• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Sharks v Lions

Lions got a strong pack. Backs are creative and Williams has a last chance to show if he has it.

The problem with Williams now is that he does not get the space he once used to and therefore he has to go search for the ball more often than not and making mistakes most of the time.

Wow.

That's gotta say something about the depth the sharks have if they lose 10 players to Bok duty and are able to put out a squad that's still fairly damn impressive.

hell that'd make a pretty good currie cup side for sure.

Find it strange that Halfpenny isn't starting at 14, I'd have thought Geech would want to give him a proper run out as he didn't really get that much of a chance to show off his skills vs the Cheetahs
Quite looking forward to this one though, from what i;ve heard the Sharkls are a decent team with very good strength in depth, so should be a good game!

Should be interesting to see what happens when BOD can command the backs and O'Connell can do what O'Connel doesn best and captain from the front.

Watch Keegan Daniel, If the game opens up he will be impressive. I am a little, if not very worried about the midfield though! I just wish that the 1st choice team with all the Springboks was allowed to play. That would be an amazing game.

As said many times above, this is a near-test side, looks like they're not taking any chances with the sharks :p
Would've liked to have seen flutey starting though, but i suppose they want to try out rob/bod again to make sure they click as well

I read somewhere that Flutey has a knee injury. Apparently he's waking up at like 3 in the morning to have ice treatments and such.

"A recurrence of a thigh injury forces Wales wing Leigh Halfpenny to withdraw from the Lions side to play the Sharks."

Poor kid.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Jun 9 2009, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I read somewhere that Flutey has a knee injury. Apparently he's waking up at like 3 in the morning to have ice treatments and such.[/b]
Yeah apparently it's better now, his did something in the match against the royal XV, and apparently was getting up every two hours to do the cold treatment thing, because he wanted to be better asap

I imagine Leigh is as good as out of the tour so. Will he recover for the Southern Kings or Emerging Boks game? His test chances are worse than Shanes if not.

Ok, time for my every-match pre round up and interesting facts (not that anyone cares, but screw it, i will keep doing it!)

So, it's time for the first real test for the Lions. The previou8s 3 games were starters, and now the Lions will be taking on one of the stronger South African franchises in the Sharks. The Sharks team is as follows:

15. Stefan Terblanche
14. Chris Jordaan
13. Andries Strauss
12. Riaan Swanepoel
11. Luzuko Vulindlu
10. Monty Dumond
9. Rory Kockott

8. Keegan Daniel
7. Jean Deysel
6. Jacques Botes
5. Johann Muller (captain)
4. Steven Sykes
3. Jannie du Plessis
2. Skipper Badenhorst
1. Deon Carstens

Replacements:
16. Craig Burden
17. Patric Cilliers
18. Albert van den Berg
19. Michael Rhodes
20. Charl McLeod
21. Guy Cronje
22. Lwazi Mvovo

I have basically bolded the 'danger men' of this Sharks team. Even though they are missing 10 of their stars, they have managed to put together a pretty solid team, and should be able to push the Lions to the end. The real danger men are the back row. Jean Deysel is a pure power runner, kind of a battering ram who is guaranteed to break at least one tackle every time he gets the ball. Keegan Daniel is a small, but energetic player with some good pace, and good vision. Jacques Botes is one of the unsung heroes of sharks rugby, and will be doing most of the dirty work come ruck time.

The backline should be the target for the Lions, as the Sharks have a really inexperienced outfit their, apart from Terblanche, who will hopefully be able to calm some of the nerves, and lead the way for the home team. I feel that if BOD and Robberts have the same impact they had on the Lions a week ago, the Sharks will be in some real trouble.

Another interesting aspect is that this is also the ground where the first test will be played next Saturday, so it will be interesting to see how the Lions fair with the humid sub-tropical climate being a factor.

All in all, i think the Lions will take it. They are fielding a very good team, and should be able to handle the Sharks up front. This should be a cracker, and i will hopefully be able to give my take on the game come podcast time when it's over.

Here are my interesting facts on Durban:

- Durban is the third most populous city in South Africa
- Durban is the busiest container port in Africa
- Durban is one of the host cities of the 2010 FIFA World Cup and is the host of an A1GP motor race, driven on a street track.
- It is rumoured that Durban will bid for the 2018 Commonwealth Games and the 2020 Summer Olympics

Here are some images of the stadium, and city, as well as a picure of the soon to be completed 2010 stadium.

Kick-off is @ 19:10CAT. Enjoy the game guys!

durban6.jpg

dsc02336.JPG

King.jpg

So another tough backrow battle coming up then? Can't say I'm unhappy about that. The way the lads have played so far the more tough encounters they get the better as they haven't shown the physicality needed to match the Springboks yet. Hopefully we'll get through this on unscathed and with another win under our belt. As Jer1cho said it's the first real challenge for these Lions, they really need to front up. That said, Lions by 10 with Briany showing that hes the real captain once again

Also, in honor of the tour, i will be changing mt supported team to every team that plays the Lions. He He. Quick! Tarbh, Southern Kings need a support logo!!!

Ahem, Jer1cho, it is not the franchise but the Union playing tonight so we'll be wearing our traditional strip.
Keep those pre-game intro's coming.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Jun 10 2009, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ahem, Jer1cho, it is not the franchise but the Union playing tonight so we'll be wearing our traditional strip.
Keep those pre-game intro's coming.[/b]

Oops!!!

too_ashamed.jpg

Kick off in a few minutes. Lions to dominate for me, with commanding performances from the midfield and from the second row.

Latest posts