9. Harry Ellis (Leicester Tigers)*
1. Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers)
2. Rob Webber (London Wasps)
3. Dave Wilson (Newcastle Falcons)
4. Jordan Crane (Leicester Tigers)*
5. George Skivington (London Wasps)
6. Kearnan Myall (Leeds Carnegie)
7. Andy Saull (Saracens)
8. Phil Dowson (Newcastle Falcons, captain)

Replacements
16. Joe Ward (London Wasps)
17. Nathan Catt (Bath Rugby)
18. Tom Mercey (Saracens)
19. Jon Fisher (London Irish)
20. Joe Simpson (London Wasps)
21. Alex Goode (Saracens)
22. Matt Smith (Leicester Tigers)

-------

Good to see Cato and Powell in there, Powell definitely is shaping up to be one fine center and if Cato can fix his tendency to pull silly fouls once a match then he'll beon to big things.

Interesting that they've pulled in Myall from Leeds down in ND1 but also sad that the apart from the odd Saracens or Newcastle player the rest are all from the top four mafia...
</span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span></span>

I like the look of that squad, should be a decent challenge in Portugal also, if they can use there experience to an advantage.

great that we are playing a developing country! I hope Portugal can be as well prepared as they were for the RWC, if it's a close match it would be great for their confidence.

Jordan Crane at 4? Are we really that short of locks? This does look like an U23 team rather than a saxons one though... lots of names from the U18 squad from a few years ago. From a Sarries perspective, Cato, Powell and Saull really deserve it though.

Judging by the locks in our elite squad - bar Nick Kennedy - we are that desperate.

Hopefully Adam Powell does well, twelve is a problem area at the moment.

Does that side look anything like what ye would expect to see play against Ireland A?

what on earth is Ellis doing there, surely there's a decent, younger scrum half coming through the ranks that should be playing this game?

Would have been a good game for Ben Foden but he's being thrown straight into the 6N. I think that its for the best though, he's ready for it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Jan 28 2009, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Does that side look anything like what ye would expect to see play against Ireland A?[/b]

Possibly, although I'd like to think Matt Banahan will be included in that squad unless Johnson is going to put him in the elite squad properly.
I'd also like to see Alex Corbisiero given a run-out in the Saxons. We're missing a tighthead thanks to Matt Stevens' fun and games, Corbisiero could be the man to step up and relieve the over the hill Vickery of his duties very soon!

Can't see the point in Varndell... He never even plays games for Leicester.

Oh, wait, he's a Leicester player... That explains it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hall @ Jan 28 2009, 09:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Judging by the locks in our elite squad - bar Nick Kennedy - we are that desperate.

Hopefully Adam Powell does well, twelve is a problem area at the moment.[/b]

Hmm from what I've seen of Powell, he's a talent but I reckon he lacks the pace needed to be a really quality international centre. IMO there's only one guy who really looks class and that's Turner-Hall. I'd throw him in straightaway and forget about this idea of playing 2 fly-halves.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 28 2009, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
what on earth is Ellis doing there, surely there's a decent, younger scrum half coming through the ranks that should be playing this game?[/b]

Ellis really isn't all bad...

Plus, Joe Simpson's the next best young 9 and Wasps seem to be averse to giving him more than a minute's gametime every match. Shame, I know his family very well; he came from the same club as me and I used to play golf with his brother (who imo was more talented but decided not to do it as a career).

They seem to be borrowing very heavily from England's development squads. Thats where Powell, Cato, Saul and (Alex) Goode came in from.

Hopefully, with time, they'll be dragging yet more youngesters in as cover which can only be a good thing. Who knows? Maybe all the (crap) centers in the Elite squad will get injured and Powell will get his chance...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Jan 28 2009, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Jan 28 2009, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what on earth is Ellis doing there, surely there's a decent, younger scrum half coming through the ranks that should be playing this game?[/b]

Ellis really isn't all bad...[/b][/quote]

Yes he is. Slow service, poor passing, no awareness, stupid "sniping runs" up blind alleys, gobby towards the ref, mindless thug, Tiger, arsehole. He's got nothing going for him.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jan 29 2009, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yes he is. Slow service, poor passing, no awareness, stupid "sniping runs" up blind alleys, gobby towards the ref, mindless thug, Tiger, arsehole. He's got nothing going for him.[/b]

What the hell are you talking about, Mite?! Matt Dawson's been retired for years now! :lol:

EDIT: In all seriousness though, I can't abide by Ellis. Any positives from individual endeavor are nullfied by the big, fat, smelly negative which his the sound of his arms flapping at the base of the ruck It is as if he is trying to dig the ball out with wind power alone.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Jan 29 2009, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jan 29 2009, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes he is. Slow service, poor passing, no awareness, stupid "sniping runs" up blind alleys, gobby towards the ref, mindless thug, Tiger, arsehole. He's got nothing going for him.[/b]

What the hell are you talking about, Mite?! Matt Dawson's been retired for years now! :lol:

EDIT: In all seriousness though, I can't abide by Ellis. Any positives from individual endeavor are nullfied by the big, fat, smelly negative which his the sound of his arms flapping at the base of the ruck It is as if he is trying to dig the ball out with wind power alone.
[/b][/quote]

LMAO. Still think he's a decent player though.

Ahhh that was a pretty brilliant game
Its a shame the first team can't win :(
if we played rugby like the saxons every time
We'd be top of the world...although it was against portugal andthere not exactly the most...gifted team :p

Really looking forward to the Ireland Celts vs England As (see, if we use a nickmane and you have an A, you sound normal and we sound like *****...), two strong looking squads.

Shame Ireland As aren't getting a warm up game aswell.

Do you guys see any changes coming for the Ireland match besides the probability of the big scary focker Banahan?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sandman36 @ Jan 31 2009, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
We'd be top of the world...although it was against portugal andthere not exactly the most...gifted team :p[/b]
You kidding me? That was the worst match I've seen in a while. I don't see how that can be encouraging from an England perspective, to be honest. If that's the basis by which we can judge England's future, then God help you all...

England Firsts havn't one a game in such a long time that i think for an england fan...im just happy to see AN england team win :)
Even if its not the Firsts, My opinion :p
And i never said that was encouraging neither do i think Johnson will think its that encouraging but its good to see that we've still got SOME decent players and it kept the 10 game winning streak also :bravo:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Jan 31 2009, 02:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sandman36 @ Jan 31 2009, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We'd be top of the world...although it was against portugal andthere not exactly the most...gifted team :p[/b]
You kidding me? That was the worst match I've seen in a while. I don't see how that can be encouraging from an England perspective, to be honest. If that's the basis by which we can judge England's future, then God help you all...
[/b][/quote]

Apparently, the buzz is that the game from England's perspective picked up once Alex Goode came on at ten. Powell and Cato did well and thats all I care about ;)

Latest posts