• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Shoe-Ins

For England...

Steve Thompson. Nick Easter.

... Thats pretty damn depressing. Or not in a way. Cole and Croft aren't in as I'd have no qualms starting Wilson or Robshaw. Foden likewise for Armitage or Goode. Ashton and Youngs probably be on that list, but would like prolonged evidence that they are the real deal...

Also feel that Ferris and Heaslip should be on any list of Irish shoe-ins.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Thats funny

It is.

It's also true. Now that he's got himself properly fit, he's our best hooker by some distance. Hartley's not as physically powerful as him and his throwing still has its wobbly moments, while the faults with our other hookers are pretty obvious.

The idea that Nick Easter is comfortably our best 8 is the one that really gets me if I'm honest.

Thompson is our best hooker, no arguments from me.
Easter our best 8? Nah. On his day he's solid, nothing more.
Crane is better, so is Ward-Smith, Dowson and i'd even say Haskell can be better than him (was probably the best England player during the AIs while playing 8)

Crane is better, so is Ward-Smith, Dowson and i'd even say Haskell can be better than him (was probably the best England player during the AIs while playing 8)

We made him the player he is.

On that note we did the same with Sheridan and Josh Lewsey. So there :p

On that note we did the same with Sheridan
I didn't reaise he was a Lock before a prop, or played 8 while at Bristol as well! or that he was there for the long, for that matter
They should stick him at 8 in a match, and just have him crush everything in front of him

I didn't reaise he was a Lock before a prop, or played 8 while at Bristol as well! or that he was there for the long, for that matter
They should stick him at 8 in a match, and just have him crush everything in front of him

He wasn't that bad at 8 if I remember rightly. Only played if the 8's at the time who for the life of me I cant think who they would have been. Salter and Ben Sturnham probably, I'll have to check. Just lacked that bit of speed and settled at prop very quickly.

Edit- Actually I was wrong with our 8's at that time (circa 2000-2003) they would have been; Rhys Oakley, Dean Ryan, Jim Brownrigg and Matt Salter. My god, in finding that out I've forgotten the amount of good players we have had over the last 10 years.

Last edited:

Ok, now THATS funny.

Haskell should be a better 8 and has the potential, but won't do it while playing 6 all the time and he won't be playing 8 ahead of Parisse. I think the boat has sailed on DWS and they seem intent on turning him into a lock anyway and I'd love to take a look at Dowson, but until he's prove himself internationally, I'd always pick Easter ahead of him. Also, he really needs to start playing 8 at club level too.

Guest should be playing somewhere other than Quins to get first team gameteam to challenge him... but frankly, I'm just hoping that someone like Fearns or Gibson stamps down a marker soon.

Fearns has potential, but i don't think he'll be taking the no.8 off of Sisa Koyamaibole anytime soon at Sale, so might not have the opportunity to show it
I'm a big fan of Jordan Crane as well.
Who's Gibson?

Thats a sodding arse. I've seen Sale fans elsewhere talking about Fearns as a potential 8 very soon. Ousting seniors gives youngsters a challenge, it gives the good ones motivation, but its still annoying to see sometimes when you're pretty certain he'd just shine if given a chance. Fingers crossed it comes his way, if not, I hope he's sensible and clears off sharpish to somewhere that will.

Jordan Crane imo is the poor man's Nick Easter.

Jamie Gibson was the big lad from London Irish rampaging around for England U-20s this summer. Played a fair bit for LI at the tail of last season. Clearly got something, although may not end up at 8. If he's got a choice though he will. England have a ridiculous level of choice at 6, a fair level at 7 and bugger all at 8.

Personnalyy i think Englands best choice for 8 lies with james haskell ..his acceleration is crazyly fast and off the back of the scrum will do wonders if given the chance

Thats a sodding arse. I've seen Sale fans elsewhere talking about Fearns as a potential 8 very soon. Ousting seniors gives youngsters a challenge, it gives the good ones motivation, but its still annoying to see sometimes when you're pretty certain he'd just shine if given a chance. Fingers crossed it comes his way, if not, I hope he's sensible and clears off sharpish to somewhere that will.
I think he might get a good chance this season thinking about it. The new coach, Mike Brewer, looks like he's going to change things around a lot. He also seems a bit miffed at how much money Sale have been pumping into some players (apparently Sisa is one of the highest earners). I remember Fearns getting a few starts at 8, and a fair few bench spots. Hopefully he can impress in pre-season and make his way into the starting XV.

I remember Gibson now, thinking about it. The name rang a bell, but then i didn't see him mentioned on any of the team lists on wikipedia, but if he's an U20 he wouldn't show up

i think that haskell is far more dynamic then Easter he is younger, Faster and stronger. however he is just missing something he played amazingly against wales last 6n but after that he didnt play that well easter just seems to have a better rugby brain.
I thnk Cueto is a shoe in yer sure he is not that good but is there anyone else to replace him?

Younger? yes. Faster? barely. Stronger? not in a million years. Dynamic? He doesn't have the mental capacity to be "dynamic". Plus his gameplan runs as:

- Take ball into contact
- Eye gouge opponent
- Fake injury
- Whine to Jeff Probyn
- Take ball into contact
- Eye gouge opponent
- Fake injury
- Whine to Jeff Probyn
- Repeat

Younger? yes. Faster? barely. Stronger? not in a million years. Dynamic? He doesn't have the mental capacity to be "dynamic".

im sorry but that is just not true James Haskell bench presses 140kg for 1rm and squads god no's how much.

and on the england weight circuit he did 2nd best in the whole team. he runs the hundred a whole second quicker then easter

please visit

ww.uk.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_250/289_james-haskell-training-guide.html

if you dont believe me about james haskells bench press weight

and visit
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/rugby_union/article6906816.ece

to read about the weight circuit result (ignor the **** about bannahan)

and finaly please visit the rbs6 nations website and click on nick easters profile where it says he is not as dynamic as Haskell:D:D

im sorry but that is just not true James Haskell bench presses 140kg for 1rm and squads god no's how much.

and on the england weight circuit he did 2nd best in the whole team. he runs the hundred a whole second quicker then easter

please visit

ww.uk.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_250/289_james-haskell-training-guide.html

if you dont believe me about james haskells bench press weight

and visit
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/rugby_union/article6906816.ece

to read about the weight circuit result (ignor the **** about bannahan)

and finaly please visit the rbs6 nations website and click on nick easters profile where it says he is not as dynamic as Haskell:D:D

Gym strength and match strength are 2 different things IMO. I alwasy thought Easter was a great man for trucking it up, certainly better than Haskell

Gym strength and match strength are 2 different things IMO. I alwasy thought Easter was a great man for trucking it up, certainly better than Haskell

Exactly, I can't think of many situations on the Rugby pitch you'd need to benchpress.

Exactly, I can't think of many situations on the Rugby pitch you'd need to benchpress.

it is key for handing of and ripping the ball also whats this match strength and gym strength do you suddenly get weaker when you get on pitch lol it doesnt happen for me

it is key for handing of and ripping the ball also whats this match strength and gym strength do you suddenly get weaker when you get on pitch lol it doesnt happen for me

Well put it this way I am 5 .11 or that and 12 stone dont go to the gym alot but still yesterday put a guy 6 .4 and 16 stone onto the flat of his back with a handoff and have not lost an armwrestle since last july..Yet I struggle to bench more than 60 Kg

Real strength is mesured in what you have the capacity to do to your opponents using technique and skill and ability to adapt to the forces that counter your movement.. not how much iron you can lift in a certain direction in a set movement .

I'd take Haskell over Easter any day of the week, even if it's just to wind Mite up.

You'd take him any day of the week just because he's almost as much of a self important **** as Henson.

Latest posts