• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Squad Selections

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Oct 9 2008, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Cyril, your starting 22 has a distinct lack of James Hook.

You choose Stephen 'hunchback of notre dame' Jones?
I'd rather wilkinson than Jones![/b]
You make it obvious you missed the SA tour as Stephen Jones was one of our best players. <_<

1-Sheridan , overated but best available
2-Ford/Hartleys obviously a man for the next tour, very talented
3-Jenkins, is he any good at tight head? no one else stands out tbh
4-Kennedy, did well in NZ
5-O'Connell, he was **** on the last tour but should turn that around..
6-Strokosch, great ball carrier, hard worker
7-Reece, great at the breakdown, vital to combat Burger
8-Haskell, hes strong enough and quick enough to be at 8
9-Mike Blair, great skill and pace
10-Hook, a bit lightweight but he has the all round game to cement his place at pivot
11-Williams, obv..
12-Henson, im a bit sceptical but hes clearly the best inside centre at the moment available
13-Roberts, seems like a gamebreaker, lack of a kicking game doesnt matter
14-Sean Lamont, great broken field runner, we need to be more attacking minded than last time
15-Kearney,just adges Byrne because he seems a better runner

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ Oct 10 2008, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I feel its the best compromise available, who would you pick?[/b]
6. Haskell
7. Rees
8. Jones
? Or you could swap Jones and Haskell. Strokosch? Not on your life...

Haskell, Williams and Jones. Strokosch hardly has any international experience and would get ripped apart.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Oct 10 2008, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Haskell, Williams and Jones. Strokosch hardly has any international experience and would get ripped apart.[/b]

Why would he get ripped apart? this is just a daft assumption.

I based my backrow on one which could combat the Bok backrow to full effect. Picking the "best" players doesnt necessarily work. For me Williams is far to lightweight, although he gets away with it in the NH against Burger and Smith he would be "ripped apart". Burger,Smith and Spies are all strong ball carriers, but Burger is the only good scavenger. Thats why i picked Reece as he is a similar type of player while i feel Strokosch and Haskell could also match Smith and Spies in the physicality department.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Oct 10 2008, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ Oct 10 2008, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
6. Haskell
7. Rees
8. Jones
[/b][/quote]

Yes but it is just an opinion of course, you guys are Welsh as is Jones so i wouldnt expect you to look elsewhere except your own players..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ Oct 10 2008, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yes but it is just an opinion of course, you guys are Welsh as is Jones so i wouldnt expect you to look elsewhere except your own players..[/b]
I know, amazing how us biased Welsh are picking a Grand Slam winning captain and player of the year nominee over some guy who's had very little experience at international level and can barely stamp down a starting spot at the Glaws...
:rolleyes:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ Oct 10 2008, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Oct 10 2008, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ Oct 10 2008, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
6. Haskell
7. Rees
8. Jones
[/b][/quote]

Yes but it is just an opinion of course, you guys are Welsh as is Jones so i wouldnt expect you to look elsewhere except your own players..
[/b][/quote]
He captained the Grand Slam team, has the experience of playing the Boks/Proteas (;)) and isn't a bad player really. Regardless of whether your Welsh or not I think you can agree with that.
Strokosch has won 1 cap for Scotland 2 years ago and can't get in the Gloucester team when Delve is fit.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Oct 10 2008, 09:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ Oct 10 2008, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Oct 10 2008, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
6. Haskell
7. Rees
8. Jones
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
He captained the Grand Slam team, has the experience of playing the Boks/Proteas (;)) and isn't a bad player really. Regardless of whether your Welsh or not I think you can agree with that.
Strokosch has won 1 cap for Scotland 2 years ago and can't get in the Gloucester team when Delve is fit.
[/b][/quote]

What :huh: , he played in the last 3, 6 nations matches this year and was man of the match in two of them. Glouscester, rotate their backrow, like Sale, in the big games he starts.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ Oct 10 2008, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What :huh: , he played in the last 3, 6 nations matches this year and was man of the match in two of them. Glouscester, rotate their backrow, like Sale, in the big games he starts.[/b]
And that still justifies him being picked over a player of the year nominee and Grand-Slam winning captain? Don't let your Scottish bias cloud your better judgement now. ;)

You're right. I've been drinking. I shall shrink away with my tail between my legs.

Still don't think he's good enough though... ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Oct 10 2008, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ Oct 10 2008, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What :huh: , he played in the last 3, 6 nations matches this year and was man of the match in two of them. Glouscester, rotate their backrow, like Sale, in the big games he starts.[/b]
And that still justifies him being picked over a player of the year nominee and Grand-Slam winning captain? Don't let your Scottish bias cloud your better judgement now. ;)
[/b][/quote]

Yes

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Oct 9 2008, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Oct 9 2008, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cyril, your starting 22 has a distinct lack of James Hook.

You choose Stephen 'hunchback of notre dame' Jones?
I'd rather wilkinson than Jones![/b]
You make it obvious you missed the SA tour as Stephen Jones was one of our best players. <_<
[/b][/quote]

Lol. You've got a fair point there.
But Jones was one of our best players? Yikes, either your turk bias is overwhelming you or that really was a mediocre 2 test by our boys. :angry:

:lol:
Cyril, not a day goes by where you don't make me chuckle/giggle/***ter/laugh at something anti-turk or just generally humorous.

If say O'Gara is chosen as the Lion's test no.10, then in the following 6N Hook is then picked to play against him.

Gatland is going there as head coach so final decision will be made by committee and not one man so Gatlands view want be only one.

As for who should coach them on tour, I HOPE Kingsley Jones is involved somewhere, IMO Phil Davies seems to be in pole position given his role with the U20's (not that I actually agree with that

Latest posts