• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scottish independence referendum

Will Scotland vote for independence? (Not personal opinion on if they should)

• Yes

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • No

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • Don't know

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
WHAATTTT? When do the polls close? Are they not counting immediately?
Polls close at 10pm.

They have to ship in all the votes from all of the Islands around Scotland, by boat and by chopper. Apparently they're expecting some bad weather, as well, which can slow the process.

Not sure where they're doing the count, but somewhere like the Outer Hebrides, going to Glasgow, will take a loooong old time.

WHAATTTT? When do the polls close? Are they not counting immediately?

Voting closes 10 PM. (I think)

Then lots of counting and maybe recounting.

It also maybe limited the amount of ruckus that could happen if the vote goes one way or another imagine if it was midnight with loads of drunks scots about, who have been given bad news, not a nice situation to be in the middle of.

It also maybe limited the amount of ruckus that could happen if the vote goes one way or another imagine if it was midnight with loads of drunks scots about, who have been given bad news, not a nice situation to be in the middle of.
yeah its 10 it closes

Counts don't take that long, Quebec's referendum in 1995 was decided in a couple of hours and was ultra close. What's taking the time is shipping all the ballots to one central place which I did not know till Olly told me. Seems kind of ridiculous, have the local polls counted and call their results into the main centre people shouldn't wait 8-9 hours for results, that's a gong show!

Good luck Scotland if there is a yes vote when you can't even run a referendum vote sensibly.

Cheering for No on my end, Quebec seperatists are already touching themselves in their special areas over how well Scotland's "Yes" campaign has done so far and they'll be pushing hard in Canada again if Scotland votes for independence.

Reading about it now, I think I've got my wires crossed WRT collating the votes - I read an article about the dificulties of getting the votes from the islands to the mainland, and also about the chief counting officer's role, but it seems that it's all being counted council-to-council.
Results should start rolling in at about 1.30am, with the final one expected about 6am and then the official announcement of winner at about 6.30.

Reading about it now, I think I've got my wires crossed WRT collating the votes - I read an article about the dificulties of getting the votes from the islands to the mainland, and also about the chief counting officer's role, but it seems that it's all being counted council-to-council.
Results should start rolling in at about 1.30am, with the final one expected about 6am and then the official announcement of winner at about 6.30.

That makes more sense, the polls open till 10 p.m. is fairly late by election/referendum standards, though this is an important vote so can see the late open time.

What is the division like between Quebec and the rest of canada in terms of government is there the separation like there is between the Scottish and english governments?

Best thing about this election for me is I won't be losing any sleep about it.

What is the division like between Quebec and the rest of canada in terms of government is there the separation like there is between the Scottish and english governments?

Canadians don't want Quebec as their whingers and well Quebec only want Canada when they need money is as accurate as I can put it from Irish view.

Not that seperate, they have a provincial legislature like all Canadian provinces do with certain powers set aside for Provinces and some for Federal government. They have some special programs on their own but these aren't anything major. They have never signed the Canadian constitution either.

Munstermuffin is essentially correct in his interpretation. The constant threats of leaving over the first 25 years of my life(seems to have faded in last few years) has given me no patience for independence movements and how they can hold a country totally hostage. At the moment their movement has kind of stalled but their is nascent support for it amongst at least a sizable minority of Quebecers.

I wonder how well the losing side will take it. I strongly suspect that in the event of a no, Salmond and co will not be gracious in defeat. Something along the lines of blaming English bullying, saying the loss is a sure sign that Scotland does want independence really and that they will hope to see another referendum at some point, contrary to what they said before.

In the two Quebec referendum's the "Yes" side lost both first time out in 1980 by 59.6% to 40.4%, they were relatively gracious in defeat though obviously heartbroken and determined to have another one at some point. The second time in 1995 which I think was 50.8% to 49.2% they were bitter, obnoxious and actually hurt their chances of another referendum in recent times due to their over the top vitriol. My guess is you'll get something along these lines depending on the closeness, the closer it gets the more poisoned the atmosphere will be.

First result in and bad news for Yes. No have taken Clackamannanshire, whilst tiny in the grand scheme of things it's really an area Yes should have won.

i was just saying this morning i would love to see the results broken down by those english (or otherwise) living in Scotland and those native scots.

Also would be interesting to see what the results would be if scots living outside scotland could vote

i was just saying this morning i would love to see the results broken down by those english (or otherwise) living in Scotland and those native scots.

Also would be interesting to see what the results would be if scots living outside scotland could vote

On the Beeb they were just trying to break down counties by how many people were born in Scotland, rest of UK and outside of the UK and seeing whether they could get clues as to how those areas were going. In Quebec's referendum in 1995, the border areas, English speaking areas, Immigrants and Aborginal's were what kept Quebec in Canada, French quebecers voted to leave by a significant plurality.

Pretty much looks like this will be a decent win for "No", already got just under an 8,000 vote lead, and plenty more news coming through of big wins in a few other key constituencies, including Edinburgh where reports have "No" winning by as much as 60% to 40%

It's over....Yes can't even win the Western Isles, Outer Hebrides voting No 53-47% it's over, might end up being No 56-44 Yes or something like that.

It's over....Yes can't even win the Western Isles, Outer Hebrides voting No 53-47% it's over, might end up being No 56-44 Yes or something like that.

Well we may have spoken too soon. Yes are right back in it, total currently stands at 207,587 for No and 206,146 for Yes.

With Edinburgh likely to win a big boost for No, losing all those smaller ones could still prove very bad for Yes.

Edit: I say this just as No wins a couple of constituencies fairly convincingly and stretches their lead.

Last edited:
Well we may have spoken too soon. Yes are right back in it, total currently stands at 207,587 for No and 206,146 for Yes.

With Edinburgh likely to win a big boost for No, losing all those smaller ones could still prove very bad for Yes.

Edit: I say this just as No wins a couple of constituencies fairly convincingly and stretches their lead.

No, it's over and has been since I called it after Western Isles, Yes has underperformed everywhere including where they won. Barring something absolutely shocking out of Glasgow or something it's over. When Yes won Dundee there odds of winning the referendum actually dropped from 5% to 1.1% since they didn't rack up a large enough margin there. Borders and other regions that will likely vote strongly No still to come as well.

Latest posts