• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023] England vs Argentina (09/09/2023)

Borthwick seems very risk averse, zero chance he'll play Smith at FB, although I don't see that as necessarily a big risk. Stewart might be better under the high ball, but that's one small component of playing FB. How many tries has he leaked because he lacks pace and gets stepped easily?

I did watch an interview with Lawrence Dallaglio and he made a few valid points re SB - mainly that he's inherited a complete mess. He was saying Eddie Jones went through 22(?) assistant coaches during his tenure, not much stability, confusion as to how they should play and lacking confidence. Did make sense. Although I think Borthwicks issue seems to be he has a very blinkered/rigid approach to how he is coaching the team. There doesn't seem to be a plan B, no adaptability, blundering on blindly with the same game plan even when it's apparent it's not working. Odd.

As I was saying a few weeks ago, I wonder if the England players are being over-coached, they've become robots. Zone A you kick long, Zone B you box kick, doesn't matter what the opposition are doing, even if their defence is all over the shop, you don't run the ball in Zone A period. They almost have to have a reset, go back to basics, have a simple game plan, but essentially play what's in front of them.

As Tindall was saying in the same panel interview, the All Blacks don't play a complicated game. They're not doing triple switches and what not. Guys running short off the ruck for a few phases, recycling the ball quickly, suck in the defence, then hands. If they're feeling sharp, they might chuck in a miss-pass. Not rocket-science. They may run it from their own 22, but that's because they've seen opportunities, not because that's part of their game plan.

We're not exactly renowned for stopping other sides from scoring right now. No way we're keeping Arg to just 9
Argentina will force 57 scrum resets in each half. All the points will come from scrum penalties. You heard it here first.

I did watch an interview with Lawrence Dallaglio and he made a few valid points re SB - mainly that he's inherited a complete mess. He was saying Eddie Jones went through 22(?) assistant coaches during his tenure, not much stability, confusion as to how they should play and lacking confidence.

Definitely some truth in there. But that should also have meant an open goal for a degree of immediate improvement. Instead, SB's gone all Ronnie Rosenthal.

Lads and lasses- any recommendations for an England rugby top without me breaking the bank?

I'd ordered a shirt online but delivery issues have meant it doesn't arrive before I travel.

Anyone recommend a store I could head to that may stock without breaking the bank? I do quite like our RWC one but im not paying £80 to then be knocked out the tournament in 9 days time 😂

I'd stump up if we were playing better!

If you've already ordered a proper one - a plain white t-shirt and a home-print iron-on transfer

Lads and lasses- any recommendations for an England rugby top without me breaking the bank?

I'd ordered a shirt online but delivery issues have meant it doesn't arrive before I travel.

Anyone recommend a store I could head to that may stock without breaking the bank? I do quite like our RWC one but im not paying £80 to then be knocked out the tournament in 9 days time 😂

Mine is blue and has a little red chicken on it.

Bin liners are extremely cheap and come in white.

In person?
Best bet is Sports Direct tbh, they're the only sports shop big enough that they sometimes still have previous years stock to sell, but even then the rugby sections are usually pretty small and only have the latest shirts in
I got a Lions shirt from them, reduced, before anyway

In person?
Best bet is Sports Direct tbh, they're the only sports shop big enough that they sometimes still have previous years stock to sell, but even then the rugby sections are usually pretty small and only have the latest shirts in
I got a Lions shirt from them, reduced, before anyway
Cheers Oly and thanks for the banter the rest of ya 😂😂

I might take it back within the hour depending on the line up announcement 🤣

Doesn't Lidl or Aldi often carry official merch at cheaper prices than you'd expect? No idea if they have this time but I remember in 19 there were hoodies for £25 or something along those lines.

There just isn't much evidence to suggest anything other than an Argentina win. England are struggling to score many points while leaking plenty.

Only straw I'm clutching at is that Argentina haven't really played since the Rugby Championship so could be caught a little cold. England have looked really leggy in those warm ups, I keep hearing what a guru Aled Walters is so can only hope those fit are hitting peak fitness on Saturday.

Me too.

I do think there is a chance that Argentina come in over-confident. If England can raise their game, we might not be as sh*t as they/we think.

Latest posts