• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Six Nations 2018] - Ireland

Looks like we're not only set to give young players a chance, but Ronan O'Gara, Girve the Swerve and Felix Jones are set to be involved in the coaching for our Japan tour
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rug...or-summer-tour-to-usa-and-japan-35596204.html

Strange in a way as Schmidt is only loosing Farrell. ROG does defence so can see logic there. I think Felix and Girv can add though to Irish camp. Felix I'm seeing first hand everyday developing in to a Worldclass coach. His physiological background is standing toward him

I can't see any negatives to this. It exposes Felix Jones, Ronan O'Gara and Girvan Dempsey to a new environment, new coaching techniques and methods. Along with developing players, we need to develop better coaches in their country.

Spending a fortune on the likes of Joe Schmidt, Rassie Erasmus, Les Kiss, Stuart Lancaster and Jono Gibbes is the correct thing to do right now but if Ireland can develop their own pool of top coaches, the large salaries of these foreign coaches could be spend on further player development.

Was speaking with Peter Malone tonight. On summer tour he reckons James Hart and Chris Farrell may travel on summer tour. Really think Hart may put pressure on for 21 shirt. Very little between McGrath Marmion and himself but they're all different.
Farrell I'm not shocked at if he goes. Schmidt has said plenty of times he's a fan and Schmidt played a part in bringing him back

Was speaking with Peter Malone tonight. On summer tour he reckons James Hart and Chris Farrell may travel on summer tour. Really think Hart may put pressure on for 21 shirt. Very little between McGrath Marmion and himself but they're all different.
Farrell I'm not shocked at if he goes. Schmidt has said plenty of times he's a fan and Schmidt played a part in bringing him back

I'd be surprised if Hart went. Not surprised if Farrell went but I think he is injured at the moment.

So now the Lions is done what do we reckon summer will be.

Healy
Kilcoyne
Dooley
Ryan
Bealham

Scannell
Cronin
Tracy

Ryan
Toner
Dillane
Holland

Leavy
Van Der Flier
Conan
Heaslip
O'Donnell
Oliver (I hope)

Marmion
McGrath

Jackson
Carbery

Scannell
Ringrose
Olding
Farrell

Zebo
Earls
Byrne
Conway
Sweetnam
Trimble

James Cronin replaces Kilcoyne. Correct call as Cronin has been immense since return from injury. Won't be in the 23 be definitely won't be out of depth if called upon.

Ireland gone to Spain for warm weather training and change of scenery from Carton House

Cronin a better scrummager and less likely to give the stupid penalty. Good call from Schmidt. He obviously doesn't have a Kilcoyne/Healy carrying game but he's been great since injury for sure.

I don't even know what to say anymore. The hype around Ireland in our media is ridiculous at the moment. We all know how hype and Irish rugby end up. Yet one can't help but feel optimistic. All the boxes are ticked.

Established team with a developed gameplan, coach with a vision, mix of veterans/Lions and exciting youngsters? Check
Good summer and autumn run? Check
Provincial success? Check
Other teams suffering injury crises? Check
Ireland not suffering from game-changing injuries? Check
Bulk of our squad in form? Check

I mean you probably could've said the same about last year but I think the biggest difference here is the changes in our back-line. A very (and moreso than last 6N) in form Earls, Stockdale, Carbery, Conway and possibly Larmour actually scoring tries with the territory and possession we tend to dominate might mean we'll win games like Wales last year and NZ just before. Not to forget Kearney's recent good showings too. Ireland have for a while now been at the forefront of bossing the forwards dogfights. Our lack of attacking spark has let us down at times the past two years. This could be the year where it all clicks together. Joe's master plan. Who knows?

That said this is the 6N and absolutely can and will happen. I know FrenchFan is very pessimistic but a young French team with a new coach and nothing to lose but everything to play for could be a real threat. I mean Ireland just about avoided the wooden spoon in 2013 yet were champions next year. Turn arounds happen. That said I'd still fancy us but they could come out all guns blazing and catch us off guard. Hopefully we can just strangle the life out of them before the match even starts. I am pumped.

I back us against Scotland at home. We will be wanting revenge, and their injury-laden pack should be no match for ours. Not to write them off or anything I am always cautious but out of the 4 games that matter (sorry Italy) I think this one could cause us the least stress. They are the dark horse and all though (but aren't they always?)

Wales I have no idea. Gatland is not to be underestimated, and an injection of youth especially from an in-form Scarlets squad could be exactly what the doctor ordered. I am always skeptical of Wales, they always really turn up against us and have broken our hearts many times. Our recent history against them is not that pretty. We have won THREE of the last 10 matches against them.

It's so hard to call it on England. Given their amazing depth and generally great squad + their home fixtures your head can't help but back them. Not forgetting that they have lost just one game in 2016 and 2017. However that game was against us, and never has there been a three-in-a-row winner in the 6N.

Last year's 6N was exciting, close, dramatic and had some damn good rugby on display. This year looks set to be even better.

I think you make a lot of good points. Earls is at a new level imo and Stockdale / Larmour provide an extra spark I just don't think we had last year like you say. Interesting to hear Kearney in an interview saying they're very much focused not only on the French game, but the first 20-30 minutes. Given what happened last year in Scotland, that's good to hear. I think we'll be prepared for anything France throw at us. What happened last year in the first round may help us prepare a lot better mentally.

My views yes we have players to score tries but not the gameplan. We play restricted but get the results. Can see us winning 3 or 4. Hard to see us win in London

Wow Sam Arnold I knew was in Spain for camp but fact they'v officilly confirmed he with squad I presume means he becomes a live option

How good has he been for Munster? Haven't seen him play at all really. He played a decent bit with Stockdale in his younger years

Latest posts