• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scottish independence referendum

Will Scotland vote for independence? (Not personal opinion on if they should)

• Yes

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • No

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • Don't know

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
when I have been to America, I have been treated extremely well by them. I don't like to lead on stereotypes but the accent is a great door opener, I have never encountered any anti-English attitude.

In fact outside the only time I have encounter anti English attitude outside of banter was at a French dinner party, although everyone had a fair amount to drink.

As I have said before there is a lot of "banter" towards England but then I think that more down to the English generally having a self-deprecation, that many others copy it.

Sometimes people make a mountain out of a molehill.

Also the welsh have more reasons to hate.

Second on the French.

I and my wife have experienced genuine racial abuse here.

Like tigs Americans have always been really cool towards me. Being English was especially useful with the girls when I was young free and single, when they hear i have a really strong cockney accent........oh boy!

:D

You are all jelly that we had the biggest and best empire around.

You will never know how it feels to be master of the world like we did.

Some call us arrogant but really we are just on the level we are born to be on, and so it is our god given right to be arrogant.

;)

Also if the union jack flag has to change does that mean flags from Australia, New Zeland Fiji etc etc will have to change as well?

And what will happen to Scotland Yard??? Would it just become Yard/Ye Olde Yarde?

I've never seen a white South African portrayed as good guy in film (the rare times we feature). Even in video games we were the bad guys in Metal Gear Solid.

Except in District 9 but that's because the lead actor and director was South African.

But look at the Actors portraying South Africans, it's basically just Sharlto Copley and Arnold Vosloo (he played a South African gun-runner recently in the American TV series Crisis, he even had a line in Afrikaans).

But I have to agree with your statement. And, what's worse is our old flag used to have the Union Flag on it. (isn't it called the Union Jack only when it's on a ship?)

In the lethal weapon films Patsy kensit was a goody and a south african although she gets killed off after having sex with Mel Gibson, by those evil South Africans. Although she is English so it may not count.

In the lethal weapon films Patsy kensit was a goody and a south african although she gets killed off after having sex with Mel Gibson, by those evil South Africans. Although she is English so it may not count.

Looks like there's a theme... Whoever has sex with Mel Gibson, gets killed... Lethal Weapon, Braveheart...

From what I've noticed in film according to Hollywood; English speaking white Saffas = good while Afrikaans speaking white Saffas = bad.

Bad in a neo-nazi sort of way. I blame Eugene Terreblanche. Uninformed people outside SA wouldn't know that he represents the minority of a minority of a minority of a minority in SA literally; a quick search and neither Wiki nor it's own website gives membership numbers; the one probably couldn't be bothered and the ther'd be embarrassed; pretty much a non-party yet gets a disproportionate amount of media coverage.

well what can I say, you're wrong again. bowshieet, okay, but of this magnitude ????? Son, you take the cake (and bake a fake mistake in the lake, ya flake)
shieeeeeeeeet

aaahhh...okay...

Son????

You patronising pillock....
And whats wrong with having a beer in my hand? We are in the Clubhouse Bar afterall. :p

On the ANZACs - Well as I mentioned, there were actually far more English and French soldier that died. It's more that the 19th century tactics employed by British officers resulted in so many deaths. I'll note that most people in both Australia and New Zealand look on the campaign with some kind of pride as it's one event where we forged a national identity.

I disagree with that; simply put defensive technology outweighed offensive technology massively. Only when tanks and sophisticated planes - deadly things that could move fast - were introduced is when the deadlock started to break.

Someone also mentioned that the USA has a claim to have done more for the world than the British empire, putting the USA on parr with the ancient Romans? Laughable.

From what I've noticed in film according to Hollywood; English speaking white Saffas = good while Afrikaans speaking white Saffas = bad.

Bad in a neo-nazi sort of way. I blame Eugene Terreblanche. Uninformed people outside SA wouldn't know that he represents the minority of a minority of a minority of a minority in SA literally; a quick search and neither Wiki nor it's own website gives membership numbers; the one probably couldn't be bothered and the ther'd be embarrassed; pretty much a non-party yet gets a disproportionate amount of media coverage.

TBF the male Afrikaan accent is pretty badass and therefore tends to suit a tough guy badass villain, much like the English accent lends itself to the more subtle yet sinister villain.

Always wanted to do a proper afrikaan accent but can't quite do it, I can do a nelson Mandela voice but it doesn't really work being a 22 year old middle class white man.

It was this day 100 years ago that the Government of Ireland was passed in Ireland. What a coincidence eh? Of course it didn't actually mean anything as we weren't given Home Rule due to the outbreak of WW1.

I disagree with that; simply put defensive technology outweighed offensive technology massively. Only when tanks and sophisticated planes - deadly things that could move fast - were introduced is when the deadlock started to break.

Someone also mentioned that the USA has a claim to have done more for the world than the British empire, putting the USA on parr with the ancient Romans? Laughable.

Tanks in the first World War were lumbering, gargantuan and slow. They worked well the first few times they were deployed for the shock value, but the Germans developed relatively effective countermeasures soon. The deadlock started to break when the German army's morale collapsed and the naval blockade started to wear down the home front leading to mutinies and revolutions at home. Fresh American units gave the allies effectively limitless reserves of manpower while the Central Powers were already utterly exhausted.

Second on the French.

I and my wife have experienced genuine racial abuse here.

Like tigs Americans have always been really cool towards me. Being English was especially useful with the girls when I was young free and single, when they hear i have a really strong cockney accent........oh boy!

:D

As you have said yourself many times, Paris is not France, and the Parisiens are not French, never had problems in the south they just take the pi** out of my accent but do i care, i speak both languages and most of them do not so the pi**taking soon stops, humour them the results are amazing!!!!!!!!

yeah French ppl def. have an issue with the English, but they're very anti-American typically as well so it's not all that targeted. This feeling is also a million times attenuated with the younger generation. Of course in Paris everybody hates everyone. But there is definitely resentment in all corners of France. A common expression here is "our favorite enemies", not as in the ones we dislike the most, but the people we feel appreciation and animosity towards.

I say make love, not war:

Brown Dulin.png

I live in the Oise, so not really Paris. We lived on Paris 6 years and never a problem.

Is no big deal, were happy here and only once has it ever caused a real issue where we got the police involved.

I live in the Oise, so not really Paris. We lived on Paris 6 years and never a problem.

Is no big deal, were happy here and only once has it ever caused a real issue where we got the police involved.

WOW that sounds fairly serious to me, never has that every happened to me, its always been good banter but nothing ever as serious as that, most of my friends in fact all my friends are French!!!!! I rarely speak English about the only time is at the club with the non french speaking players, mind you we have afew of them

Tanks in the first World War were lumbering, gargantuan and slow. They worked well the first few times they were deployed for the shock value, but the Germans developed relatively effective countermeasures soon. The deadlock started to break when the German army's morale collapsed and the naval blockade started to wear down the home front leading to mutinies and revolutions at home. Fresh American units gave the allies effectively limitless reserves of manpower while the Central Powers were already utterly exhausted.

It should be pointed out that while the British Army did come up with more effective tactics - they'd been used in pockets in the Western front throughout, but not always - the 100 Days, the period when the British Army was at its most effective, was also extremely expensive. So was the breakout from Normandy in WW2. Both of these events had casualty rates that can be compared with the Somme. Improvements in technology did not change this.

Still, based on even the most cursory reading, Gallipoli could have been a lot more efficient. Oops.

(note - not saying you're wrong LG, just adding on)

Latest posts