TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
So it's nearly time for the tests... Have my fellow NH TRF colleagues had a look at some of the SA players, and which guys do they think will be in our squad?

I'll admit I haven't watched many SA Super Rugby games this season (they tend to be on at awkward times - I'll watch the NZ/Aus ones before Uni/the gym, but SA ones tend to be on in the early evening when I'm at training or something) - but I really think Peter Grant should be in there - been very impressed with him.

Errrmmm, I mean: Play Morne Steyn at 10 and tell him to kick at Ben Foden all day, he's terrible under the high ball and on the counter, it's a sure fire way to smash us :(

Am I right in thinking that two up-and-coming 10s (Lambie and...Goosen, is it?) are both injured?

Last edited:
Am I right in thinking that two up-and-coming 10s (Lambie and...Goosen, is it?) are both injured?

Goosen yes, but I thought Lambie just had the flu?

In an ideal world Goosen would be my Flyhalf, with Lambie at Fullback.

I am really excited by the amount of young players doing well for the S.A Super teams, the only concern maybe being almost all of them are forwards. Though I agree with many others that we should pick experience, I would love to see a couple of young guns get a go. Our depth at loosies seems to be getting deeper and deeper, with the likes of Marcell Coetzee, CJ Stander and Siyanda Kolisi all looking like Bok potential. I would like to see one of these three get a start against the English with Brussow and Spies outside of him for experience. Would also like to see Willem Alberts on the bench as an impact player, despite his lack of form.

But by some distance, our brightest young talent is Eben Etzebeth. The guy is just a beast, and cannot wait for him to wear the Bok jersey.

I am really excited by the amount of young players doing well for the S.A Super teams, the only concern maybe being almost all of them are forwards. Though I agree with many others that we should pick experience, I would love to see a couple of young guns get a go. Our depth at loosies seems to be getting deeper and deeper, with the likes of Marcell Coetzee, CJ Stander and Siyanda Kolisi all looking like Bok potential. I would like to see one of these three get a start against the English with Brussow and Spies outside of him for experience. Would also like to see Willem Alberts on the bench as an impact player, despite his lack of form.

But by some distance, our brightest young talent is Eben Etzebeth. The guy is just a beast, and cannot wait for him to wear the Bok jersey.

And Coenie Oosthuizen... for a prop he steals a lot of ball at ruck time... Our youth players are very Impressive, CJ Stander and Marcell Coetzee are also my picks along with Etzebeth, Goosen and Coenie

Goosen yes, but I thought Lambie just had the flu?

In an ideal world Goosen would be my Flyhalf, with Lambie at Fullback.
Ah, I wasn't sure, just heard he had to pull out of the last Sharks game :D

Aplon and Habana look to be in great form as well (or at least did a couple of rounds ago: the last time I watched them play), so will be looking forward to (and dreading!) seeing them play.

I agree with ginger, wouldn't mind seeing those guys play in a bok jersey.

I'd prefer Lambie starting, he's a great fly-half.

Anyone keen to make a prediction as to who our 22 will be?
This is not necessarily what I want to see but this is my guess:

1. Coenie Oosthuizen (there can be no other based on form, beast might get the tried and tested nod, and greyling might get the "in the bulls nod" but w/e)
2. Bismarc du Plessis
3. Jannie du Plessis (no other stand-out tight heads sadly, I don't rate him but what can you do)
4. Eben Etzebeth (If there is one youngster who needs to play NOW it's Etzebeth
5. Adries Bekker (not in the greatest of form but I don't think you can start Kruger with Etzebeth from the get go)
6. Heinrich Brussow (we have plenty of great 6's, stander comes to mind but you can't really replace a fetcher of such quality with a basher)
7. ?? (really not sure here, schalk would be here if he wasn't injured, Stander or Coetzee I'd guess)
8. Spies (no other dedicated 8's who have really put out much of a claim out there)
9. Hougard (Duh)
10. Steyn (no Goosen means no question)
11. Habana (He's on form, works hard and is experienced, can't see him not being picked)
12. Frans Steyn
13. Juan de Jonge
14. Lwazi Mvovo (or at least I hope!)
15. Pat Lambie

I was gonna do the rest but I think I've made it fairly clear who the other choices are. I've probably missed tons of choices but the above is my best bet.

edit: Although I did here a rumour that Adriaan Strauss would captain the Springboks, If true I would feel sorry for Bismarc but i kinda get the decision.

Anyone keen to make a prediction as to who our 22 will be?
This is not necessarily what I want to see but this is my guess:

1. Coenie Oosthuizen (there can be no other based on form, beast might get the tried and tested nod, and greyling might get the "in the bulls nod" but w/e)
2. Bismarc du Plessis
3. Jannie du Plessis (no other stand-out tight heads sadly, I don't rate him but what can you do)
4. Eben Etzebeth (If there is one youngster who needs to play NOW it's Etzebeth
5. Adries Bekker (not in the greatest of form but I don't think you can start Kruger with Etzebeth from the get go)
6. Heinrich Brussow (we have plenty of great 6's, stander comes to mind but you can't really replace a fetcher of such quality with a basher)
7. ?? (really not sure here, schalk would be here if he wasn't injured, Stander or Coetzee I'd guess)
8. Spies (no other dedicated 8's who have really put out much of a claim out there)
9. Hougard (Duh)
10. Steyn (no Goosen means no question)
11. Habana (He's on form, works hard and is experienced, can't see him not being picked)
12. Frans Steyn
13. Juan de Jonge
14. Lwazi Mvovo (or at least I hope!)
15. Pat Lambie

I was gonna do the rest but I think I've made it fairly clear who the other choices are. I've probably missed tons of choices but the above is my best bet.

edit: Although I did here a rumour that Adriaan Strauss would captain the Springboks, If true I would feel sorry for Bismarc but i kinda get the decision.

3. Werner Kruger
7. Marcell Coetzee/CJ Stander/Josh Strauss
11 & 14. Bjorn Basson/JP Pietersen/Willie le Roux
15. Jaco Taute

A thread for discussing the SA squad for the England tests that are approaching.

Could you explain the logic for us NH'ers, because to me not playing Du Plessis is a bonkers call.

Also, you guys are sorted for scrum-halfs yeah? None of this calling back Pienaar malarky plz. Guy needs a holiday.

Will be interesting to see who is named captain. I think long term it will be Burger, but as he is injured, it's really between Spies and JDV.

Could you explain the logic for us NH'ers, because to me not playing Du Plessis is a bonkers call.

Also, you guys are sorted for scrum-halfs yeah? None of this calling back Pienaar malarky plz. Guy needs a holiday.

Well it's two-fold: 1. SA needs a new Captain
2. Adriaan Strauss has been the on-form hooker in the Super Rugby tournament so far. While I also think it's a stupid idea to not play Bismarck, you have too understand the mindset that the coaches are looking at. And Bismarck has a discipline problem just like his brother.

As for Pienaar, I wouldn't pick him now, Francois Hougaard, Piet van Zyl, and Dewald Duvenage are great scrummies and get the ball much faster to the backline than what pienaar does. With what I've read and heard, that's what Heyneke Meyer wants, quick ball to our big guys at centre or flyers on the wing. And with all the great runners also popping left right and centre in the forwards, pienaar might just stem the flow a bit.

If you get the chance, watch a Cheetahs game (if you haven't seen much of them). Strauss is having a blinder of a season and is consistently one of the best players on the pitch. Definitely worth giving him a go on this form. Just shows how good SA forwards are when BdP is a shot at missing out.

For me BDP has to start, no doubt. He has earned his chance, after wrongfully been placed on the bench for the past two years. However, I'm more than happy for Strauss to be on the bench, he deserves a run.

For me BDP has to start, no doubt. He has earned his chance, after wrongfully been placed on the bench for the past two years. However, I'm more than happy for Strauss to be on the bench, he deserves a run.

Okay, new law! there must now be 2 hookers between the props at scrum time!

I will admit to having watched virtually no Super Rugby this season - but I do know du Plessis has been very good for SA whenever I've watched him, so Strauss must be going amazingly.

I'm curious to see if Frans Steyn will be wearing a bok jersey this summer.

Boks have a lot of depth... but I feel it is not evenly spread. A lot of hookers and loosies, a few young talented 10s, very skilful 13s and fast wingers. On the other hand, they're not as good as they used to be concerning props, locks and scrummies.

I saw the cheetas-sharks game last weekend and both #13s are real class. I can't see JdJ getting the nod.

Latest posts