plans if the weather was going to affect the tournament as it has.

From my experience with club rugby here in New Zealand. Matches even during round robin will be moved depending on weather conditions. That means a certain ground might be unsuitable but another will. I can not see how this is not possible on a larger scale.

If games are going to be cancelled in the tournament Are bonus points something that should be applied.

Hypothetical speaking. Pool A is a good example.

Say Japan were sitting on 15pts having picked up the maximum. But Scotland and Ireland had only 8pts from their wins. If their last games were washed out. Japan could not be caught.

At this point Scotland have the better points differential but would not be in the quarter finals because they lost to Ireland.

As I say only a hypothetical scenario. The bonus points could be any which way. Are they actually necessary for a world cup?

The CWC had net run rate as the first qualifying factor. What is fair?

I think what has happened has to be looked at for future tournaments. Unfortunately worst case scenarios are only really looked at once they happen. England v NZ CWC final anyone?

Last edited:
One problem the WC organisers have is that if they move the Scotland game they will be sued to high heaven and back by the Italians as if they can move it for Scotland why can't they move it for Italy.

WR would be bang to rights and have no defence.

Therefore there is precisely zero change of the Scotland game being rearranged it will either be played on time or not at all.

Am I the only one wating to see what kind of monster comes out of the pacific rim when this storm hits?
If Sco v Jap is cancelled, Nessie will finally reveal himself, half cut on single malt, swirling a claymore above his head looking to wreak vengeance on the (dis)organising committee.

If Sco v Jap is cancelled, Nessie will finally reveal himself, half cut on single malt, swirling a claymore above his head looking to wreak vengeance on the (dis)organising committee.
But Godzilla will rise, with firey breath, to defend his nation...

Still trying to figure out what Ireland needs if the JapVSco game is called off.

They'll each get 2 points bringing Japan to 16 & Scotland to 12

Ireland results:
Any win means Japan get through 1st and Ireland 2nd because Japan wins any H2H
A BP loss means Ireland get though on H2H with Scotland (both on 12)
Only a non-BP loss for Ireland means Scotland qualify.

That all about right?

There's quite a wide margin for Ireland qualifying in there. It'd be quite galling for Scotland if Ireland were to lose 2 games in the pools and still qualify ahead of them, should that come to pass.

And Samoa dicking about on their line in the 85th minute has developped into a very intriguing passage of play.

What about the alternative ending, where Godzilla teams up with Nessie gets pissed on sake, get tattoes, gang-bangs Hello Kitty, and leaves Tokyo a wreck
I don't think that's going to happen.

Maybe Godzilla will straddle Nessie and give her a proper f***ing. She's been begging for it for a long time now.

Time to get some strange!!!

"If New Zealand needed four or five points against us, it would not have been cancelled," he added in comments published on the official Rugby World Cup news service but later removed.

That was Sergio Parisse.

It's a tainted world cup from now on, put an asterix next to it! Everyone knows it was Italy's to lose.

More seriously, I do get that logistically it is hard to reorganise in a window when an extreme weather event is scheduled, but they have had over 72hrs notice. They could move a critical match to Okinawa in the far south or Hokkaido in the far north depending on forecast, long before it hits. Japan is a big old place.

The stereotype is that Japan is an incredibly conservative and bureaucratic country, and this lack of flexibility does appear a bit consistent with that. On the flip side, stereotypically reputation is everything in Japan. If it is made clear to them that it would reflect badly on them as hosts and as a team to progress due to a storm then I think the organisers will get full authority to make the Scotland game happen, even if it is behind closed doors.

Also, I think in cricket world cups, if it rains, then tough. Is that right? You draw if not enough overs are played.

And finally, let's not lose sight that typhoons can be fatal, admittedly less so in developed countries. Let's just hope that fans and the public don't end up facing something biblical.

EDIT: bloody hell, a typhoon in the Philippines in 1975 reportedly resulted in the deaths of an estimated 229,000 people through the initial damage and then a dam bursting.

Last edited:
Could there be a more Scottish way to bow out of a World Cup! I trust they will take it with good grace and equanimity and we will never hear of it again.

I think they should rearrange all of the games but play them behind closed doors.

I feel most sorry for Namibia v Canada as this was their "final"

I don't think that's going to happen.

Maybe Godzilla will straddle Nessie and give her a proper f***ing. She's been begging for it for a long time now.

Time to get some strange!!!
Poor thing - she gets lonely in that lock.
She's probably depressed.

@Gozilla - If you do screw Nessie - make she comes... lots... she really needs the release!

Last edited:
they have had over 72hrs notice.

They won the bid in 2009, so they've had 10 years notice, my problem is not the matches being cancelled, obviously safety is by far and away the only concern in that consideration however given they were awarded the competition in July 09 and they were aware that potentially their country is prone to extreme weather conditions, surely you can work on a plan B. Apologies if I come across as salty but this is amateurish for a world cup.

It's a tainted world cup from now on, put an asterix next to it! Everyone knows it was Italy's to lose.

More seriously, I do get that logistically it is hard to reorganise in a window when an extreme weather event is scheduled, but they have had over 72hrs notice. They could move a critical match to Okinawa in the far south or Hokkaido in the far north depending on forecast, long before it hits. Japan is a big old place.

The stereotype is that Japan is an incredibly conservative and bureaucratic country, and this lack of flexibility does appear a bit consistent with that. On the flip side, stereotypically reputation is everything in Japan. If it is made clear to them that it would reflect badly on them as hosts and as a team to progress due to a storm then I think the organisers will get full authority to make the Scotland game happen, even if it is behind closed doors.

Also, I think in cricket world cups, if it rains, then tough. Is that right? You draw if not enough overs are played.

And finally, let's not lose sight that typhoons can be fatal, admittedly less so in developed countries. Let's just hope that fans and the public don't end up facing something biblical.

EDIT: bloody hell, a typhoon in the Philippines in 1975 reportedly resulted in the deaths of an estimated 229,000 people through the initial damage and then a dam bursting.
I'm so angry I've had to join this forum to let out some of my frustration. How dare they do this to our game. It is criminal negligence on the part of World Rugby. They knew Japan was prone to typhoons but didn't have a contingency? England have already left for Myazaki, which proves the game could have been played elsewhere. This tournament has been ruined. How can you some teams playing more games than others. Italy definitly and maybe Scotland should consider sueing World Rugby.

On another point. I'm not a fan. I was a player and an active member of my club. I spilt my blood and broke my bones for the love of my club, the game, and if I had been good enough and given tbe opportunity my country(England). I hate being referred to as a fan. It's our game, not the Rugby administrators and greedy commercial interested parties to serve up to us. It's about time we had a Rugby revolution and took our game back.

Rant over.

Cardy

Does anyone know why they cancelled the games so early? Accuweather says gusts of 110 kph in Toyota . That's not huge , the hurricanes have probably played in that.

Does anyone know why they cancelled the games so early? Accuweather says gusts of 110 kph in Toyota . That's not huge , the hurricanes have probably played in that.
That's like our typical day in Cape Town between November - January

Latest posts